Black/Face

Got jokes? Funny images? Your tales of disaster? Youtube links?
Post them and share them.
Let the world laugh with you, (more fun if it's at you!)
Gob

Black/Face

Post by Gob »

A pair of Arizona diversity, equity and inclusion 'experts' have been blasted for falsely accusing an African-American DJ of wearing blackface at an event.

Jill Lassen and Stuart Rhoden, who advocate for diversity at the Scottsdale Unified School District in various capacities, wrote scathing letters of complaint after DJ Kim Koko Hunter appeared at a PTA event, and they mistook him for a white man.

Stuart and Rhoden have since apologized, with some noting the irony of 'diversity and inclusion' activists rushing to such false conclusions.

But Rhoden also sought to double down on his initial allegation, and speculated as to whether Hunter may have used cosmetic products to make his skin appear darker.

'When you are so hell bent on pointing out everyone as a racist, only to uncover yourself as the racist,' one person tweeted.

Hunter, the Scottsdale school district and the Hopi PTA did not immediately respond to requests for comment from DailyMail.com.

The PTA at Hopi Elementary in Phoenix hired Hunter to entertain the crowd at its largest fundraiser of the year on April 9.

It was a success, and drew in over $300,000 for 'essential programs and services' that are not paid for by the Scottsdale Unified School District.

But Lassen and Rhoden decided to take umbrage with Hunter's skin-tone, after mistaking him for a white man in a racist outfit according to the Arizona Daily Independent.

The pair complained about the apparent racist incident to the school's principal and the head of the PTA, who quickly clarified that Hunter is actually a black man.

Kim Koko Hunter played at the Hopi Elementary PTA's 'Hopi Night Fever' fundraiser on April 9. The event brought in more than $300,000, according to Scottsdale schools activist Amanda Wray.

The DJ has 1,500 followers on Instagram, where he posted videos of himself in 1970s, Disco-inspired attire at the event, complete with roller skates and a shiny, gold shirt.

After the fundraiser, Stuart Rhoden reportedly emailed the principal complaining about Hunter.

Rhoden is an instructor at Arizona State University who also serves on the Scottsdale school district's Equity and Inclusion Committee.

He questioned the PTA's acceptance of blackface, wherein a person, usually white, paints their skin to portray a black person. The practice has roots in early 19th century American theater and is now widely considered racist.

In a Facebook post last week, he apologized to 'dude' for the mistake, only to then double-down and suggest that Hunter was wearing makeup to make himself look darker.

'Let me be clear, a Black man, apparently in Black face is an entirely different discussion than a White person. However I did not state that the person was White.

'It was assumed that was my intent, and perhaps it was, but nonetheless, looking on his FB page (photos below), it seems at the very least he is in darker make-up if not "Black face" or I am completely mistaken and it's the lighting of the patio,' Rhoden said.

'So here's what I want to say. I apologize to dude for the implication, but the sentiment still stands, Black face by anyone, in this day and age is problematic. I also apologize to folks who reposted and made other statements based on my assumption.'
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Burning Petard

Re: Black/Face

Post by Burning Petard »

" mistaking him for a white man in a racist outfit " I say again, 'race' the USofA is a concept without any objective meaning. Similar to the definition of 'Jew" in Germany in the 30's--you are a Jew if the Nazi authorities say you are.

snailgate

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Good grief. Black folks skin tans and ebbs and flows in tone just like white folks. Idiots.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I just don't understand it; makeup (at least when properly applied) generally helps to enhance your best features; so what it a back person wears black/dark makeup; only Michael Jackson got away with white makeup. :D