You cannot get there from here.

Got jokes? Funny images? Your tales of disaster? Youtube links?
Post them and share them.
Let the world laugh with you, (more fun if it's at you!)
Gob

You cannot get there from here.

Post by Gob »

Well you can, but...

I live a short walk from a very nice beach, accessible only by foot. I just wrote this up for the local Facebook page.

A conversation I have had three times in the last fortnight.

Walk out of my house to find a car containing 5 people attempting a 63 point turn in our courtyard.

Him: "There's no parking here is there?"
Me: "Sorry mate, no, residents only"
Him: "Where can I park?"
Me: "If you drive down the lane, (sotto voce "just past the sign which reads "PRIVATE LANE, NO UNAUTHORISED ACCESS") there's a layby on the main road."
Him: "That's a fair way. Can I not drive through here?"
Me: "It's a dead end mate, where you heading"
Him: "Nanjizal"
Me: "There's no way to drive to Nanjizal, you have to walk there."
Him: "Walk!" (Said in a tone which indicates I may as well have said "grow wings and fly there.")
Me: "Yep, it's about a mile, mile and a half at most"
Him: "You're kidding"? (looking at me as if he expects me to say; "OK, I'm kidding, it's just past that the hedge, about 20 yards away, right there.")
Me: "It's a lovely easy flat walk, apart from the steep hill at the end. How did you find out about it?"
Him: (Shows me an article on his phone "10 best secret beaches in England")
Me: (Reading aloud,) "Nice beach/30 minutes walk from Trevescan/no vehicles/steep hill. Yes, that's Nanjizal."
Him: "So I can't drive there?"
Me: "Nope, sorry"
Him: Drives off never to be seen again.

I suppose if I wanted to be cruel I could have told him that there's no ice-cream van, pub, amusement arcade, café, donkey rides, and half the year there's no bloody sand either.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Long Run

Re: You cannot get there from here.

Post by Long Run »

Seems to be a tourist requirement to drop off their common sense before getting in the car.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Agreed.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Are you sure you can't drive there?

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I am quite sure you can drive there. It would be a bit bumpy though I expect. I vote you stop giving practical advice and let the games begin. Then photograph the interesting results and report back here.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I'd be a bit wary about that; they'll know where he lives and can come back to repay the "kindness".

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I doubt they would be in any sort of condition to make a comeback payback. Unless it was in zombie form.

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

Everybody - and I mean everybody, thinks that these kinds of signs or warnings don't apply to them. I can be at a traffic control due to an accident or a fire, cones, flares, fire trucks, road closed signs - all clearly visible. I am standing there in bright yellow directing people to turn. Every time, I get someone who stops, calls me over, and says, "Can I go that way?" "No sir, you cannot." "But, I need to go that way" "Do you live in this block?" "No, I just don't want to go around".