BBQ bikie

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
Gob

BBQ bikie

Post by Gob »

A man who was caught riding his motorbike along the Eastern Freeway in Melbourne with a barbecue strapped to his body has been fined $800 today and lost his licence for one month.

Michael Wiles spotted the cast-off cooker on the nature strip where it had been left for rubbish collection and, not wanting to splurge on a new one, decided to pick it up and take it home.

The 29-year-old proceeded to thread his body through the barbecue's frame and popped up the grate in front of his helmet before setting off along the Eastern Freeway in Kew on January 27, 2008, reaching estimated speeds of 75km/h.

But his plan came unstuck when a stunned passerby wound down their window and snapped a photograph, which was subsequently published in the media and led to Wiles' identity being revealed and a visit from the police.

In further setback, the barbecue turned out to be "a dud", Wiles' lawyer Paul McClure told the Melbourne Magistrates Court today.

"That's probably why it was on the side of the road," Mr McClure said.

Magistrate Lionel Winton-Smith said he had never encountered a case such as this in all his years as a magistrate.

"I have seen people with perhaps bits of wood sticking out of the car, but a barbecue?" Mr Winton-Smith said.

"I'm trying to think of a word to describe it."

"Ridiculous?" Mr McClure suggested.

"Ridiculous. That will do," Mr Winton-Smith said.

http://www.smh.com.au/victoria/snap-pro ... 13rmh.html

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Crackpot

Re: BBQ bikie

Post by Crackpot »

As much as I hate the other assholes on the road I wouldn't want to live in a country where you can be fined as such by a passerby.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

loCAtek

Post by loCAtek »

I feel his pain.

How do you carry the cumbersome, when you don't have a car?

I've taken to traveling with a backpack that can fit small shopping items, but one day I was at the Hardware store (not HD) to get a new garden hose. I wound up get a few more things, and one of them was a new garden rake. I'd been thinking I could sling it to my pack in a rifle carry, but it turned out to be too long for that.
The hose I had to remove from it's packaging and recoil in a figure '8' to make it smaller to fit into the back pack.
The rack ended up bungie corded to the straight bar of the bicycle frame, with a foot and a half of handle sticking out up front and the tines flaring out like a bustle over the rear tire.
It looked like I was ready for a poor man's Quidditch match, but I was street worthy.

On another day, I picked a picnic awning for sale cheap that was four foot long in the box. That I did carry in the back pack. A foot of it went into the pack space, the rest was wobbling three feet above my head, but it was secure. Lots of looks for the Hong Kong style bicycle carry by the load bearing burrita!

No arrests were made.

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Um, Uh, what law was broken?
Do they have some kind of size/weight limit for motorcycles?