It's only bad when other people do it.

Got jokes? Funny images? Your tales of disaster? Youtube links?
Post them and share them.
Let the world laugh with you, (more fun if it's at you!)
Gob

It's only bad when other people do it.

Post by Gob »

The mayor of Bristol flew more than 4,600 miles for a TED talk on climate change.

Marvin Rees flew nine hours to Canada to give a 14-minute talk on how mayors play an important role in tackling climate change.

Mr Rees gave the talk in April and this week, it was made available for the public to watch online.

He spoke about how city mayors are "leading beyond their authority" and influencing global policy on cutting carbon emissions, and he called for more investment into cities.

In the TED talk, Mr Rees said: "If we can unlock the full potential of our cities, we can minimise the price the planet pays for hosting us in our growing numbers."

But questions have been raised about the decision to fly so far for a short talk on climate, given the huge carbon emissions associated with long-haul flights. The Green party has also criticised recent decisions by the mayor in Bristol, such as the removal of bike lanes.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

datsunaholic

Re: It's only bad when other people do it.

Post by datsunaholic »

Well, unless he flew a charter flight or a private plane the carbon emissions were going to happen whether he took the flight or not.

OTOH, there's really no reason to go in person for these sort of conferences. They can easily be done remotely.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

datsunaholic

Re: It's only bad when other people do it.

Post by datsunaholic »

Then again, I've seen a number of hypocritical mayors here too. 20 years ago or so we had a Mayor in Seattle who publicly stated that senior or retired couples should give up their single-family houses and move into smaller apartments so that young couples with growing families could have better housing options... while himself living with only his wife in a 5-bedroom house.

I think all politicians must secretly take the Hypocritic Oath ("Do as I say, Not as I do.") before taking office.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.