Divided by a common language

Got jokes? Funny images? Your tales of disaster? Youtube links?
Post them and share them.
Let the world laugh with you, (more fun if it's at you!)
Gob

Divided by a common language

Post by Gob »

270134832_3074411379546150_3118758514302180953_n.jpg
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: Divided by a common language

Post by Bicycle Bill »

A gasper, right?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

If I'm not mistaken, from Shakespeare I think the same term (well really the entire six letter term) was used to refer to flaming sticks that could be used to light a fire.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Except that repeated experience has shown that, on Facebook and its other affiliated social media platforms at least, using that word in particular has been judged to not violate its "community standards", whereas pointing out that Facebook has made that judgment has landed people in Facebook jail.

But sure, ha ha, funny joke.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

whereas pointing out that Facebook has made that judgment has landed people in Facebook jail.
It's idiocy lkie this that has made me avoid facebook.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Thank you RR, for confirming my judgement. I will not touch Facebook. Irony abounds. For example, I have been invited to participate in an online movie discussion group:

""The Community of Christ Movie Club is an asynchronous, intergenerational online ministry for those who enjoy discovering God's revelation through movies. Encountering God through movies, or Cinema Divina, is a practice that invites participants to awaken to God's presence & movement within our favorite movies."

The discussion is conducted on Facebook. The first movie chosen is "The Social Dilemma" which is available on Netflix and for free on Youtube.
It is a documentary advocating that online social media, in particular, Facebook, are inherently destructive to society and individuals.

Irony abounds.

Snailgate

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I was challenged on Facebook to describe my job in some unusual manner. I said that I stabbed people for a living and was summarily unable to post because I ostensibly violated community standards. Humbug.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I had a friend who was suspended without any reason given (and I know this guy; there would be no reason to ban him), and then never reinstated. He contacted the FB powers that be several times to get reinstated, and finally just gave up. It seems like their standards are whatever the person making the decision decides what they are--no real community standards at all and no need to justify any action. It's just not worth the bother.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

That's the thing, though, in almost all cases those "decisions" are made by an algorithm without any human involvement.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

This just in from our old friend AndyH:
I just got a FB violation of community standards notice for
commenting on a recipe:
Looks good! My grandmother thought adding basil to her egg noodles was “exotic “.

What the actual fudge??
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God