Weird and wonderful

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
Gob

Weird and wonderful

Post by Gob »

What weird, and / or wonderful cars have you owned?

I'll kick us off...

My first car, and one which I still carry a flame for,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Anglia

1959 Ford Anglia (as seen in Harry Potter.)

The weirdest car I have owned?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_2CV

Citroen 2CV Van.

Bought it for 200 quid, drove it all over Europe for 2 months, clocked up thousands of miles, sleeping in the back with my then girlfriend. It blew up in Italy so we abandoned it and hitched home.

Any cars from outside the mainstream you have owned?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

kristina

Re: Weird and wonderful

Post by kristina »

This is only the third car I've owned. Had a '66 Chevy BelAir for a while in the late 70s, then no car at all until I inherited an '89 Toyota truck from the Spousal Unit in 2002. When that died four years ago, I got this little beast. Not great in a cross-wind, but I love it. Great gas mileage, and with the back seats down, lots of cargo space!

loCAtek

Post by loCAtek »

My first car;

My Dad didn't want to buy me a car at 16, neither did he want to have to chauffeur me everywhere I needed to go, particularly not to my job every day. Besides, I wasn't 16 at my first real, government taxable, job; I was 15, so I got a moped that you didn't have to have a license for.

I remember putting motorcycle-style saddle bags on that thing, to counter the unfashionably large helmet, my dad made me wear. Remember those super-space bubble types of the 80's? :mrgreen:

@meric@nwom@n

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

My folks had one of these, a pink Rambler station wagon. It was not in tip top shape like this pic:

At the time my dad liked Ramblers. He bought several and fixed them up. I wasn't old enough to be embarrassed by riding in the old pink one.

@meric@nwom@n

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

He had one that was like this too, again not as pristine as the pic here. I recall it being a powder blue:

Sean

Post by Sean »

This was a photo of my first car taken shortly after I dispensed with its services last year...

Why is it that when Miley Cyrus gets naked and licks a hammer it's 'art' and 'edgy' but when I do it I'm 'drunk' and 'banned from the hardware store'?

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

A few weird cars for me (no shock...):
I currently own a Gremlin, originally a 304 V8 with a 3-speed manual, now has a 401 with a blower & a 4-speed. Loud, fast, and fun.
I owned a 1983 Jeep J-20 pickup for several years: 9MPG (AMC 360 engine), snowplow, 4 wheel drive, built like a tank.
My first car was a 1978 Ford Fairmont wagon...not all that unusual, except it was a factory manual-transmission car.
I had a 1977 Cougar...again, the car isn't that unusual, but it was built the last day of MY 1977 production, which resulted in some quirks: it was an XR7, the high-end trim line, with A/C, quadraphonic stereo, Landau top, powdercoated alloy wheels, dual remote mirrors, and the 351M engine, but, it also had crank windows, manual bench seat, manual locks, no tilt column, no cruise control, no console, no rear defroster, not even the power trunk release. More strangely, it was a 1977 with a full 1978 interior...being a "last-day" car, I suspect it was a case of using up whatever parts they had available.
1982 Mercury Marquis station wagon: a fullsized wagon (not the downsized Marquis), but not a Grand Marquis and not a Colony Park, no fake woodgrain. Other than that & the quirks common to the early-80's fullsized Fords (like the horn on the turn signal stalk), nothing all that unusual.
Nothing all that unusual about my Magnum...it's a 2007 R/T RWD with no options, only unusual thing is the Steel Blue paint. it's a common enough color (see it a lot on trucks, SUV's, and PT Cruisers), but very rare on Magnums. In 3 years, I've seen one other in the same color and that was in Ohio.
Treat Gaza like Carthage.

Sean

Post by Sean »

Citroen 2CV Van.
How did I know that somewhere in your shady past there lurked a lentilmobile Strop... :D
Why is it that when Miley Cyrus gets naked and licks a hammer it's 'art' and 'edgy' but when I do it I'm 'drunk' and 'banned from the hardware store'?

Gob

Post by Gob »

Upside-down pram...

Seriously great vehicle, I loved it.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

First car was a 64 dodge dart (push button tranny), then a 68 VW bus (camper edition). Was supposed to go cross country with a buddy of mine in the VW, but we both found our future wives and never made the trip.

dales

Post by dales »

This was my second car, my first was a Volkswagen which I paid $350.

I paid $1100 for this back in 1973.

Not nearly as nice as the pic, but just as much fun to drive.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

alice

Post by alice »

I'm absolutely drooling over that one, dales - it's a porsche isn't it?
It looks soooooo classy and sooooooo stunning. :-)
Life is like photography. You use the negative to develop.

dales

Post by dales »

thx, Alice.

