Health and cakey strike again..

Got jokes? Funny images? Your tales of disaster? Youtube links?
Post them and share them.
Let the world laugh with you, (more fun if it's at you!)
Gob

Re: Health and cakey strike again..

Post by Gob »

Scooter wrote:Where it would be reasonably expected that others might be consuming food would be the operative phrase.

That doesn't include a library.
Most libraries, here in Aus and in the UK, have meeting rooms and community rooms attached, these are used for community events and meetings like the one in the OP. Charity coffee mornings and WI cake sales often take place there.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

So if those rooms are also used for events that are geared to children, then children with potentially fatal food allergies shouldn't be welcome to participate so that others can eat peanut butter cookies?
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

@meric@nwom@n

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

Any child who is deathly allergic to peanuts should be home schooled. It makes a hell of a lot more sense than trying to make the world change habits to suit them.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Scooter wrote:So if those rooms are also used for events that are geared to children, then children with potentially fatal food allergies shouldn't be welcome to participate so that others can eat peanut butter cookies?
What?

If a room is ever used by some one who may eat a peanut, then it becomes verboten for any child to use it, in case they have a peanut allergy?

So peanuts cannot be consumed in any public place? That's a bit odd, I'm sure I can go into any public place with a bar of peanut brittle and not kill anyone.

This is geting a bit extreme. :)

BTW did the group in the OP remind anyone of this?
We are the Village Green Preservation Society
God save Donald Duck, Vaudeville and Variety
We are the Desperate Dan Appreciation Society
God save strawberry jam and all the different varieties
Preserving the old ways from being abused
Protecting the new ways for me and for you
What more can we do

We are the Draught Beer Preservation Society
God save Mrs. Mopp and good Old Mother Riley
We are the Custard Pie Appreciation Consortium
God save the George Cross and all those who were awarded them
We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular
Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula

We are the Office Block Persecution Affinity
God save little shops, china cups and virginity
We are the Skyscraper Condemnation Affiliate
God save tudor houses, antique tables and billiards
Preserving the old ways from being abused
Protecting the new ways for me and for you

What more can we do
God save the Village Green
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

@meric@nwom@n

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

You know, contact with the bumper of a car is potentially fatal too, (particularly the airborne ones) yet I see no one calling for a ban on cars etc. What do we do with little kids and young people to keep them safe from cars? We supervise and educate them and teach them of the danger to themselves if they make improper contact with a car.

The key is not to expect the whole world to change to keep your kid safe, rather you should be diligent and teach diligence from an early age.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

@meric@nwom@n wrote:What do we do with little kids and young people to keep them safe from cars?
We pass laws to keep them off sidewalks where children walk, and out of the parks where they play, and we paint stop lines at intersections forcing them to keep well away from any child crossing the street.

Sounds a lot like what we do with peanuts in areas where children are known to gather.

-- Author unknown

@meric@nwom@n

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

Sounds a lot like what we do with peanuts in areas where children are known to gather.
As a matter of fact some research indicates that banning peanuts will cause more prevalence of allergies to the nuts.

Banning the peanut is not the answer, Educating the kids who have the allergy is the correct approach.

@meric@nwom@n

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/1 ... -hysteria/
Dr. Christakis notes that while it’s reasonable for schools and parents to take basic precautions, there is no scientific evidence that nut bans are particularly effective at protecting children. But more important, he argues, is that limiting widespread exposure to nuts can make things worse. The “policy of avoidance” means that fewer children are being exposed to nuts, likely increasing their risk for developing an allergy. A 2008 study in The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology of 10,000 British children found that early exposure to peanuts lowers risk of allergy, rather than increasing it.
Now I suggest that those with kids who have allergies assume responsibility for the situation and leave everyone else alone.

Sean

Post by Sean »

I must say that I'm in complete agreement with @W on this one. Whilst all reasonable efforts should be made to warn people where nuts are/may be present the end responsibility must lie with the parent.
Why is it that when Miley Cyrus gets naked and licks a hammer it's 'art' and 'edgy' but when I do it I'm 'drunk' and 'banned from the hardware store'?

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I must say that I'm in complete agreement with @W on this one
I second that.

Just seems like common sense to me.
ImageImageImage

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

So would it be common sense to rescind bans on knives at school, placing the responsibility with parents who don't want their children to be stabeed to instruct them to avoid the pointy end :roll:

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

@meric@nwom@n wrote:http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/1 ... -hysteria/
Dr. Christakis notes that while it’s reasonable for schools and parents to take basic precautions, there is no scientific evidence that nut bans are particularly effective at protecting children. But more important, he argues, is that limiting widespread exposure to nuts can make things worse. The “policy of avoidance” means that fewer children are being exposed to nuts, likely increasing their risk for developing an allergy. A 2008 study in The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology of 10,000 British children found that early exposure to peanuts lowers risk of allergy, rather than increasing it.
Now I suggest that those with kids who have allergies assume responsibility for the situation and leave everyone else alone.
When they say early exposure they mean by age 2 or 3. By the time kids are school aged it is already too late.

