What Car Were You First Licensed To Drive?

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
RayThom

Post by RayThom »

MGMcAnick wrote:License? We don't need no stinkin' license... The first car I ever drove was my mother's 1957 English Ford Squire.
Oh, yeah? Well, buddy boy, I was driving a Case Farm Tractor when I was ten. So, there!

This is very close to the make and model:
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

MGMcAnick

Re: What Car Were You First Licensed To Drive?

Post by MGMcAnick »

Our tractor was an Oliver 88. I drove it at least a year before the English Ford. I had trouble depressing the clutch. I didn't weigh enough. It depressed straight down to the floor. Once I stood up, and got it down, it was hard to let up slowly enough if there was an implement in the ground behind it.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractor ... hotos.html

I much preferred the hand operated clutch on our Caterpillar 20. It was an antique when I was a kid, but it was still a hard worker. The clutch was either "clicked" in or out. In the picture below, the clutch lever is the one that comes up at an angle and then goes straight up. The two straight levers, one hiding behind the other, are for steering. There are also two brake pedals for sharp turns. Pull the lever, push the brake, and make a 180 on the spot.

My dad traded the Cat, even up, for a post war Oliver 90 when I was still in high school. I think he always wished he'd kept the Cat.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

MGMcAnick wrote:Our tractor was an Oliver 88. I drove it at least a year before the English Ford. I had trouble depressing the clutch... I much preferred the hand operated clutch on our Caterpillar 20. It was an antique when I was a kid...
Uncle! Uncle! I give up, you got me. The Case tractor would have been mere child's play for you.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Darren

Post by Darren »

1963 Volkswagen Kombi. We had a 57 before the 63. Dad opened the split windshield out on the 57 once. It was sealed up forever after that.

Thank you RBG wherever you are!

dales

Post by dales »

Those are worth a ton of money, today.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Beer Sponge

Post by Beer Sponge »

I learned on a ‘63 Valiant. White with one red door. Slant 6. Great car, always stared no matter what the weather.
Personally, I don’t believe in bros before hoes, or hoes before bros. There needs to be a balance. A homie-hoe-stasis, if you will.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

dales wrote:Those are worth a ton of money, today.
Heck yeah they are! Whenever I buy a lottery ticket (not often) I spend a few days daydreaming about what I’ll buy with the winnings; an old VW bus like that is on the list, with the roof racks and the top that opens to the sky. I’ve browsed them online and they go for as much as a brand new Mercedes in many cases.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

BoSoxGal wrote: . . .the top that opens to the sky.
I had an Alfa with a bottom that opened to the road. Does that count?

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:I had an Alfa with a bottom that opened to the road. Does that count?
Is that reminiscent of flaming floorboards?

Steve Tom, who wrote the book Flaming Floorboards, and I lead parallel lives several hundred miles apart until he joined the air force.
http://www.random-writings.com/index.php?p=1_16

My Model A Fords (3) and MGAs (6) have (or had) wooden floorboards. Only one MGA's floor ever got hot enough to smoke when the exhaust pipe got bent upward, but I know exactly what Mr Tom wrote about.

OK, I know Alfas had metal floors. At least the MGA floors didn't rust.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Gob

Post by Gob »

"What Car Were You First Licensed To Drive?", sounds a bit odd to me.

It's as if you had a license specific to that car, rather than a driving license...
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

First car I ever drove was a 64 VW bug, in 1970 when dad took me to a parking lot and taught me the stick shift.
Passed my road test (january 1976) in moms 67 plymouth belvedere wagon. Had my license suspended in april for speeding in the bug. 50mph in a 30mph. Was still on probation so they took my license for 60 days. First car I bought (in june 1976) was a 64 dodge dart (had the push button tranny).

No Greater Fool

Post by No Greater Fool »

1953 Three on the tree straight 8 Buick Special

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Three-on-the-tree, plus low rpm torque engines made 'rocking' the car out of snow and mud easy. Now it is a lost art.

snailgate

wesw

Post by wesw »

meade wins

wesw

Post by wesw »

joe won 2nd, even tho it was a chevy. i think the story won it for him.....

i don t remember what my mom had at the time, i think it was the Ford maverick, a car that was just as good as the pinto....,

i do remember hitting the pothole from hell on the way home from getting my learners permit.

broke a tie rod.

ihandled it well, and just let it find it s own way to the side of the road.

the first car i bought was an old Honda civic, which promptly was condemned upon inspection....

my uncle felt so bad for me that he gave me a 79 mustang 5.0 that he had laying around.....