EGR Vacuum Modulator

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
datsunaholic

Re: EGR Vacuum Modulator

Post by datsunaholic »

But is it really going to the salvage yard? Who are you handing the title to?

$5k. For an engine that retails used for under $1000. With a warranty. I get that the labor cost will drive it up but that's insane. That's BMW engine territory.

Quoting and engine AND a timing belt... that comes with the engine. A remanufactured engine would have a new one. A used one, sure, it'd need one, since you don't know how old the belt is,but that's really easy to do on an engine that isn't even in the car.

Honestly, that's the sort of quote I see when a shop doesn't want to bother doing it. They take the ACTUAL price and double it. That's a $2500 repair on a BAD day. Or it's more sinister.

Now, if it's rusted out with a bunch of suspension issues, sure. Otherwise I suspect someone is buying themselves a cheap project car. Because one of the techs, not burdened with labor costs of course, could have that back on the road for about $700.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Thanks for the comment datsun, it’s very supportive.

I live in eastern Massachusetts, I know my prospects would be different if I still lived in rural Montana. A salvage or rebuild engine is at least $1k, I did the research online myself to double check the information I got from my mechanic shop - who I do have a relationship with going back several years and I know he’s not looking to screw me. Getting an engine that way on my own would mean my shop doesn’t warranty the engine at all for obvious reasons. Buying a new engine that could be warranteed would then necessitate buying many other parts which would drive up the cost before adding labor. The labor on installing a new engine and timing belt in these parts is over $3k.

Sure it would be great if I happened to have an auto shop in my backyard and all the tools and a mechanic friend who would do it for beer. That’s not my universe. Given the electrical issues she has and continues to suffer from, the knocking under the front end which I’m sure means she needed several hundred in front end work on top of the engine, and the fact that her transmission is technically at the mileage it could fail anytime, I think I’m making a well reasoned decision. I am not giving her title to anyone, she will never ride the roads again under a different captain.

Your post was unhelpful to my grieving process but I’ll take you on benefit of doubt and assume you intended to be kind in my hour of despair.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

I have to remind myself that you're in New England where cars don't routinely last 30 years and 300,000 miles like they do here on the West Coast. Hence repairing something over 20 years old is more expensive. I also have to remind myself that even here cars from the 1990s are not often seen on the roads anymore.

Yes, with that many issues I can see it's the right decision. You need something reliable and keeping a quarter-century old vehicle on the road is a gamble of diminishing returns. I drive a 33 year old Pathfinder which has more wrong than right, but I wouldn't say it's a car my Mother should drive, for instance.

I wasn't trying to be mean. I'm a skeptic. I drive a tow truck for a living. I see what the shops do and say. I see them buy cars for $100, $200 from the owners because they were "too expensive to fix" and then turn around and fix them then sell them for less than the original estimated repair cost. They don't all do that. Lots of places are honest.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

There is a purple RAV4 for sale not far from me - a 2016 with deluxe package, but it’s got 121k on it and they want $16k which cars.com says is a fair deal.

I bought Reva for $11k and she had 37k on her at the time and was 5 years old. I have sticker shock over current used car pricing!

I think I’m going to ditch driving for a while with the exception of borrowing my cousin’s car for occasional errands/appointments in exchange for generous gas money contributions. There are bunches of places within walking distance I can work and it will be good for me to live a walking based lifestyle again - I haven’t since law school and that’s the last time my health was really optimal.

I wish I could ride my bike (which is purple!) but I think I would risk a high likelihood of serious injury or death around here if I did - so many distracted and angry drivers on the road.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

I've got 65,000 on my 2019 RAV4 Hybrid* and am still completely satisfied. (I'm especially happy about the mpg the hybrid gives me.) But a purple one does sound tasty!

*(no name...with only 1 exception I've never named any of my vehicles)
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

I may be getting a different car in a few months. If so, I'll sell you mine cheap.

BSG, can you drive a standard shift?
Treat Gaza like Carthage.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:09 am
I may be getting a different car in a few months. If so, I'll sell you mine cheap.

It's been several years since I've had a standard, but I learned to drive one at 16 and had a standard shift for a few years, so I think I could pick it back up.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

i love that term "standard shift"; I can't recall the last time a manual transmission was standard on passenger cars (even if it was avaialble); even the sportier and performance cars are coming with automatic transmissions, much to my chagrin. They can be annoying in traffic, but usually I prefer a manual transmission, even though it has been around 10 years since I had one. I used to drive them for the better gas mileage, then because I liked the performance, but even manufacturers of sports cars I will never buy have chosen to discontinue the manual option.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:15 am
Jarlaxle wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:09 am

It's been several years since I've had a standard, but I learned to drive one at 16 and had a standard shift for a few years, so I think I could pick it back up.
It's only 2300lbs, but I worry you might hurt yourself trying to pick up a Hyundai Accent. :mrgreen:

I'm here all week, please tip the waitstaff... :arg

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Rent a car in the UK and it is usually a stick. You have to specify if you want automatic. A few years ago I did it on line and I must have pressed the wrong button because when I got to Mr Avis at Heathrow they had a stick shift for me. I have to admit I have become lazy and prefer auto. I asked them how much extra an automatic would be - they calculated it and said £82 (then around $100). I was going to be there for 3 weeks so I thought - that's not too bad - OK I'll take it. Er - £82 per day. I relearned how to drive a stick very quickly.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Andy, It's been a few years since I rented overseas, but I usually got a manual transmission when I did (in much of western Europe), but I do wonder if it is changing recently--especially since even companies like Porsche aren't making manual transmissions all that much. I read somewhere that the gas mileage differences between manual and automatic are not as great as they used to be, which I always thought was the reason for the popularity of manuals in Europe (given the prices for gas).

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

By happenchance there is a letter in the latest consumer report magazine declaring that the current RAV4 plug in hybrid is THE ideal car.

I suspect, that BSG's world philosophy says someone else must absorb the immediate depreciation of a new car.

snailgate.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Burning Petard wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:23 pm
By happenchance there is a letter in the latest consumer report magazine declaring that the current RAV4 plug in hybrid is THE ideal car.

I suspect, that BSG's world philosophy says someone else must absorb the immediate depreciation of a new car.

snailgate.
I wouldn’t mind owning one brand new car in my lifetime. I will buy a lottery ticket this week.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

I have, it's highly overrated. Especially since you can't really order one the way you want anymore.

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

Someone just posted an 06 Rav with 235k miles on it locally. They want 5k.