EGR Vacuum Modulator

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
Jarlaxle

Re: EGR Vacuum Modulator

Post by Jarlaxle »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:10 am
I found a few around here that look decent on the yard listing photos, but who knows how they look now.

I think after all I’m just going to fix the hole in the side of my bucket seat with some foam stuffing and an iron on patch like for clothing. The rest of the fabric in front is ok, just faded but after a vacuum and shampoo of all the pollen and dirt it will be nice enough. The back bench has fabric rips from dog claws, but I cover the bench now with a blanket so it’s not even visible most of the time.

I think it’s probably not quite right how much I’m attached to this car. *sigh* All of my dogs have ridden in Reva, including my law school dog Gus who has been gone for 17 years. Somewhere in Reva is one of his hairs, I’m sure.
Uhh...I wouldn't recommend ironing a patch on a seat. One, it probably won't work well, and two, you might melt the seat foam.
Treat Gaza like Carthage.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:01 am
BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:10 am
I found a few around here that look decent on the yard listing photos, but who knows how they look now.

I think after all I’m just going to fix the hole in the side of my bucket seat with some foam stuffing and an iron on patch like for clothing. The rest of the fabric in front is ok, just faded but after a vacuum and shampoo of all the pollen and dirt it will be nice enough. The back bench has fabric rips from dog claws, but I cover the bench now with a blanket so it’s not even visible most of the time.

I think it’s probably not quite right how much I’m attached to this car. *sigh* All of my dogs have ridden in Reva, including my law school dog Gus who has been gone for 17 years. Somewhere in Reva is one of his hairs, I’m sure.
Uhh...I wouldn't recommend ironing a patch on a seat. One, it probably won't work well, and two, you might melt the seat foam.
There are some that have adhesive which strengthens with heat but adheres initially without. I think that adhesion might be enough because it won’t get laundered like clothing would. I could also hand stitch the edging of the patch to the seat.

Last resort would be a seat cover but I’m not partial to the ones that stretch over the headrest etc. I wish they had covers just for the bottom part of the bucket seat.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

I've seen some, but paid little attention. Maybe try an upholstery shop?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

It’s finally happened - Reva has sprung an oil leak. Calling tomorrow to get her in for a diagnosis. What’s the least bad/expensive thing it could be? I really wanted another year, or two.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

It could be as simple and cheap to fix as a loose oil plug or oil filter. Did she lose a lot of oil at one time or is it just leaving drops on the ground? I'm assuming you've checked the dipstick. If it lost a lot of oil at once, that's obviously a more potentially expensive problem and you shouldn't drive it to a shop. I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know.

Of course, I'm assuming you're talking about and are sure that it's engine oil.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Old-tyme red-neck, anti-tree-hugger question: Is the dip stick showing you need add to more than one qt of oil a month? If not, just keep pouring it in, and park it on gravel or something non-asphalt. And carry a couple of cans in the trunk.

Digression question: is this the longest and/or longest running car-fixer thread?

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’m sure it’s the longest running car fixer thread here, but maybe not on the whole interwebs. Reva is 24 this year, so she is either ready for the junkyard or just getting broken in, depending on one’s perspective. Luckily I’m fond of her, which makes it easier to accept that I can’t really afford to get rid of her yet.

I have certainly had vehicles in the past that burned oil on the regular, and even now I carry all the fluids around in a caddy in the back because you never know when you’ll need them. I don’t mind feeding Reva a quart a month if that’s all it takes - there is already a big stain where I park from when my rack and pinion was leaking and our driveway is so messed up it’s no big deal to add a little more.

Going on Wednesday, hopefully he’ll tell me that she’s good to keep running with just regular top offs on oil. I mean, she sounds fine and is performing fine so why not? I will try to think positive.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Are you sure it's leaking and not burning the oil?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

It is definitely leaking, not burning. I didn’t notice it at first because I park over the spot that is stained from my long term steering fluid leak, but a few weeks ago I realized there was a wet spot and even today after my morning medical appointment I checked under Reva where I’d parked on the street and there was a spot. It’s sadly a steady and not unsubstantial leak. *sigh* She is running great otherwise so this sucks ass. Taking her in next week got postponed this week because something came up. I am not driving her a lot at present, temporarily unemployed as my most recent hospice patient died a couple of weeks ago. Fingers crossed my mechanic can work some magic and it’s a fixable/tolerable leak.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

IMG_1766.jpeg
The day the music died.

