American Made

Got jokes? Funny images? Your tales of disaster? Youtube links?
Post them and share them.
Let the world laugh with you, (more fun if it's at you!)
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

American Made

Post by Bicycle Bill »

After almost twenty years, my old TV set finally gave up the ghost, so I had to get me a new one.  Found a good deal on one of these so-called "smart TV"s — an RCA 32-inch flat-screen (good enough for my small apartment), delivered to my front door, for only around a hundred and thirty bucks.

Of course, even though it says RCA on it, it's not made here in the USA.  This one came with a sticker on it that said, "Built In Antenna".
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Burning Petard

Re: American Made

Post by Burning Petard »

That reminds me of an NPR radio program that concludes "this program was produced by people talking into microphones."

snailgate

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:30 pm
This one came with a sticker on it that said, "Built In Antenna".
But now you can see when the quarterback completes a pass.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Long Run wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:51 am
But now you can see when the quarterback completes a pass.
Don't get me started on that!  I absolutely *loathe* the way the game has changed over the past forty or so years.
They should start making rules to encourage the running game more.  Let a defender put a serious hit on a receiver at the line of scrimmage and lay him out flat, for a start.  After all, the name of the game is 'football', not 'throwball' — so advance it by running it on foot!
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

Check that the cheap smart TV doesn't come with adverts built in.

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Oh BB That is the big mystery. FOOT ball? The only time a foot intentionally touches the ball is when one team wants the other team to handle the ball for a play or two.

snailgate

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

There's the confusion, see? Football is played in the UK, Europe, Asia, Africa, South and Central America - even Canada and a little bit in the USA. It's a game of kicking a BALL with the FOOT.

Amerikun Football is a distant cousin of real football (just as is rugby) - one of the "not-kicking'the-ball" sports (as in genetic mutations). Unlike rugby (even Union), it's not nearly as interesting and manages to stretch 60 mins over 3-4 hours for commercial purposes. Bunch of sell-outs

And don't get me started again on "hot tea", you language pariahs! :lol:
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

But what about iced tea? :shrug
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Lovely stuff. Tea with the correct modifier.

eta: see, see what you did? Now I've started!! :oops:
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Amerikun Football is a distant cousin of real football (just as is rugby) - one of the "not-kicking'the-ball" sports[/quote] (emphasos added

Not Kicking the ball? You obviously haven't ever watched the game. :shrug

And unlike soccer/football; in the US football only has one name.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Lib? Stachu? Can't be Big RR because he knows how to quote posts and spell 'emphosas'

:lol: :lol:

And anyway, Lib, AmFootball has other names: rugby for chicks, grid game (that's the one where the survivors get a big ball of money)
Last edited by MajGenl.Meade on Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

And the other thing American football never needs is an acting coach to teach the players how to feign serious injuries for penalties; real football players just shake it off and go back in. No fake grimaces or holding their legs writhing in phony pain. No sympathy from the referees. Did Olivier play soccer?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Brave soccer lads! :lol:

Rugby - that's a man's game, unlike either soccer or "I'm-inside-a-Panzer" chick rugby of the NFL

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I'll admit I enjoy rugby, the distant cousin of football, even though I don't know the rules (and from the matches, or is it scrums, I have seen, I don't think the players or officials do either. Quite the opposite of cricket, where the rules predominate--more a bunch of guys raising hell--football is a bit different (but I do think, if you like football you'd like rugby, and vice versa--as the crowds at American football games in England (and other European countries) show). And, FWIW, I enjoy watching soccer also--especially when it's well played; the world cup and olympics are always fun.