Americans and geography!

Got jokes? Funny images? Your tales of disaster? Youtube links?
Post them and share them.
Let the world laugh with you, (more fun if it's at you!)
Gob

Americans and geography!

Post by Gob »

Barack Obama has been trolled for claiming he was on the 'Emerald Isles' during his COP26 speech in Scotland.

The former US President became the latest American to get confused about his whereabouts during the Climate Change conference.

His gaffe came a week after CNN journalist Wolf Blitzer wrongly announced that he was reporting from where 20,000 delegates had gathered… in Edinburgh.

Posting a picture of himself with Edinburgh Castle in the background, Blitzer tweeted: ‘I’m now reporting from Edinburgh in Scotland where 20,000 world leaders and delegates have gathered for the COP26 Climate Summit. COP, by the way, stands for “Conference of the Parties.” It’s the 26th time they have gathered to discuss and take action on this critical issue.’

Obama, who seems to have confused Scotland with Ireland, was addressing the United Nations summit in Glasgow to talk about his concerns on rising global temperatures.

He also used his speech to reference English playwright William Shakespeare which was also to the shock of many Scots who tuned in. They regard Robert Burns as their Bard.

During his near 45-minute speech, the 60-year-old quoted from Othello. Obama said: ‘Since we're here in the Emerald Isles, let me quote the bard. What wound did ever heal but by degrees?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

ex-khobar Andy

Re: Americans and geography!

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Barack O'Bama is proud of his Irish heritage. Nothing wrong with that.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Disappointing coming from a guy who is a very good writer and generally seems thoughtful.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

And sad too, it was likely written by some speech writer, but Obama didn't even suspect the error. The Othello was pretty good to make the point he was trying to make, but it it undercut by the error.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

The Othello quote was okay, but honestly, when one of the most famous Robert Burns lines is ‘now’s the day, now’s the hour’? I mean, for fuck’s sake. A letdown for sure.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

That Burns quote would work quite well, but I liked the Othello reference to "by degrees".

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Scotland is one of the 57 states.

Gob

Post by Gob »

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

I'm no fan of his either, but it is absurd to state that he had anything to do with the energy boom in the U.S. when he actively pursued policies to reduce non-green energy production (he was simply overwhelmed by the economic forces).

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Gob wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:49 am
Not everyone is an Obama fan...
Just snagged her book from the library: Overheated - How Capitalism Broke the Planet and How We Fight Back
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké