Name That Movie!

Got jokes? Funny images? Your tales of disaster? Youtube links?
Post them and share them.
Let the world laugh with you, (more fun if it's at you!)
Lord Jim

Re: Name That Movie!

Post by Lord Jim »

Crackpot wrote:You could have waited a couple of more minutes before answering Jim some one might have got it in those last 14 minutes.
That's exactly the kind of snark I'd expect from

ImageImageImage

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

This one is a real classic from the 1940s with some A+ list talent from that period...

I hadn't seen it in years, and then caught it in the past few days on a channel called "MOVIES!"...

If you like genuine classic movies, (and don't want to spring for premium options like Showtime's The Movie Channel or Turner's Classic Movies) you might find it available on your local basic package...

It's kind of like the way AMC was originally (When "AMC" actually stood for "American Movie Classics")

https://moviestvnetwork.com/

First quote:
“You hick! I’ll be back pulling strings to get guys elected mayor and governor before you ever get a 10-buck raise. Yeah, how many of those guys in office owe everything to me. I made them. Yeah, I made ’em, just like a — like a tailor makes a suit of clothes.

I take a nobody, see? Teach him what to say. Get his name in the papers and pay for his campaign expenses. Dish out a lotta groceries and coal. Get my boys to bring the voters out. And then count the votes over and over again till they added up right and he was elected. Yeah — then what happens? Did he remember when the going got tough, when the heat was on? No, he didn’t wanna. All he wanted was to save his own dirty neck . . . Yeah, ‘Public Enemy,’ he calls me. Me, who gave him his ‘Public’ all wrapped up with a fancy bow on it.”
Last edited by Lord Jim on Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Good one Jim; and some of the language might lead people to guess another movie which came out a little after this one. This is a great film and is part of my collection. It's also one I'd bet many here have seen.

RayThom

PLEASE... Name That Movie!

Post by RayThom »

After much thought and deliberation...

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Not a bad guess based on the quote BSG, but no...

Despite that quote, politics is not really the primary theme of the film...(Another good guess based just on that quote might be All The King's Men, but that's not it either...)

And Ray, well, you know...
ImageImageImage

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I figured it wasn’t right, since the tone of the politics in the quote doesn’t really fit - I meant it more as a joke.

I AM very curious to learn the film! I googled it once and have already completely forgotten - I just love middle aged brain!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

All the King's Men was the one I thought people might guess because of "hick" in the quote.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

When it comes to film knowledge some of us are haves, and some are have nots.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

You sly devil. :lol:

dales

Post by dales »

I thought I had the Key to the guess with "All The King's Men".

Oh, well.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Okay, we've had a couple of more clues...

A subtle one from Long Run, and a more direct one from Dale...By my count we have at least 3 people here who know the answer, but still no takers, so here's another quote:
After living in the USA for more than thirty-five years they called me an undesirable alien. Me. J_____ R_____. Like I was a dirty Red or something!
And an audio/visual clue:

And one more clip clue, just because I like this one (They've got a Tricia Nixon look-alike...or maybe she came up from Key Biscayne to do a cameo... )

ImageImageImage

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

The tempo of the responses is slowing to a crawl--from adagio to largo. Indeed, that may well be the key to the answer.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Big RR wrote:The tempo of the responses is slowing to a crawl--from adagio to largo. Indeed, that may well be the key to the answer.

(Yeah, you posted the words of the title in the wrong order, but you posted them, and at this point that's good enough...)

ImageImageImage

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

What? Why I never thought of that movie. :shrug

But if you insist,
A: A copper! A copper! How d'ya like that, boys? A copper. And his name is B. [He begins to laugh hysterically] And we went for it. I went for it. Treated him like a kid brother. And I was gonna split fifty-fifty with a copper. Maybe they're waitin' to pin a medal on him.

B: Solid gold. Come on, get up, get your hands up.

A: Yeah, that's it. A nice gold medal for the copper. Only maybe he's gonna get it sooner than he thinks.
an older film, but one I'd bet a lot here have seen

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

As Cagney said in "Yankee Doodle Dandy," You dirty rat... you killed my drummer."

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

And we have a winner on the first answer--I didn't even have to use "Top of the world, Ma". Over to you Ray.

RayThom

Name That Movie!

Post by RayThom »

WTF? This is distressing.

OK, I'm even going to include the character's initials to make it easy on you.

LD: Holy shit! Oh, oh this is good, you got a new cat?

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

NO! So far.