We all love puns

Got jokes? Funny images? Your tales of disaster? Youtube links?
Post them and share them.
Let the world laugh with you, (more fun if it's at you!)
MajGenl.Meade

Re: We all love puns

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I am uncertain
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:21 am
I am uncertain
You're thinking of Heisenberg, Meade. He and Schrödinger had quite different ideas. I'll try to explain this in simple terms.

Let |ΨS(t0)> be a state vector in the Schrödinger picture, i.e. let it evolve in time and let its evolution be described by the Schrödinger equation. Then:

|ΨS(t)> = U(t,t0)|ΨS(t0)> = U†(t0,t)ΨS(t0)> .

The Schrödinger picture implies an active unitary transformation. The state vector is transformed, but all operators are constant in time unless they contain time explicitly. The basis vectors are not changing. The operators are defined through their action on the basis vectors.

The Heisenberg picture implies the equivalent passive unitary transformation. The state vector is constant,
|ΨH> = |ΨS(t0)> = U(t0,t)|ΨS(t)>, |ΨH> = U†(t,t0)|ΨS(t)>.

However the basis vectors are changing, and therefore the operators are changing. The operator AH(t) which does to the new basis vectors what AS(t) does to the old basis vectors is given by

AH = U(t0,t)AsU†(t0,t) = U†(t,t0)AsU(t,t0).

The Schrödinger picture and the Heisenberg picture are two different representations.

Obvious really.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Are you sure?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Gen'l, I LOVE IT.

snailgate

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

It is believed that the deep cooking pan long-associated with stir-frying was created in China, but historical research shows that it actually originated in ancient Egypt and made its way to China via travel and trade.

So it wasn't the Bangles but the Chinese who were among the first to wok like an Egyptian.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Or was it someone else?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

(Courtesy of my uncle)
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Why did the physics teacher break up with the biology teacher?

There was no chemistry.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Waiting for BSG to show up and nitpick that they walked into a pipe, not a bar, since it was round and not rectangular.

Or because anything that high up in the air could not properly be called a bar.
-"BB"-

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’d go with bar - or rod, or pole, or rail - but not pipe because that connotes a hollow cylinder capable of being a conduit for fluid or gas and this cartoon presents no evidence to support that conclusion, especially considering how the item at issue is affixed to the walls.

:nana
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:40 am
I’d go with bar - or rod, or pole, or rail - but not pipe because that connotes a hollow cylinder capable of being a conduit for fluid or gas and this cartoon presents no evidence to support that conclusion, especially considering how the item at issue is affixed to the walls.
All the evidence is not yet in.

While my learned adversary makes a valid and factual statement, Your Honor, I contend that, based on only this one image, neither can we determine that it is NOT a conduit for fluid or gas.   The preponderance of evidence just is not present, and therefore one cannot reject the possibility of it being a pipe.

I will also accept my esteemed opponent's definition of a pipe as "a hollow cylinder capable of being a conduit for fluid or gas"; yet nowhere is it claimed or stated that it MUST be used in such a fashion.   Such an object meeting counsel's criteria could instead be employed as, say, a curtain rod.   I wish to draw the attention of the court to the curtains or draperies found in almost every home in this country which are suspended from just such a cylinder — since it is not supporting a significant mass, said supporting rod has been left hollow to save both material and weight or, in some cases, to facilitate the movement of cords or cables to allow opening and closure of the window coverings.

Cylindrical, hollow, and capable of being a conduit for fluid or gas — in fact, is not a gas, in the form of breathable air, presently contained inside?   It certainly meets counsel's definition of a pipe.

:nana   to you, too!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-"BB"-

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

So a pastor, a priest and a rabbi walked into a pole.

The pole said, "Auć!".

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Nicely done! :ok :clap:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Cylindrical, hollow, and capable of being a conduit for fluid or gas
So they walked into a Trump? :shrug

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:03 am
Nicely done! :ok :clap:
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown