How long before he has an accident!?!

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
Gob

How long before he has an accident!?!

Post by Gob »

A motorist aged 100 has notched up 85 years behind the wheel without ever causing an accident or taking a driving test.

Grandfather George Geeson has clocked up a million miles over the years and is in is such good health the DVLA has now extended his licence by three years. The pensioner, who received a telegram from the Queen on his birthday yesterday, first took to the road in a Model T Ford in 1925 and bought his first car for two pounds and ten shillings (£2.50).
George Geeson, 100, has been granted an extension to his driving licence after 85 years behind the wheel - and without ever taking a formal test

The former garage owner, who claims to have been driving longer than anyone else in the UK, said the licence extension was on a par with the monarch's recognition of his milestone. 'When I first started driving there was no test, you just got on with it,' he said.

'I was very lucky because a gentleman in the village used to let me drive his Model T Ford. I am the longest continuous driver in the country and I'm very proud to have made it to 100 without having caused an accident. 'In many ways receiving the extension to my license is just as important as the telegram from the Queen.

'I haven't got any medical problems and my eyesight is fine so I'd like to keep going for as long as I'm in good health. I don't want to predict how much longer I can carry on driving but hopefully for a good while yet.' Mr Geeson first drove at the age of 15. He bought his first car, a Wyllis-Overland Whippet, 10 years later.

In the past 85 years, he has only ever been involved in one accident - when another motorist shunted into the back of him in the pouring rain in 1958. He now lives with his disabled wife Viola, 97, in South Witham, near Grantham, Lincolnshire, and has three grandchildren.

GEORGE'S CARS
1925 - he first drove a Model T Ford

He owned:

1935 - blue Willys-Overland Whippet

1937 - black Ford 8 saloon

1939 - black Ford Anglia 'standard'

1940 - blue Buick Special saloon

1941 - grey eight-seater Humber Pullman

1941 - grey Model A Ford

1953 - green Ford Popular

1959 - green with white top Ford Consul

1963 - Ford Consul

1965 - dark blue Jaguar 3.8 S-type

1970 - green Chrysler Valiant

1974 - dark blue Triumph Spitfire1500

1976 - blue Austin Maxi

1980 - green Austin 1100

1984 - Austin 1100

1997 - red Peugeot Diesel 306

2001 - red Peugeot 106
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z11oOh9giA
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

dales

Re: How long before he has an accident!?!

Post by dales »

Go get 'em gramps! :ok

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

without ever causing an accident
How does he know that? He could have caused one without ever knowing it. Cut someone off, they hit something and the person who caused it just keeps on driving. I've seen it happen.

Gob

Post by Gob »

True O-n-W. My mother in law has never been in an accident, she's seen LOADS of them though. :)
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Post by Gob »

for Xmas he wants a GPS...
A lost and exhausted pensioner drove the wrong way along a dual carriageway after setting off 14 hours earlier - on a 70-mile journey to the seaside.

Magistrates heard how 86-year-old John Marsden left his home at Farnworth, Bolton, at 8.30 in the morning with a book of maps. He intended to spend a fortnight in a caravan near Rhyl, in North Wales, a little more than an hour away. But at 11pm on July 10, North Wales police received several calls about him driving west on the A55 dual carriageway - in an eastbound lane.

Prosecutor Rhian Jackson told Llandudno court he was at Llanfairfechan, nearly 30 miles west of Rhyl. Marsden drove at about 40mph in the outer lane, passing other motorists who told police it was lucky that there hadn’t been a serious crash. Mrs Jackson said police estimated that Marsden, who pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, had been in the wrong carriageway for at least six-and-a-half miles.

The pensioner, who was a wartime RAF driver, appeared in court proudly wearing his service medals and a blue beret and walked with the aid of a stick. The prosecutor said police stopped his Vauxhall Cavalier near Bangor.

'Due to his age and the time of day and the fact he was exhausted, the officer took the decision not to arrest him', she said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z14NBgTqWe

Gob

Post by Gob »

It's an unusual way to get out of a tight parking space.

But reversing into a car that blocked his garage and shunting the offending vehicle into the road has landed one 83-year-old with a hefty fine and a driving ban.

The moment of parking rage was captured on CCTV as Ronald Pemberton used his Peugeot estate to move a Ford Ka opposite a primary school.

Two weeks later he was caught repeating the offence by pushing a Mazda into the road.

A court heard how Pemberton, who still works running two stationery companies, has rented the garage near his home for 20 years but had become frustrated by people parking in front of it.

But Sarah Regan, prosecuting, said he had not taken the right course of action. She said: ‘The way you deal with it is to leave a note on the windscreen and have a word when they come back. You don’t use your car to move it.’

Giving evidence in the trial, Pemberton said he was unaware of the presence of pedestrians when he carried out the manoeuvres near to Cabot Primary School in Bristol.

‘He had no idea whether people were passing by,’ added Miss Regan.

Pemberton pleaded guilty earlier this year to dangerous driving for the first incident on November 24, 2009. He denied the second offence on December 9 last year but was found guilty by a jury at Bristol Crown Court.

Recorder Nicholas Rowland banned Pemberton from driving for 12 months and ordered him to pay nearly £2,000 in fines, court costs and compensation.

He told him: ‘It’s very sad to see somebody of your age in court at all but I’m afraid you can’t go taking the law into your own hands.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z15Vu0yY9N

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

‘The way you deal with it is to leave a note on the windscreen and have a word when they come back. You don’t use your car to move it.’
Oh that works. The guy needs to get his car out now, not when the jerk who blocked the garage decides to come back. Call the cops and get them to have it towed is how it should have been handled.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

agreed. But boy is it cathartic to push the damned thing out of the way.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

I'm sure the old man enjoyed doing it.
I know I would have

kristina

Post by kristina »

I know I'd enjoy it, but I'm far too much of a chicken to actually do it.

Not to mention that my little Scion xB would crumple like a beer can.

If it's even powerful enough to move a car from a dead stop!

Gob

Post by Gob »

After pushing it out into the middle of the road, he should have let all its tyres down too.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

I might have shoved it back, then pushed it IN the garage & closed the door. Figure THAT out, dickhead!

(Ah, the versatility of a large 4WD pickup truck with heavy steel bumpers & a diesel engine...)

Gob

Post by Gob »

LOL!! Nice idea :)

Then pull it back out before the cops arrive :)

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

And with a nice present: a gallon of Cam 2 (high-octane LEADED race gas) in the petrol tank.