KOIT-Us-Interuptus

Got jokes? Funny images? Your tales of disaster? Youtube links?
Post them and share them.
Let the world laugh with you, (more fun if it's at you!)
Joe Guy

Re: KOIT-Us-Interuptus

Post by Joe Guy »

Personally, I'm offended by "White Christmas". "May all your Christmases be white"? Give me a break.

Then there's this:
‘Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer’ Is Under Attack, and People Are Not Happy About It

“Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” may be a favorite holiday film for many, but it’s recently come under attack on social media. In a viral video tweeted by the Huffington Post last Wednesday, critics are accusing the 1964 movie of being “seriously problematic” and encouraging bullying.

Titled “Rudolph the Marginalized Reindeer,” the video addresses how both Santa and Rudolph’s dad, Donner, shame the young buck for his red nose. “Former fans are pointing out Rudolph’s father verbally abuses him,” it says, referencing the fact that Rudolph was forced to flee his home until his nose became useful to the others.

The clip goes on to point out other troubling scenes, like when the school coach tells the other reindeer, “From now on, gang, we won’t let Rudolph join in any reindeer games, right?” or when Hermey the elf is belittled for wanting to be a dentist.

While some viewers agree with the video, which has been viewed over 5.8 million times so far, others are defending the Christmas classic, saying the main theme is actually about celebrating differences and learning to accept others.

“That’s ridiculous. In the end, they all realize they mistreated Rudolph, and apologize. That’s how life goes, as much as we may want to prevent pain for others we can’t always. It’s a lesson in recognizing when you’ve treated others unfairly, and correcting it. Leave Rudolph alone,” read one tweet.

Even the film’s actors are speaking up, including Corinne Conley, the voice of doll Sue in the original movie. She told TMZ, “I just can’t imagine it affecting anyone in a negative way,” pointing out that any bullying is resolved by the end of the movie and that it actually teaches kids a very valuable lesson. “I would say it is more relevant now than ever.”
source

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

BB--I don't think so; it was always voluntary--no pressure or threats (or alcohol or any other substances). Even today I would think that would be acceptable.

Joe--LOL. From my family lore, my grandfather died in 1942 (when the song first became a hit) on Dec 21 and his last words were "I hate that song" as it came on the radio (for likely the zillionth time) before he went up to the bathroom and collapsed. Maybe that's what he meant.

And as for Rudolph, we might as well get rid of Charlie Brown Christmas too, as the kids ridiculed him as a director and his Christmas Tree. And Christmas Carol for the ghost of Christmas present keeping those kids under his robe--what was he having them do?
Last edited by Big RR on Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I really haven't formed a strong opinion about this, (and I really don't consider it important enough to spend the time to do so :P ) but here's an opinion piece I read in the Comical written by a woman that raises some good points for the "just looking for stuff to be offended at" side:
Opinion // Open Forum

Is ‘Baby, It’s Cold Outside’ about rape or romance?

By Manoela Kruger

“Baby, It’s Cold Outside,” a classic popularly regarded as a Christmas song, is being interpreted as a “rape song” and has been banned from several radio stations throughout the country this year. KOIT Bay Area has joined the ban in response to a #MeToo request, but now, facing a controversy with listeners, it is holding an online poll to decide whether the song should keep playing. KOIT will announce the majority opinion on Monday.

I am a woman, and let me tell you how I personally interpret this song: I see it as an adorably romantic song, where two lovers are having a very hard time saying goodbye after a pleasant encounter because “this evening has been so very nice” and “the welcome has been so nice and warm” (her very own words). She does want to stay, and even asks for one more cigarette and drink to enjoy. She feels very conflicted because back in 1944 women were not supposed to spend a night with their significant others if they weren’t married. She is mostly worried about what her mother, her father, the neighbors, her sister, her brother or her “maiden aunt’s (vicious) mind” will think about her.

The good news is, boys and girls, women in 2018 are much more empowered and respected, and they can decide whether they want to spend a night with a partner without having to worry about being judged or punished by family! Isn’t that a wonderful thing?

I understand rape and violence against women (or against any human being for that matter) are very serious things and must not be taken lightly. I see an immense value in the #MeToo movement, but when we start raising flags about everything that may potentially be an offense, we simply have abandoned critical thinking. Then we have another issue to deal with: over-victimization. It just backfires.

