Some nice British cars

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
Gob

Some nice British cars

Post by Gob »

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

wesw

Re: Some nice British cars

Post by wesw »

nice.

I ll take one landrover, one jag (hardtop), one phantom, and a mini for around town and in the yard driving...., please and thank you?

oh, and an MG!

MG McAnick

Post by MG McAnick »

MGs, especially the 'T' series cars of the '40s and '50s, were noticeably absent from the list. If I were a farcebook junkie, I probably would have pointed that out to them.
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

I'll take a Jaguar XJS in British Racing Green.

Powered by an LS2 from a Pontiac G8, backed by a 6-speed manual.

dales

Post by dales »

Sign me up for one of these:

McLaren P1 (2013)
The McLaren P1 is proof that singular, eccentric visions are alive and well in the UK car industry. The ultimate supercar from a small, hyper-obsessive manufacturer, the P1 is a race-bred rocket with a gasoline-electric hybrid powertrain. Its 727hp, 3.8-litre twin-turbo V8 meets a 176hp electric motor; the system’s 903hp total output spins the rear wheels through a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission. With production limited to 375 cars, priced at a cool £866,000 (roughly $1.3 million) apiece, the P1 promises to achieve the mythic status of its vaunted predecessor, the 1992-98 McLaren F1. (Martyn Goddard)

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Fafhrd

Post by Fafhrd »

Nowadays , you must have a motorcycle license to drive a Morgan 3 wheeler, of course.

MG McAnick

Post by MG McAnick »

Fafhrd wrote:Nowadays , you must have a motorcycle license to drive a Morgan 3 wheeler, of course.
Morgan's three wheelers have always been taxed as motorcycles. That's one reason Mr Morgan originally built them that way. It was much cheaper to license a three wheeler in the UK than a car. It's only in the last several (20?) years or so that a motorcycle endorsement has been required on my license to be legal to ride a motorcycle. I was "grandfathered" in without taking any kind of bike test, ever. I kept renewing my license with the endorsement until such time as I started riding again 15 years ago. I keep being asked "When did BMW start making motorcycles"? "Ummm, 1923". I have several older friends who had to either take a motorcycle riding course or go through the state's parking lot riding test so that they could begin riding again.
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

RayThom

JAGUAR XK-E COUPE

Post by RayThom »

A neighbor owned one of these in the '60s. Mostly, however, it owned him. Due to all the dissimilar metals that were used in its manufacture this "magnificent motorcar" was at the mechanic's shop at least once a month -- for days at a time. Not to mention the Lucas wiring system -- are the lights on or off? Plus the body metal was so thin and unprotected from the elements that you could pull up a chair and watch it rust.

That was then, this is now. I could be quite content owning a '16 Jaguar F-type coupe or convertible. The only thing stopping me are those pesky monthly payments.

Have I mentioned the fine craftsmanship and ride of the 2010 KIA Forte EX? Sweet! Man, that's an experience of a lifetime. And rightly so -- that's probably how long I'm going to own it.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Fafhrd

Post by Fafhrd »

I suppose the motorcycle test is different in each jurisdiction. I've read it consisted in one place as a twisting course which must be navigated in over so much time (e.g., very, very slowly) without placing feet on ground. Evidently, the ability to stop without using feet was a plus. None of this would seem to be required in a Morgan, however.

dgs49

Post by dgs49 »

I agree with our correspondent above: When I think of classic British sports cars, the first ones that come to mind are the MG-T's and Triumphs. Notwithstanding the fact that they were rust-prone and not especially reliable, they developed a devoted following of not only owners but people like me who just enjoy seeing them careen around vintage GP races.

But still, were I a Brit I would be proud of several of the pictured cars.

wesw

Post by wesw »

my aunt had an MG.

it was just flat out fun to drive.

I was 21 then tho..., shifting gears was still fun.