Name That Movie!

Got jokes? Funny images? Your tales of disaster? Youtube links?
Post them and share them.
Let the world laugh with you, (more fun if it's at you!)
RayThom

PLEASE, Please... Name That Movie! Please!

Post by RayThom »

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Re: Name That Movie!

Post by BoSoxGal »

:lol: :ok

No.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

(...giving Meade a little help...)
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

AAAARGH!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I'm just gonna share it here, with the next turn going to anybody who wants it:

It was fun, nothing extraordinary, but I've seen plenty worse films.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Well, I see this thread is headed towards oblivion, so:

This is flick from the late 90s that I hadn't seen for a while but just watched again this evening. Stars some well known folks:

First quote:
What is this thing? I mean, it serves no useful purpose for there to be a bunch of chompy, crushy things in the middle of a hallway. No, I mean we shouldn't have to do this, it makes no logical sense, why is it here?
ImageImageImage

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

best. SF. movie. ever.

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Eight minutes, I believe that may be a record...

Over to the General...
ImageImageImage

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Thank you. Thank you very much.

Possibly #2 on that list of mine. . .
G: I'm a warrior, an assassin. I don't dance.

P: Really? Well, on my planet, we have a legend about people like you. It's called Footloose. And in it, a great hero, named Kevin Bacon, teaches an entire city full of people with sticks up their butts that, dancing, well, is the greatest thing there is.

G: ...Who put the sticks up their butts?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

That movie is #2 on what list of yours, Meade? Not one of my favorites (indeed, I'm ashamed to say I saw it, but I have a friend who loves this sort of film and he brught it over), but it was very popular so I'm certain it would be up there on many such lists. I'll leave it to someone else to answer.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

That movie is #2 on what list of yours, Meade? Not one of my favorites (indeed, I'm ashamed to say I saw it, but I have a friend who loves this sort of film and he brught it over), but it was very popular so I'm certain it would be up there on many such lists. I'll leave it to someone else to answer.

ETA: My saying I didn't care for it is a clue, which should be apparent to the regular viewer of this thread.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Apropos of nothing, one of the characters in the quote identifies themselves as 'an assassin'.  Somehow, I think that is a trade or calling or job skill that one just might maybe want to keep, oooh, you know, sorta on the down-low?

It would be like 007 identifying himself as "Bond ... James Bond.  I'm a British secret agent with MI-6 and I have a license to kill.  But pretend I didn't say that... "
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

My list of best SF films. . . although I may have been thinking of Serenity (hint: it's not that)

. . . or 12 Monkeys and it's not that either.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I did like 12 Monkeys, and I agree, it's not that.

And Jim, wasn't James Bond often identified as 007, license to kill in early films (usually by the Spectre people who met him, but also by M)? Indeed, he'd hardy be undercover since it looks like everyone knew who James Bond was and he never used an alias.

RayThom

PLEASE... Name That Movie!

Post by RayThom »

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Big RR wrote:I did like 12 Monkeys, and I agree, it's not that.

And Jim, wasn't James Bond often identified as 007, license to kill in early films (usually by the Spectre people who met him, but also by M)? Indeed, he'd hardy be undercover since it looks like everyone knew who James Bond was and he never used an alias.
An interesting fan theory making the rounds is that the name "James Bond" was as much the alias/codename as the number (007), which is why there have been — how many?  Eight (I'm counting both Barry Nelson and David Niven here) different "James Bonds" now? — and when one "Bond" retires/dies, another person assumes the mantle in much the same way we have had four different directors of MI6 already, all identified only as 'M'.  (the same might be the case for Ernst Stavro Blofeld, which would explain why he is bald, chubby Telly Savalas in one film and tall, slender, exquisitely-coiffed Max von Sydow in another)

Hey, it's no more far-fetched than the given-as-canon explanation as to why 'Dr. Who' has gone through so many permutations without a loss of continuity.
-"BB"-
Last edited by Bicycle Bill on Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

New quote
Nothing goes over my head! My reflexes are too fast, I would catch it.

Well, sometimes Ray's answers...but who'd want to catch 'em, eh? :D

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

(the same might be the case for Ernst Stavro Blofeld, which would explain why he is bald, chubby Telly Savalas in one film and tall, slender, exquisitely-coiffed Max von Sydow in another)
Don't forget Donald Pleasance and Charles Gray...
ImageImageImage

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

MajGenl.Meade wrote: Nothing goes over my head! My reflexes are too fast, I would catch it.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

ImageImageImage