Plane Nuts

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
dales

Plane Nuts

Post by dales »

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/brand- ... 1743122173

While being operated at roughly 15,000ft, “the aircraft exceeded the targeted angle of sideslip until it departed controlled flight,” the report states. It “momentarily inverted, before being recovered after losing approximately 5,000ft of altitude.” The aircraft’s crew – who escaped injury – returned to base and landed safely, but the Ghostrider was rendered a total loss, having exceeded its operating g limits and design load.

Investigators have attributed the incident to the pilot’s “excessive rudder input during the test point, followed by inadequate rudder input to initiate a timely recovery from high angle of sideslip due to over-controlled/under-controlled aircraft,” along with the “wrong choice of action during an operation.”

In other words, the "pilot" fcuked up and destroyed a 155 million dollar aircraft due to his inability to control said craft.

WHAT A PUTZ! :lol:

Perhaps I should reconsider..........................................Image

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

liberty

Re: Plane Nuts

Post by liberty »

I can’t see them sending it to the bone yard; it seems it would be sent to Tinker or some other depot for evaluation and rebuild.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

What they're saying is the structure is shot (over stressed) no sane person would let it fly again. You just don't risk lives on "well it looked ok"
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

liberty

Post by liberty »

Crackpot wrote:What they're saying is the structure is shot (over stressed) no sane person would let it fly again. You just don't risk lives on "well it looked ok"
I wasn’t in Logistic
Command and I didn’t work in depot maintenance, so I don’t know for sure of the extent of the maintenance. But I do know this: If it can be built, it can be rebuilt. And I have seen a B-52 with sections of skin removed. They were doing something underneath. Perhaps a cost benefit analyst was made and it was determined that it would be cheaper to replace this plan than to repair it.
At any rate, it would not be a total lost; it would be sent to the bone yard and cannibalized until nothing was left other than scrap metal.

http://www.dm.af.mil/units/amarc.asp
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Yikes! Are they gonna make the pilot pay for it from his salary??? :shock:

Too bad the rest of us aren't allowed such expensive mistakes in life.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

wesw

Post by wesw »

Malaysia Air is looking for a few new planes.....

as to the satellite photo..., idiots. "i thought that you secured the straps..."

that comes from no one having the balls to tell the boss to slow down and do it right....

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I do structural design at a certain point you just have to toss everything and start over.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

dgs49

Post by dgs49 »

I once drove a forklift off a loading dock and down to the pavement below, forks first.

There was a steel-plate that rested on the loading area because spalling in the underlying concrete made riding the forklift challenging, especially with a heavy load. The plate was only anchored by an angle-iron on the edge, which was to butt up against the outer ridge of the dock. But the plate would occasionally migrate toward the opening and hang over. When that happened, a couple of us would have to go out into the parking lot and push the plate back against the dock until the lip came into contract with the building.

I had the great idea of just using the torque of the forklift to pull the plate back into place. Gas it up, pop the clutch, and presto, the plate slides violently back into place. I actually did it successfully a couple times. Before the time when I lost control and rode the forklift over the edge. It was quite entertaining, and possibly fatal.

I had a lot of splainin' to do. Told the boss I had confused the reverse-drive lever with the high-low lever. Didn't get fired.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

It was quite entertaining, and possibly fatal
Don't be shy - was it fatal? (it would account for the 'D')

And welcome back
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Never drove a forklift off a loading dock, but did lose a couple of pallets of beer. Heineken pallets were especially fragile. Rather than have a "well made" pallet that you returned to the manuf, they shipped the beer on a crappy, light weight, splintered pallet with shrink-wrap holding the whole thing together. When you cut off the shrink wrap anything could happen to the pallet/beer. We tried to leave it in place once we cut off the shrink wrap, but somtimes.....

dales

Post by dales »

Heineken ?

No great loss.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

dales wrote:Heineken ?

No great loss.
My thoughts exactly.
Of course the boss thought differently.
:mrgreen:

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Heineken... I always thought that was a bit redundant. It's just two words meaning the same thing, innit?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

kmccune

Post by kmccune »

Seen a video of the wings coming off a C-130 during a firefighting job ,The plane had dumped and was just starting to pull out,when the main wings came off,so design stress limits are in place for a reason(I think the crew was killed when the fuselage hit the ground.Used to watch a Guy do firedrops with a DC-4 around here ,He was real careful,but His spotter in Her little plane didnt mind Hot Dogging(I wonder if She still has that job?)Abrupt pullups stress a plane severely.That DC-4 pilot treated His aircraft with the utmost respect,those old radial engines sure sang a tune,it was something to watch.On the other hand one of the scariest things I have witnessed is Helicopter logging(not much room for error at all)