University challenged

Got jokes? Funny images? Your tales of disaster? Youtube links?
Post them and share them.
Let the world laugh with you, (more fun if it's at you!)
Gob

University challenged

Post by Gob »

This is the bizarre moment a contestant on the 'Icelandic University Challenge' had a temper tantrum and stormed off set after the opposing team correctly answered the winning question.

The disgruntled student, Jón Jörund Guðmundsson, had been taking part in the TV show Gettu Betur - which translates to Make a Better Guess.

But, when his rivals were crowned winners, the young man was quick to show his fierce disapproval.

He smashed a glass to the floor before jumping to his feet, tipping his podium and throwing water in the direction of his own teammates.

The sore loser then stormed through the studio and could be heard causing more chaos off camera - as the others watched in astonishment.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... s-set.html
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Long Run

Re: University challenged

Post by Long Run »

Wasn't Meade just saying there are people who shouldn't be in college? :?

Are we supposed to guess which poster here would be most likely to act the same as young Guðmundsson? Because I'm not going there!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Some of the most highly educated people I have ever known are absolute jerks, completely full of themselves with no consideration for anyone else; this guy appears to be aspiring to be one of those. He should direct his course toward professions which often seem to reward arrogance--medicine, of course, but also law and even teaching (especially at the university level). Artistic endeavors and sports also seem to celebrate arrogance, but then some modicum of talent in those areas is required. He can remain a jerk his entire life if he chooses wisely, or he can get the hell kicked out of him if he doesn't.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Long Run wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:53 pm

Are we supposed to guess which poster here would be most likely to act the same as young Guðmundsson? Because I'm not going there!
I think BigRR is giving clues...

Big RR wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:02 pm
toward professions which often seem to reward arrogance... also law and even teaching (especially at the university level).
But then we'd have to believe that person was capable of holding down a University job. ;-)
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Now, now, never my intention. As I know very few people here IRL (and none all that well), I have nothing to say about any of them in my post.

And FWIW, there are many ways people can be jerks--all arrogant people are jerks, but not all jerks are arrogant. The guy in the video seems to be a jerk of the arrogant type.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

And BTW the UK (and original) University Challenge is on YouTube every Monday night posted by some kind soul. Jeopardy it isn't. If I get to the end of the night and I've got five or ten answers I'm feeling pretty good. (I don't count 60s / 70s music in that total. Those are gimmes these guys don't get.) Here's last week's episode. They are nearing the semifinal stage and the questions get harder.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

One of our local legends is when Portland State College (now PSU) won the popular televised College Bowl. It was just a few years removed from being a 2-year extension school to help WWII and Korean vets transition. Then, it put together a top team with a great coach and crushed the competition, many from elite schools. Pretty fun read:

https://www.oregonlive.com/history/2015 ... d_sta.html

Gob

Post by Gob »

I wonder if he was doing Viking Studies?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

More likely modern dance with a minor in podium kicking.