EGR Vacuum Modulator

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.

EGR Vacuum Modulator

Postby RayThom » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:00 am

Jarlaxle wrote:Your mechanic is, quite simply, ripping you off. A NEW (not rebuilt) rack & pinion is less than $300. A quality (Cardone) rebuild is $170... Ray, kindly fuck off.

If you cut and paste my URL it directs you to the Cardone R&P, and it's cheaper than Rock Auto.
And "kindly fuck off?" Thanks for being so polite in your dismissal, asshole.
“I have lived in this world long enough to look carefully the second time into things that I am most certain of the first time." 
RayThom

Re: EGR Vacuum Modulator

Postby Jarlaxle » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:57 pm

BoSoxGal wrote:Yeah that’s what happens - it gets better over time but when the car is cold it’s wicked hard to steer. I trust my mechanic enough that I’m sure it’s the rack. I just need to talk to him about the parts and where to get them - I can clearly get them cheaper than his estimate even if I go with Toyota parts.

Actually strike that; it seems to me that my pump must be going bad because of the symptoms - the squealing at startup that gets better and the stiff steering. It might be that I need the pump and the rack both. Oh well I’ll see what the other mechanic place tells me Monday. They’ve got tons of 5 star ratings and customer praise online and have been in business 30 years so probably a reliable place.

Thanks Jarl.

The pump might be fine...just a bad rack will make it hang up like that. Squealing could be low fluid, or a slipping belt.

Wait-how old is the belt, and does the squealing happen when you lose power steering?
Those who live by the sword fall prey to those who live by the knife...
Jarlaxle

Postby BoSoxGal » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:20 am

The squealing/groaning and loss of steering only happen in the first 5 minutes after the car starts - and worse when it’s cold. Once the car is warm it steers great, I can still flip a bitch in a narrow street with ease and maneuver her very nimbly, the alignment is still great just tested it while tooling down the highway Friday. I have no idea if the belt has ever been changed - when I mentioned the squeal mechanic said something about adjusting it for me but that hasn't happened. I started backing into my spot at home so I can pull straight out the driveway instead of the multiple turn backing out I had to do to get pointed forward my old way of parking - so now I’m working on a new puddle of drips but it seems to be leaking less quickly that before. I check the level of the PS reservoir every week at least and never let it get too low.
@realDonaldTrump, your mouth is the foulest shithole in the world! ~ Vicente Fox Quesada
BoSoxGal

EGR Vacuum Modulator

Postby RayThom » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:06 am

Have you tried using some belt dressing spray? It's not good for continual use but one application won't hurt and you'll instantly hear a difference if it's the belt. Of course, it won't help the hose leak which I'm sure is your biggest problem.
“I have lived in this world long enough to look carefully the second time into things that I am most certain of the first time." 
RayThom

Postby BoSoxGal » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:29 pm

Just picked Reva up from the highly rated tire shop I took her to for a repair estimate. They replaced steering rack & gear and a bad ball joint plus the PS belt for just under $1200. Also bought 4 lovely Kumho tires that were very high rated on Consumer Reports - mine failed the Lincoln test when I checked them last weekend and when I brought her for an estimate earlier this week they marked my tires RED for replace ASAP. They offered to sell me some Black Lion tires cheaper but the reviews I read indicate the savings are sucked up by bad rolling resistance and low fuel efficiency.

Anyway, she’s fantastic like a brand new car - except I have to bring her back to replace the sway bar which is rattling like crazy. That’s only @ $200 total so I’ll get it done ASAP and then she’s be purring like a kitten again. She steers and rides like a dream now!
@realDonaldTrump, your mouth is the foulest shithole in the world! ~ Vicente Fox Quesada
BoSoxGal

EGR Vacuum Modulator

Postby RayThom » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:04 pm

RayThom

Postby Bicycle Bill » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:01 pm

Careful there, Ray .... if the 'OK' symbol is now considered a symbol of white supremacy to some people and is therefore racist and offensive, the fact that 'crossing one's fingers' traces back to the early Catholic Church
Common usage of the gesture traces back to the early centuries of the Catholic Church.  Common use of crossed finger is found in the Christians who would cross their fingers to invoke the power associated with Christ's cross for protection, when faced with evil.  In 16th-century England, people continued to cross fingers or make the sign of the cross to ward off evil, as well as when people coughed or sneezed.
means that I'm sure there is someone, somewhere who will have an issue with that hand sign as well on religious grounds.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?
Bicycle Bill

Postby BoSoxGal » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:05 pm

She’s only got 192k on her RT - she’s barely broken in. ;)

Took her about another 40 miles after posting previously - my usually Friday date with my elderly client, down to New Bedford on the highway for dinner and home through the woods on our usual country roads meander. WOW are these new tires great! SO quiet! The last few years I figured she was just getting so old the door seals and engine compartment muffling must be breaking down, but it was just really loud tires all along. And they ride like being on a cloud. Oh yeah and it steers great with no squealing.

Now I just have to clean up the power steering fluid puddle in my cousin’s driveway.
BoSoxGal

Postby Jarlaxle » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:33 pm

BoSoxGal wrote:She’s only got 192k on her RT - she’s barely broken in. ;)

Took her about another 40 miles after posting previously - my usually Friday date with my elderly client, down to New Bedford on the highway for dinner and home through the woods on our usual country roads meander. WOW are these new tires great! SO quiet! The last few years I figured she was just getting so old the door seals and engine compartment muffling must be breaking down, but it was just really loud tires all along. And they ride like being on a cloud. Oh yeah and it steers great with no squealing.

Now I just have to clean up the power steering fluid puddle in my cousin’s driveway.

Big bag of cheap cat litter from Walmart.
Those who live by the sword fall prey to those who live by the knife...
Jarlaxle

Previous

Return to Hardware