Can't Handel it!

Got jokes? Funny images? Your tales of disaster? Youtube links?
Post them and share them.
Let the world laugh with you, (more fun if it's at you!)
Gob

Can't Handel it!

Post by Gob »

Flash-mob singers spark California mall evacuation

The singers were performing Handel's Hallelujah Chorus

A spontaneous musical concert at a California shopping mall ended with the entire complex being evacuated after some 5,000 people turned up to sing.

The incident happened at the Roseville Galleria shopping mall, which is reported to have started shaking due to the volume of people inside.

Fire and safety officials struggled not to spoil the festive mood as they evacuated the mall.

One warden said: "You can keep singing, but please walk".

Thousands had gathered at the shopping mall's food court to take part in a group rendition of Handel's Hallelujah Chorus as part of a flash-mob concert - when groups of people - often strangers - conspire on social networking websites to turn up at the same place at the same time and start singing.

But, as they burst into song, there were reports that the building's floor began to move and creak, and witnesses reported hearing popping sounds.

Emergency services were forced to evacuate the entire building.

"We want you guys to have a good Christmas but we have a serious safety issue right now," one official said, according to a video of the event posted on the website of the Sacramento Bee.

No-one was hurt and the structure was declared safe.

The assembled singers, whose efforts had been organised by the Sacramento Choral Society and Orchestra, continued their impromptu concert outside.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12056504
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

oldr_n_wsr

Re: Can't Handel it!

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

I was at a Bruce Springsteen concert (years ago in NY City, I think it was the Palladium) and we were seated under a balcony. I remember looking up during one song and the whole balcony was moving up and down when Springsteen played Roselita. I was waiting for the whole thing to come down on top of us.

And weren't the engineers concerned when they opened the Golden Gate Bridge to thousands of pedestrians (no cars) as the walking "cadence" of people is not what the bridge was designed for?

Gob

Post by Gob »

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

A mandatory video clip for every incoming engineering student. at least it used to be

loCAtek

Post by loCAtek »

Gallopin Gerte collapsed due to wind, not weight.

tyro

Post by tyro »

...or due to the powerful harmonics the wind created. It was like pushing a child on a swing, the pushes came at the right time to magnify the effect.

When you watch the footage in it’s final moments, it is obvious that it was well built to last through those contortions.
A sufficiently copious dose of bombast drenched in verbose writing is lethal to the truth.

loCAtek

Post by loCAtek »

Okay, but that's still not due to weight on it.