What saddens me the most is that this seems to be happening all over the world and in several realms: political, sexual, racial. We seem to be always anxiously waiting for an opportunity to feel offended, looking for an excuse to promote hate and violence — and such a destructive emotion ripples through a community fast.

Mother Teresa reportedly said, “I don’t participate in antiwar demonstrations, but as soon as you have a pro-peace rally, I’ll be there.” See the subtle difference? She was pro-peace, not antiwar.

We could all use this time of the year to genuinely focus on gratitude, love and cheer rather than create controversy over a Christmas song. Let’s be good, for goodness’ sake!

Manoela Kruger is a creative writer who happens to hold a bachelor’s degree in engineering. She can’t explain how she is able to enjoy working with both numbers and letters.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/ope ... 448617.php

And as far as KOIT is concerned, it's About-Face time:
Listeners Vote to Reinstate Christmas Classic 'Baby, It's Cold Outside' on KOIT Radio's Holiday Playlist

Published Dec 10, 2018 at 7:01 PM

The Christmas classic "Baby, It's Cold Outside" that some people have complained sends the wrong message to women was temporarily pulled from San Francisco Bay Area radio station KOIT and reinstated Monday.

KOIT said it is a "feel good" station, especially over the holidays, and were trying to respond to the temperature in the room. But when the station received more backlash for not playing "Baby, It's Cold Outside" it made a correction.

"We didn't really ban it, but we pulled it off the playlist," KOIT Host Teri King said. "And then, as soon as the (newspapers) went with it, they went crazy. Everybody was up in arms because we're not playing 'Baby, It's Cold Outside.'"

So the station's program director put up a poll last Monday on the station's website asking listeners to vote "Yes" or "No" on if the song should be played on KOIT.

The poll garnered a response from 22,000 people, with almost 80 percent in favor of bringing the song back.
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/L ... 12501.html
ImageImageImage

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Good post Jim, that raises far more important issues than this pretty silly song.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Mother Teresa's reportedly stated quotation has inspired me. It makes me want to go out and organize a pro-anti-whining victim rally.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Was this whole tempest just another "Oh! There's a Squirrel!"?

snailgate

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

BP
Was this whole tempest just another "Oh! There's a Squirrel!"?
I don't know, doesn't that usually connote distraction from something more important or worthy of consideration? Not much of that here.

Joe
It makes me want to go out and organize a pro-anti-whining victim rally.
I'm more led to organizing a pro president with an IQ above 50 or a pro president who is not an asshole rally.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I'm more led to organizing a pro president with an IQ above 50 or a pro president who is not an asshole rally.
....or 'Pro Anti-Trump Rally' for short.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Maybe, but mother Teresa wouldn't like that, although I'd bet she would agree.

RayThom

KOIT-Us-Interuptus

Post by RayThom »

But most of all, are we still allowed to say "Merry Christmas" to strangers rather than "Happy Holidays?"

I am so confused.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

RayThom wrote:But most of all, are we still allowed to say "Merry Christmas" to strangers rather than "Happy Holidays?"

I am so confused.
You're not the only one...
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

RE: Econoline's post -- :ok
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Offensive and inappropriate are two different things.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

In some cases that's probably true (for example, disclosing someone's name and address in a forum like this might not be offensive, but would be inappropriate), but in this case why would it be inappropriate if it were not offensive?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Is a Clockwork Orange offensive? Would it be acceptable to show a bunch of toddlers? It’s the same thing here “Christmas Music” (the bane on humanity it is) is generally billed as being appropriate for all ages. The song in question no longer does.

Much like one of the variants of “Enie meanie”

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Much like one of the variants of “Enie meanie”
Are you saying that version wouldn't be offensive? :lol:

Anyway, we've gone pretty far afield, but this song has gotten more space here than it deserves. :)

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Big RR wrote: Are you saying that version wouldn't be offensive? :lol:
At the time it was written? Not particularly.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Couldn't let this thread die without posting this …

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Bicycle Bill wrote:Couldn't let this thread die without posting this …
That sounds almost exactly like what Joe Guy posted in this thread a few days ago.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.”