Name That Movie!

Got jokes? Funny images? Your tales of disaster? Youtube links?
Post them and share them.
Let the world laugh with you, (more fun if it's at you!)
Long Run

Re: Name That Movie!

Post by Long Run »

Big RR wrote:that's one I had to google; I presume you mean Quigley Down Under
Yes, the Tom Selleck eastern western.

dales

Post by dales »

Here's another quote:
You'd think we're chasing a ghost... an invisible horse and an invisible cowboy. Harry, throw me that canteen. I haven't got enough spit left to wet a stick of gum.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

I know this one; I actually read the original novel (with a slightly different title) on which it's based...as did Kirk Douglas, who liked it so much he convinced Universal Pictures to produce it with him in the starring role. There were also several other well-known actors in the cast.

I won't have any time tonight or tomorrow to deal with putting up another movie, so I'll leave it for now and if no one takes it by tomorrow night or Sunday morning I'll take it then.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

As promised, I'll take it now...but first, here's another good quote:
  • Well, about every six months, I figure I owe myself a good drunk. It rinses your insides out, sweetens your breath and tones up your skin.

And then there's this one, which really kinda epitomizes the whole movie:
  • Desk sergeant: You mean to say you got no identification at all?
      • That's right.

Desk sergeant: No draft card, no social security, no discharge? No insurance, no driver's license, no nothing?

• No nothing.

Desk sergeant: Look, cowboy, you can't go around with no identication. It's against the law. How are people going to know who you are?

• I don't need a card to figure out who I am. I already know.

Lonely are the Brave, based on the book The Brave Cowboy by Edward Abbey. Other actors in the film besides Kirk Douglas included Gena Rowlands, Walter Matthau, Carroll O'Connor, George Kennedy, and the same one-armed man (Bill Raisch) who played The One-Armed Man on TV in The Fugitive.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

dales

Post by dales »

Yes, I think we have a winner!

Take it away, Econo!

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Okay....

Here's a movie from the same period, maybe even the same year...?
  • Listen, no matter what she says to you, don't answer her back. There's a Confederate pistol in her lap under her shawl and she'll kill you quick as look at you. Come on.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Sorry to snatch this one up so quick, but I watch this movie routinely when suffering insomnia and I know the whole dialogue pretty much verbatim.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I just found this old time movie poster for TKAM; I’m amused by the ‘not suitable for children’ label on it - I suppose that means young children, since for a couple generations now this book and movie have been standard in middle schools and high schools around the country.

Last edited by BoSoxGal on Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

sorry, but it looks like BSG has it (at least that would have been my guess too).

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Sorry for taking so long to respond. Yep, that's it, BSG.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Everyone runs in her own way, or his own way. And where does the power come from, to see the race to its end? From within.
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

PLEASE... Name That Movie!

Post by RayThom »

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Ben Hur? Or maybe Towering Inferno?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

No, no and no.
I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel his pleasure.
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

PLEASE, Please... Name That Movie!

Post by RayThom »

Ah, I think I got it.

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

ImageImageImage

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Chariots of Fire.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

That’s it! One of the best sports films ever made, with a magnificent soundtrack to boot.

The other day I was bingeing the new Julia Roberts vehicle on Amazon (“Homecoming”, a great show worth checking out) and there was a hint of a familiar haunting tune in the background of one scene - not listed in the credits, so I had to dig deep in my youthful memory for the Vangelis soundtrack from Chariots of Fire. (The bit they used was Harold’s theme.)

That led to me renting it and watching it a few times and being reminded of what a truly wonderful film it is. The lines I quoted were spoken by Eric Liddell, played in the movie by Ian Charleson, a brilliant Scottish actor taken from us far too soon by AIDS.

Here is one of the greatest scenes in film, in my opinion:

~ Carl Sagan

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Okay, the next one up is not one of the great sports films all time. I always liked it but the critics not so much and you probably saw this on a television rerun if you saw it (since it was a box office flop).

L: Will you delinquents shut up? Someday you'll have to straighten out and earn a decent living. Pay attention and grow up sometime. Turn into a respectable person.

LTM: He's a well-respected surfer.

L: That's not a sport, it's a disease.

RayThom

PLEASE... Name That Movie!

Post by RayThom »