Late Breaking NewsFrom Saturday Night Live

Got jokes? Funny images? Your tales of disaster? Youtube links?
Post them and share them.
Let the world laugh with you, (more fun if it's at you!)
Burning Petard

Late Breaking NewsFrom Saturday Night Live

Post by Burning Petard »

Spain plans to settle for once and for all: Is Francisco Franco Still Dead?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/eu ... f62d610707

snailgate.

Long Run

Re: Late Breaking NewsFrom Saturday Night Live

Post by Long Run »

No-need-to-subscribe link: https://www.npr.org/2018/10/19/65809480 ... supporters
"Spain can't allow symbols that divide Spaniards. Something that is unimaginable in Germany or Italy, countries that also suffered fascist dictatorships, should not be imaginable in our country," Sánchez said in his first televised interview after taking office in June.

Big RR

Re: Late Breaking NewsFrom Saturday Night Live

Post by Big RR »

I recall going there about 10-12 years back; Franco is buried behind the altar with an honor guard near the tomb. When they weren't looking, I saw two different people quietly spit on his grave; it was interesting because I was pretty sure that both could have gotten in a lot of trouble if it was seen, but they thought it was worth the chance. They were older guys who probably lived through his brutality; it was pretty surprising when I talked to people in pubs (especially in the north) at how deeply that hatred runs. They had no problem about telling me what a bastard he (and his brownshirts) was/were, although they told me I should learn real Spanish (catalan) and not the castillian I know (I told them one language is plenty for me, and they all learned castillian in school (indeed, catalan was banned as a language by Franco)).

To me, the Valley was like a monument to fascism, and going there was like going to Hitler's grave (if there was one); if they take him out, I might visit again, as it is also the resting place of thousands killed in the spanish civil war, and a fitting tribute to them.