[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Plan B Forum • View topic - A local kid makes good

A local kid makes good

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.

A local kid makes good

Postby MGMcAnick » Sat May 04, 2019 3:58 pm

As a fan of aviation and aviation history, I think it's important to "keep 'em flying". The fact that this young man, in his late 30s, is now approved to be the pilot in command of Doc will go a long way toward keeping Doc in the air.

https://www.b29doc.com/b-29-doc-adds-to ... 4-45020069
A friend of Doc's.
MGMcAnick

Re: A local kid makes good

Postby Bicycle Bill » Sat May 04, 2019 7:49 pm

Nice article ... but makes me wonder how they did it in the war years for the four-engine heavy bombers like the B-17, B-24, and B-29.  You can't tell me EVERY command pilot in the 8th Air Force's 1000-plane raids was a grizzled old veteran with a couple thousand flight hours logged in the right-hand seat before moving over.

I suspect someone pointed at a likely-looking kid, fresh out of basic training, and said "left seat", and that's what you got trained as — unless you made a total hash of it and washed out.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?
Bicycle Bill

A local kid makes good

Postby RayThom » Sun May 05, 2019 4:57 am

“I have lived in this world long enough to look carefully the second time into things that I am most certain of the first time."  
RayThom

Re: A local kid makes good

Postby MGMcAnick » Sat May 11, 2019 9:53 pm

A LOT of them were quite young. No problem. I started my private pilot training just shy of my 18th birthday.. No particular trick in learning to fly. I know several people who I think are complete idiots who have licenses.

I just finished reading a short book called Brennen's Circus, The Plane Who Wouldn't Die. Lt Brennen was 21. He and his crew successfully completed their assigned 25, then 30, then 50 missions in a B-17. They limped "The Circus" back to friendly territory on two engines that should not have kept running. His son Michael, who was adopted by a man named Beech, wrote the book after exhaustive research long after his father died.
A friend of Doc's.
MGMcAnick

Return to Hardware