When life gives you lemons..

Got jokes? Funny images? Your tales of disaster? Youtube links?
Post them and share them.
Let the world laugh with you, (more fun if it's at you!)
Gob

When life gives you lemons..

Post by Gob »

or a pandemic..

Make pasties!! (How I pass the time these days...)

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: When life gives you lemons..

Post by Bicycle Bill »

There's lemons in pasties?  Who knew?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

Done!

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Do you roll out your own dough or is it store bought?

Gob

Post by Gob »

Make my own.

I follow Anne's Pasties (The Lizard) recipe.

But I "improvise" the filling with whatever I have to hand.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Start him . . .

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

I know I have water, and can probably buy lard if Crisco won't work, and I have butter to sub for margarine, but what is STRONG flour?
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

What Is Strong Flour, and When Should You Use It?
I did not know this, but kindly ol' Mr. Google did. From the above article, it seems like you could probably substitute all-purpose flour if you can't find bread flour.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I "improvise" the filling with whatever I have to hand.
Gee whiz, from your reactions previously about this (when I and others have shared our "improvised" pastie fillings) I got the impression that pasties were some sort of sacrament; with one (ultra-bland) way and only one way to properly fill them...

Have your views on this changed, or do the native Welsh have some sort of special dispensation to deviate from the sacred recipe, not allowed for others? 8-)
ImageImageImage

Gob

Post by Gob »

Lord Jim wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:38 am

Gee whiz, from your reactions previously about this (when I and others have shared our "improvised" pastie fillings) I got the impression that pasties were some sort of sacrament; with one (ultra-bland) way and only one way to properly fill them...

Have your views on this changed, or do the native Welsh have some sort of special dispensation to deviate from the sacred recipe, not allowed for others? 8-)
Oh, I don't make the EU mandated pasties Jim my friend, which is probably what I was ranting about..
On 20 July 2011, after a nine-year campaign by the Cornish Pasty Association – the trade organisation of about 50 pasty makers based in Cornwall – the name "Cornish pasty" was awarded Protected Geographical Indication (PGI) status by the European Commission. According to the PGI status, a Cornish pasty should be shaped like a 'D' and crimped on one side, not on the top. Its ingredients should include beef, swede (called turnip in Cornwall), potato and onion, with a light seasoning of salt and pepper, keeping a chunky texture. The pastry should be golden and retain its shape when cooked and cooled.[18] The PGI status also means that Cornish pasties must be prepared in Cornwall. They do not have to be baked in Cornwall, nor do the ingredients have to come from the county, though the Cornish Pasty Association (CPA) noted that there are strong links between pasty production and local suppliers of the ingredients. Packaging for pasties that conform to the requirements includes an authentication stamp, the use of which is policed by the CPA.

The recipe for a Cornish pasty, as defined by its protected status, includes diced or minced beef, onion, potato and swede in rough chunks along with some "light peppery" seasoning. The cut of beef used is generally skirt steak. Swede is sometimes called turnip in Cornwall, but the recipe requires use of actual swede, not turnip.[30] Pasty ingredients are usually seasoned with salt and pepper, depending on individual taste.[39] The use of carrot in a traditional Cornish pasty is frowned upon, though it does appear regularly in recipes.

The type of pastry used is not defined, as long as it is golden in colour and will not crack during the cooking or cooling, although modern pasties almost always use a shortcrust pastry.

I make traditional pasties.
Originally a good, calorie-filled, transportable meal for hungry workers – possibly even the first real ‘convenience’ food – it would have contained cheap ingredients such as potato, swede and onion without the succulent meat that is included today. That came later as people became bigger meat eaters and pasties became more widely eaten.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

The story about Cornish pasties I remember and which was told to me by a member of the Cornish Liberation Front (it was the 70s - what can I say?) was that the traditional pasty was a double act. There is a reason the crimping of the pastry is along the curved side of the D and not along the top, as Gob's post indicates. The traditional pasty was baked for the miners and farmworkers as a packed lunch and had a meat end and a sweet end, separated by a bulwark of pastry. So it was a full meal including dessert.

The last thing a hungry miner wants at midday is to bite into the fruity end (strawberry jam? - whatever was available) when he's expecting meaty chunks. And if the crimping is done along the spine of the pasty the two ends are identical. But if it is done along the curve of the D the two ends are not topologically identical. The base of the pasty is obvious - it's the flat bit. If you place your D shaped pasty on the table with the curved side towards you, the left side is always the left side. You can't get it wrong. If the wife always puts the meat in the left end and the fruit in the right end, hungry hubby knows what to expect. I may have the ends the wrong way around but it was a long time ago - Jules was almost certainly drunk (SOP for him) and I won't guarantee that I wasn't. (BTW we were probably in The Rhyddings - a pub that I am sure Gob knows.)

Mathematically, it's a concept in topology called chirality. A D shape, crimped along the curved side, with L meat and R jam is a chiral relative AKA enantiomorph AKA mirror image of one with R meat and L jam. A D shaped pasty with jam at one end at meat at the other has chirality while a similar pasty but crimped along the top can simply be rotated to the other way around and does not have chirality.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Then my minced lamb, green onion, potato, garlic, and diced jalapeno recipe is perfectly fine as a pastie filling... :ok
ImageImageImage

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Yes, they seem to be sacramental in many cultures and locations. This current anti-social norm has me watching tv channels I have never looked at before. Several days ago I picked up something that was a sort of cooking-travel show that concentrated on what the host called 'hand pies'.
She found something put on a slab of dough, then folded over and the edges pinched together, in many different places. These she called generally 'hand pies' The requirements were that they be of a size handy to hold in one hand and baked or fried. That excludes ravioli.

Lots of different fillings, but always strong local pride that 'their' filling was the only right way to do it. Most of these were first intended as food carried by common laborers as their mid-work shift meal.

snailgate

Gob

Post by Gob »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:40 pm
The story about Cornish pasties I remember and which was told to me by a member of the Cornish Liberation Front (it was the 70s - what can I say?) was that the traditional pasty was a double act. There is a reason the crimping of the pastry is along the curved side of the D and not along the top, as Gob's post indicates. The traditional pasty was baked for the miners and farmworkers as a packed lunch and had a meat end and a sweet end, separated by a bulwark of pastry. So it was a full meal including dessert.

All the evidence shows that this "mains and desert" pasty is a mythical thing. Most Cornish miners would have been to poor to afford luxuries like jam and cream.

There is some evidence to show that the heavy crimp was used and then discarded, as miners hands were often coated with arsenic.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Lord Jim wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:49 pm
Then my minced lamb, green onion, potato, garlic, and diced jalapeno recipe is perfectly fine as a pastie filling... :ok

Well..."de gustibus" is now my motto, so have at it!

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

They remind me of "fried pies" which hit town a couple of years ago. They are not baked, but deep fried. I think they use peanut oil. https://friedpieswichita.com/ Check out the menu of sweet and savory pies. I'm sure my Mama never made anything like them.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

ImageImageImage

Gob

Post by Gob »

A father baked a huge Cornish pasty to celebrate the birth of his son - matching the exact same size and weight of the baby.

Tim Fuge, 33, from Liskeard, Cornwall, took on the task after seeing a post online of another father using a pasty to demonstrate the measurements of his child.

It took Mr Fuge two-and-a-half hours to produce the 6lb 4oz (2.8kg) pasty - and 19 hours to eat it after he researched the method online and did a practice run.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

"Meanwhile, police continue to search for little Jowan's twin brother"
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts