Dear Sire, Amerenglish is killing language

Got jokes? Funny images? Your tales of disaster? Youtube links?
Post them and share them.
Let the world laugh with you, (more fun if it's at you!)
MajGenl.Meade

Dear Sire, Amerenglish is killing language

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

"The moment we landed, we had to drop him off at THIS housing unit that they had had us staying in [sic]. He was going to get ready to go down for his nap. We immediately went to an official engagement in THIS township called Nyanga, and there was THIS moment where I'm standing on a tree stump and I'm giving THIS speech to women and girls, and we finish the engagement, we get in the car and they say there's been a fire at the residence."

THIS? How does one indicate a non-present housing unit, township, moment and speech?

The very moment we landed, right there on the tarmac, was a housing unit. And "they" had had us staying in". Little Arch immediately went somewhere (going) to prepare himself to go somewhere else (down) for his nap (not someone else's nap then). Lots of moments and immediately going on.

"And so much, I think, optically, the focus ends up being on how it looks instead of how it feels."

Yes, so much thinking indeed, optically speaking.

Yours sincerely,
Oldfart Whiner, Col. (ret.)
The Shambles
Oxon
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Re: Dear Sire, Amerenglish is killing language

Post by Big RR »

I'm not sure if that is any sort of English, American or British. Neither teaches the us of "this" as the writer used it, nor does either teach ending a sentence with a preposition in most cases (and the use here does not fall within one of the exceptions). But since it appears to be an informal communication, perhaps an online post of some sort, there are no real rules--even non-words like LMAO can be used.

MajGenl.Meade

Re: Dear Sir, Amerenglish is killing language

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

A spoken interview (and I thought the Retd. Colonel's use of 'sire' was appalling)
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

That’s a verbal tic, like when people say ‘like’ repetitively in their regular speaking pattern. It wasn’t taught but would require a concerted effort toward unlearning the habit.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

And BTW, the 'housing unit' Her Grace was staying in was not - as might be thought - some sort of two-up two-down place for the masses but the High Commissioner's place. HC is what we used to call ambassadors within the British Empire or (more recently) the Commonwealth. So this 'housing unit' was pretty much a mansion.

Mind you: compared to her current digs, maybe it was a tad on the plebeian side.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

My dear MajGenl:

I believe what you are seeing here is a 'truncation' of a phrase.  Try inserting the word 'specific' or 'particular' after the word 'this' in the example you provided.  Now ask your subordinate (the colonel) if that would make the sentence more grammatically correct in his eyes.

As for ending a sentence with a preposition, it happens.  And the whining of grammarians about such infractions is just pointless pedantry, and that is something, up with which I shall not put.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Is it really so difficult to use "a" or "an" or "the" rather than "this"? Is no one taught that "this" is indicative and requires the nearby and visible presence of "this"?

The abomination of "like" is destroying my meals out. For some reason, I can hear nothing of any nearby conversation except for that one word, over and over and over. I'm going to have a shirt made with a slogan - Stop Using 'Like, You Moron.

Another one - I'm awful when fellow Christians pray aloud. I keep track of the word "just" on one hand and "Lord" on the other. Usually the "justs" win. They keep telling the Lord that they just want him to do this and just that. I can't figure out if they are unable to quantify or think he can barely do some things.

Can't help it. It's like this habit.

And BB, I scoff at "particular" and "specific".

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Is it okay for me to use this thread to repeat that I am sick of hearing and reading the word "literally"? It's as bad as "basically" and anyone who uses those words should be punished in a way that causes them to experience pain.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I plead for mercy ! Can one person, by themself, 'huddle'?

In an email this morning I described a WWII photo of a soldier on the ground, no other person visible in the photo, under artillery fire. I described the person as 'huddled on the ground, making themself as small as possible." The visible area was flat with sparse vegetation no more than a foot high.

Oh boy! I just can't stay out of trouble. I find that 'themself' is controversial.

snailgate.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

snail brought it on themself. No, wait. That doesn't sound right. Probably if you'd thought, WW2 soldier = MAN, "himself" would have been comfortably correct.

Question: if a person is schizophrenic, should it be 'themselves'?

Yours sincerely,
Oldfart Whiner, Col. (ret.)
(He / marrow / coal)
The Shambles
Oxon

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Schizophrenia isn’t about multiple personalities. It’s about having visual and auditory hallucinations and often a psychotic break with reality.

You’re thinking of multiple personality disorder, or what is now called dissociative identity disorder - a diagnosis still of some controversy among mental health professionals.

Snail, only a group of people can be a huddle in the noun form, but one person can curl themselves into a small space and thusly activate the verb huddle all on their own.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:07 pm

The abomination of "like" is destroying my meals out. For some reason, I can hear nothing of any nearby conversation except for that one word, over and over and over. I'm going to have a shirt made with a slogan - Stop Using 'Like, You Moron.
So, you, like, hate like.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Burning Petard wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:26 pm
I plead for mercy ! Can one person, by themself, 'huddle'?

In an email this morning I described a WWII photo of a soldier on the ground, no other person visible in the photo, under artillery fire. I described the person as 'huddled on the ground, making themself as small as possible." The visible area was flat with sparse vegetation no more than a foot high.

Oh boy! I just can't stay out of trouble. I find that 'themself' is controversial.

snailgate.
Well, 'huddled' on the ground certainly sounds better than 'cowering' on the ground.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

one person can curl themselves into a small space and thusly activate the verb huddle all on their own.
I had never heard it used this way, so I checked; all the dictionaries I checked (even the sainted OED) provide that definition.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Big RR wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:09 am
one person can curl themselves into a small space and thusly activate the verb huddle all on their own.
I had never heard it used this way, so I checked; all the dictionaries I checked (even the sainted OED) provide that definition.
I am glad the sainted OED confirms my assertion.

Did I ever disclose that I was the kind of geeky child that would spend hours perusing Roget’s thesaurus for the pure pleasure of growing my vocabulary? My copy was all nibbled along the top edge by my pet cockatiel who loved to perch on my books when I was reading.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Long Run wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:55 pm
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:07 pm

So, you, like, hate like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j95kNwZw8YY
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:15 am
Big RR wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:09 am
I am glad the sainted OED confirms my assertion.

Did I ever disclose that I was the kind of geeky child that would spend hours perusing Roget’s thesaurus for the pure pleasure of growing my vocabulary? My copy was all nibbled along the top edge by my pet cockatiel who loved to perch on my books when I was reading.
No cockatiel then, but I did pretty much the same thing. I still keep a copy on my desk for some of the writing I do.