You did ask!

Got jokes? Funny images? Your tales of disaster? Youtube links?
Post them and share them.
Let the world laugh with you, (more fun if it's at you!)
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: You did ask!

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Gob wrote:Booooo!!!!!!

The UK's new polar research ship is to be named RRS Sir David Attenborough, after Boaty McBoatface previously topped a public vote.

The £200m vessel will be named after the world-renowned naturalist and broadcaster, Science Minister Jo Johnson confirmed.

The move, coming days before Sir David turns 90, would recognise his "legacy in British broadcasting", he said.

Sir David said he was "truly honoured" by the decision.

He added that he hoped "everyone who suggested a name will feel just as inspired to follow the ship's progress as it explores our polar regions".

"I have been privileged to explore the world's deepest oceans alongside amazing teams of researchers, and with this new polar research ship they will be able to go further and discover more than ever before."

A website inviting suggestions to name the ship had attracted huge interest, with "Boaty McBoatface" being the big favourite.
It could have been worse.  They might have named it "Titanic".
Talk about your bad karma!

Just as an aside, and apropos of nothing, since that nasty bit of business in 1912 has there ever been another major vessel named "Titanic"?  Or would that be tempting Neptune or Davy Jones just a little too much?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Looks like Boaty McBoatface to me.
GAH!

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Boaty McBoatface should be Attenborough's new nickname. That would be almost fair to the voters.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I read a little while back that the guy who first came up with Boaty McBoatface also said he thought it ought to be named after Attenborough...
ImageImageImage

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

On second thought, a good compromise would be Boaty McAttenboroughface.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Gob wrote:Booooo!!!!!!

The UK's new polar research ship is to be named RRS Sir David Attenborough, after Boaty McBoatface previously topped a public vote.

The £200m vessel will be named after the world-renowned naturalist and broadcaster, Science Minister Jo Johnson confirmed.

The move, coming days before Sir David turns 90, would recognise his "legacy in British broadcasting", he said.

Sir David said he was "truly honoured" by the decision.

He added that he hoped "everyone who suggested a name will feel just as inspired to follow the ship's progress as it explores our polar regions".

"I have been privileged to explore the world's deepest oceans alongside amazing teams of researchers, and with this new polar research ship they will be able to go further and discover more than ever before."

A website inviting suggestions to name the ship had attracted huge interest, with "Boaty McBoatface" being the big favourite.
It could have been worse.  They might have named it "Titanic".
Talk about your bad karma!

Just as an aside, and apropos of nothing, since that nasty bit of business in 1912 has there ever been another major vessel named "Titanic"?  Or would that be tempting Neptune or Davy Jones just a little too much?
-"BB"-
Sailors are seriously superstitious and it is VERBOTEN to name a boat/ship after one that has sunk!

It's also bad luck to change the name of a boat or sail in before naming it. Not sure what that portends for the RRS Attenborough. (Great name choice, I'm pleased.)
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I thought the same thing, but then remembered that the US Navy reuses names all the time.  There have been two ships named the "Reuben James" commissioned since the sinking of the WWI-vintage destroyer in the opening days of WWII, and after the loss of the original aircraft carriers "Hornet", "Lexington", "Wasp", and "Yorktown" to Japanese action in the Pacific theater in 1942, the Navy quickly renamed and put into service newly constructed "Essex"-class aircraft carriers bearing these names to commemorate/honor the original ships.

So it must be considered OK to recycle a ship's name if she went down due to enemy action rather than the result of accident, crew's error or ineptitude, or other misfortune — like running into an iceberg.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

Correct- the Navy has long commemorated ships lost in action. The USS Meredith was an example- there have been 4. The first, commissioned in 1919, saw unremarkable service for only 2 1/2 years before being decommissioned due to defective boiler design. The second and third were BOTH sunk in WWII- DD-434 in 1942 and DD-726 in 1944. The 4th had a long career, 1945-1979 in US service and 1979-1995 in Turkish service.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Over a year after the Name Your Ferry competition was launched, Transport NSW has announced the name of the final ferry in its new fleet: Ferry McFerryFace.

Sydneysiders were encouraged to vote on names for the new ferries through the Name Your Ferry website and using the #yourferry hashtag.