It was a 1958 Porsche, but my "classy and stunnning" daze are long behind. :lol:

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Reality Bytes

Post by Reality Bytes »

My first car was one of these :

My parents bought it for me when I was having driving lessons, so I used to go out and sit in it and listen to the radio while running the engine to keep it ticking over - unfortunately the floor of the car was rusted through and the seats fell through long before I passed my test and was able to drive it anywhere :lol:

Hubby and I also had one of these in that exact colour ...

best car we ever had was this:

I LOVED that car it could beat pretty much anything away from the lights - I remember being in Cornwall and some arrogant tosspot in a Sierra Cosworth came up alongside me at traffic lights and sat there revving his engine and just being a total dickhead ... I just smiled and when the lights turned green gave him the finger as I left him standing :lol: that car was THE most expensive car to keep on the road of any car we have owned before or after, but I'd have another one tomorrow given the chance. A real drivers car, she went round corners like she was on rails, a superb driving experience.
If you can keep your head while those around you are losing theirs, you may have misjudged the situation.

alice

Post by alice »

My dad used to muck around with old cars and do them up, and I never realised how really weird and awesome some of them were until way too late. Now I'm struggling to remember some of them.

In the late 1950's (before my time) he had a wooden chassis sports car. I'm not sure if it was a Morgan or MG or something altogether different - my mum has some old slide photo's somewhere but can't find them (I've nagged her for ages and will continue to). My memories are because of all the old slide nights and the stories they would tell about their trips and adventures in it. It wouldn't have been new when he bought it, but was still in fantastic condition, was 2-door, red with a soft top, and we're in Australia -whatever wooden frame vehicles were around Australia around then. I've looked at pics of Morgans, and I love them, but not sure it they match my memories of the photo's of the car. Any help to work it out, based on what would have been available in Australia at the time, would be appreciated :-)
And when we were young kids in NT he was doing up a Zephyr - again soft top. I can't find a photo that fully matches my hazy memories (I was only 6-7 when he sold it), but the one below has a familiar look to it: it seems like it make have been a mark II from the photos I've looked at in car mags since. Again I'm nagging my mum for photos :-D
At one stage after that we went travelling in two cars, both done up as camper vans - mum and dad drove one each, parked them next to each other at night, and the kids slept in one with them in the other. One was a white Thames van - something like this picture but ours had a bullbar and so the front was a bit different, of course:
The other was a Combi van (two toned white and green - dad used to do all the mechanics, conversions and painting). After we'd finished travelling we sold the Combi but the Thames was our much loved family car for years. In the days before seat belts were compulsory, we used to travel very comfortably in it, and often we'd pile up to 15 neighbourhood kids in the back for outings to various places (especially the speedway -it was a regular event). When it was finally deemed by dad to be not worth repairing again, we were actually crying - we loved that car!!!
After that he had an old EK Holden- It was salmon pink. He, kept the colour, did it up and travelled (without us) up and around all over Australia, through the deserts and cities etc etc. Somewhere along the line he got a funny little caravan, and by the end of his travelling days he was quite a funny little oddity - and probably road risk - tottering around the place. By the time he died it was pretty run down (he'd been sick for a long while and couldn't maintain any of it any more, and we sold the car to an enthusiast who lovingly restored it yet again. This is a google image but gives a pretty good idea how it looked (except in salmon pink): Image
My dad used to pick up great little odd weird cars all the time - at one stage when my older sister was at home he helped her get a car - again I don't remember the name but it was a tiny little (2-door, from memory), darkish green car and not overly fast, but really cute. But what i always remember about it was that it was a 2-stroke. My older sister used it a bit, but it was my younger sister mostly who drove around in it, with me as front seat passenger and we absolutely loved it. My older sister was never that thrilled with it, and she eventually sold it. My oldest son is a car enthusiast and he's asked about it - I don't remember the name and we haven't been able to find a photo of it in any of our albums.
And I've been looking at so many google images that I've muddled my memory of it - but I don't remember it having back passenger seats, and I do remember it being very tiny. The little vespa pictures seems to fit my memory better of the front of it than the trabant, although aspects of both cars seem familar. We were in the NT and he found it (second hand, of course) in the 1970's - any help with what would have been around in Australia at that time would be appreciated :-)
Image (vespa above, ttabant below) Image
He also raced cars, but that's another memory lane drifty altogether
And he had / did up other cars and a bike or two - the ones above were my favourite memories
Thank you so much for sparking this little nostalgic trip. I've enjoyed it :-)
Life is like photography. You use the negative to develop.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

A few oddball things I've owned: 1957 Packard
Image Image Image

1963 Land Rover Series 2a 109 station wagon.....1969 International Harvester Scout 800A
Image...... Image

1980 Ford E-350 Econoline Quadravan 4x4.....1954 VW Kombi
Image Image
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God