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Scooter wrote:So would it be common sense to rescind bans on knives at school, placing the responsibility with parents who don't want their children to be stabeed to instruct them to avoid the pointy end :roll:
Well, i guess if students/others carrying knives were as common as those eating treats containing peanuts you might have a point; but as they aren't, I fail to see the connection. Now teaching children to avoid the pints of pencils/pens rather than banning them is quite similar, and i agree education here is the best policy, not a wholesale ban on pointy pencils and pens.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The difference being that pencils and pens are necessary tools in the learning process, while peanuts and any foods containing them are not. To those whom they can harm, they are as deadly as knives.

But I guess anyone afraid of getting stabbed can be home schooled.

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Pens and pencils necessary? why not use chalk, pastels, crayons, and computers with printers. Granted the alternatives are not as good, but then to some the alternative (non peanut) snacks are not as good either.

But the real point is, the world won't change because some have allergies, and if someone has an allergy serious enough to cause death if they come upon a few airborne particles/molecules, the cannot rely on anyone else to protect them, they must take steps to protect themselves. Certainly this is not fair, but then it is the only way they can remain safe. I have a serious allergy to kiwi, and even if I just eat fruit that comes in contact with it I will develop respiratory problems. I found out a long time ago that no matter how much I stress this to servers (flight attendants, etc.), I will be told no kiwi is in a fruit plate when it was merely removed--and I have gotten sick several times (once very sick) because of it. My remedy, I cannot eat fruit salad at any public venue--the downside is too problematic (and could be tragic).

Likewise, anyone with a serious airborne alergy cannot trust that the areas are not contaminated; they must take the appropriate steps to protect themselves (even if this means avoiding a lot of public places) precisely because the downside of a mistake is far too serious to take a chance.

loCAtek

Post by loCAtek »

Children with Type I diabetes regularly attend public schools.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

If there is supposed to be a germane point there, it seems to have whizzed over my head.

The issue is not kids with allergies eating things they know they should not, but rather inadvertently being exposed to things that could kill them.

Last time I checked, a diabetic is not going to have a health crisis by being hugged or kissed or breathed on by someone who has eaten sugar.

-- Author unknown

Sean

Post by Sean »

Scooter wrote:So would it be common sense to rescind bans on knives at school, placing the responsibility with parents who don't want their children to be stabeed to instruct them to avoid the pointy end :roll:
Apples and oranges. Give me one good reason why a parent would ever wish to send their child to school with a knife?

That's as bad as the old chestnut of comparing guns with cars... :roll:
Why is it that when Miley Cyrus gets naked and licks a hammer it's 'art' and 'edgy' but when I do it I'm 'drunk' and 'banned from the hardware store'?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

What? you don't think it would be a bad idea to send a child to school with a car?
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Gob

Post by Gob »

We must ban bananas from all public places too;
To be allergic to banana you body's immune system must be overacting to the banana protein chitinase. Another cause of the allergy reaction could be due to intolerance to bananas and not a true allergy reaction. This intolerance could be caused by Vaso-active amines.

Vaso-active amines are histamine like substances that occur naturally in foods and can trigger symptoms that can mimic allergy reactions. Vaso-active amines are called histamine, phenyl-ethylamine, serotonin, tyramine and dopamine.

Serotonin is found in banana, and the symptom of serotonine ingestion include cramping, flushing of the skin, headache, and heart palpitations. The severity of the symptoms is dependent on the amount the histamine like substance ingested and the lack of the histamine metabolizing enzyme diamine oxidase in your system.

http://www.helium.com/items/347082-what ... to-bananas
Fish and crustaceans are out;
Seafood allergy: A seafood allergy is an adverse reaction by the body's immune system to seafood or food containing seafood. The specific symptoms that can result can vary considerably amongst patients from a severe anaphylactic reaction to asthma, abdominal symptoms, eczema or headaches

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/s/seafood ... /intro.htm
Nothing with eggs in it;
The majority of immediate allergic reactions to egg are mild and consist of hives around the mouth or more generalised hives on other parts of the body. Swelling of the lips and around the eyes can also occur. Some children may develop hives from skin contact with egg. This can happen when foods such as cake mixes or batters touch the skin. Raw egg is more likely to produce these contact reactions than cooked egg. These reactions are usually restricted to the area of skin that comes into contact with the egg and do not always mean your child will develop worse symptoms from eating egg. Sometimes hives around the mouth or eyes can occur from skin contact with egg but may resemble the reaction that occurs from eating egg. Your doctor will help to sort this out.

http://www.chw.edu.au/parents/factsheet ... llergy.htm
Vegetarians are fucked too;
The reported symptoms of soy allergy include: acne, angioedema, rhinitis, anaphylaxis, asthma, atopic dermatitis, bronchospasm, colitis, conjunctivitis, diarrhea, diffuse small bowel disease, dyspnea, eczema, enterocolitis, fever, hypotension, itching, laryngeal edema, lethargy, pollinosis, urticaria, vomiting, and wheezing.

http://www.soya.be/soy-allergy.php