Ferry McFerryFace was actually the second most popular choice, however, with the most votes going to Boaty McBoatFace, the name of a British research vessel.

"Given Boaty was already taken by another vessel, we've gone with the next most popular name nominated by Sydneysiders," said Minister for Transport and Infrastructure Andrew Constance, the ABC reported.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

RayThom

You did ask!

Post by RayThom »

Whatever floats your boat.

Let's hope this ends all the "Mc...Face" silliness.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Gob

Post by Gob »

Trumpy Mc Trumpface.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Post by Gob »

Doncaster has spoken.

Two road gritters have been named Gritsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Anti-Slip Machiney and David Plowie after a local poll sparked a flurry of pun-filled suggestions.

Doncaster Council asked residents to name the vehicles earlier this month, with the condition that they be clean and original.

'We'd prefer not to spend the next few days trawling through responses of Gritty McGritface and Gary Gritter,' the council wrote on Twitter.

And residents of the South Yorkshire town did not disappoint, with suggestions including Spready Mercury, Basil Salty, Grit Van Dyke, True Grit, Rule Grittania, Salt Disney and Gritney Houston.

Even singer Curtis Stigers chipped in with Grit Balls o'Fire.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z4ypJQ3D3U

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Trumpy McFuckhead.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Gob wrote:
Doncaster has spoken.

Two road gritters have been named Gritsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Anti-Slip Machiney and David Plowie after a local poll sparked a flurry of pun-filled suggestions.

Doncaster Council asked residents to name the vehicles earlier this month, with the condition that they be clean and original.

'We'd prefer not to spend the next few days trawling through responses of Gritty McGritface and Gary Gritter,' the council wrote on Twitter.

And residents of the South Yorkshire town did not disappoint, with suggestions including Spready Mercury, Basil Salty, Grit Van Dyke, True Grit, Rule Grittania, Salt Disney and Gritney Houston.

Even singer Curtis Stigers chipped in with Grit Balls o'Fire.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z4ypJQ3D3U
Brilliant!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

You will be pleased to hear that Boaty McBoatface has, in its first deployment, made some amazing discoveries which contribute to the science of climate change.

Essentially, overturning instabilities develop in areas where fq<0 (18, 19). This criterion may be equivalently expressed as ϕRiB<ϕc (20, 21), where the balanced Richardson number angle ϕRiB=tan−1(−N−2|∂v/∂z|2) and the critical angle ϕc=tan−1(−1−f−1∇×u⋅kˆ)≈tan−1(−1−f−1(∂v/∂x)). The same approximations as in the calculation of q were adopted here, with a further two assumptions. First, the flow is assumed to be significantly influenced by geostrophic dynamics. This is supported by the broad agreement between the measured vertical shear in the along-slope flow and the geostrophic shear on horizontal scales of O(1 km) (SI Appendix, Fig. S1 B and C). Second, the instabilities’ basic properties are assumed to be unaffected by 3D effects (36) or the presence of a solid boundary (37). The validity of this assumption is endorsed by the good agreement between our observation-based characterization of instabilities and the results of a high-resolution model capturing the full dynamics, discussed below. When the instability criterion is met, the nature of the instability may be determined from the value of ϕRiB (20, 21) (Fig. 2E and SI Appendix, Fig. S3). Gravitational instability is associated with −180°<ϕRiB<−135° and N2 < 0. Gravitational–symmetric instability corresponds to −135°<ϕRiB<−90° and N2 < 0. Symmetric instability is indicated by −90°<ϕRiB<−45°, with N2 > 0 and f−1∇×u⋅kˆ ≤ 0; or by −90°<ϕRiB<ϕc, with N2 > 0 and f−1∇×u⋅kˆ > 0. Symmetric–centrifugal instability is implied by −45°<ϕRiB<ϕc, with N2 > 0 and f−1∇×u⋅kˆ < 0.

I couldn't have said it better myself. If you need further explanation, Rube will be happy to oblige.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Deep cold ocean waters mix with warmer shallow surface ocean waters.

Which means the cold oceans won’t save the planet from getting warmer and we are doomed.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Well, the mixing may delay the inevitable for a while given the large heat sink the oceans are, but the dynamic mixing will help to achieve uniform (or less stratified) temperatures eventually.

RayThom

You did ask!

Post by RayThom »

I knew that.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.”