On the way to work this morning, total loss of power and both check engine and oil lights came on. I coasted into a parking lot front of a local business and called AAA to take her to the shop.

I feel quite sure this is the engine - she’s been burning oil for a while and recently making some funny noises - was planning to take her in for a look see, that’s happening now. (After I posted about the oil leak last year, I took her in and they changed the oil and otherwise didn't note any significant issues.)

213000 miles. 18 years together. I seriously cried like a baby after the tow guy hauled her away.

It would be dumb to put a new engine in a 25 year old vehicle, right?
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 12:28 pm
It would be dumb to put a new engine in a 25 year old vehicle, right?
It *would* be foolish to put in a brand-new engine, but perhaps you can find a usable one in a junker at a salvage yard that will let you get a few more years out of your baby – especially if you know an independent mechanic who can do the swap for you and doesn't charge standard labor rates.  That's what I did back in the '90s when the 225 Slant Six in my Plymouth van went to hell.  Only cost me about a grand (granted, that was over thirty years ago), and that included the labor to put it in.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

The research I’ve done thus far online suggests I am looking at around $2k for an engine and labor.

I’m waiting to talk to my mechanic of the last few years who I have some confidence in, and who seems to charge reasonable rates comparative to other places I’ve been - and what folks say on the community review pages. He’s been straight with me about her overall condition and I’ll want his honest assessment of other systems before making the investment.

Used cars are so expensive! If her body is still looking good (no rust) and considering all I just put into the undercarriage right before the pandemic, it would be worth it to do the $2k if I get another couple years out of her. I guess I’d be a little worried about the transmission going next but I have had zero (knock wood) issues with the transmission, ever.
~ Carl Sagan

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

I tend to agree BSG. If you have a bill of around 2K to get that car back on the road and reliable, ask yourself if you can put that 2K into a replacement that is reasonably comparable. The 2K may be well spent on that Rav and start filing away your nickels for a future complete replacement.

Either way, don't junk it. You could probably put it out on the market for "2K OBO needs engine" and you'll get some offers (crackpot ones for sure).

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

This is a sad day indeed. Please give her an engine transplant. I have listened to too many sad stories about 'the car I used to have, but I finally had to sell it." Family is not the place to rationally calculate cost' benefit ratios. Otherwise you would be in an electric golf cart.

snailgate.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Burning Petard wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 4:08 am
Otherwise you would be in an electric golf cart.

snailgate.
Lots of people in my neck of the woods are using these things as 'get-around' vehicles for short-haul trips like to the convenience store or various watering holes.

Yet in other parts of the country they're wanting to ban the operation of so-called 'kei' vehicles from Japan and Asia, and in some cases (Rhode Island, f'rinstance) they're even trying to rescind the already-issued registrations of these vehicles.   Go figure.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

BB, that sure looks like a WAWA store. They started in the Phily area and have grown while 7-11 seems to be dying. I did not know they were in your area. Yes, that is a very attractive golf cart. Like the many SUVs and Pickups that I see on the streets that never engage in a supra or carry more than groceries,, I suspect that one never sees a golf course. Ant that is ok. It does look like fun.

snailgate.

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

That is, in fact, a WAWA store ... and you're correct, they're not in my neighborhood — at least, not yet.   Neither, for that matter, are 7-Elevenses or Kroger stores (although there are a couple of small chains — Pick 'n Save and Roundy's — that are Kroger subsidiaries).   I just did a quick search on the 'net for a suitable illustration of what is running up and down various state and county highways and town roads around here.
-"BB"-

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Reva is dead and going to salvage - I have to stop by the shop later today and clear out all the doo dads and take my plates and kiss her goodbye.

She needed a new engine and a timing belt and potentially other things once they started taking her apart and seeing what's what. The known repairs would exceed $5k and that would be a foolish amount to invest in a 25 year old vehicle especially since while she was classic to me, she was not in classic car condition but really beat to shit - like her owner, lol.

I'm quite sad and did my fair share of crying. We've been all over creation together and in her somewhere are hairs of all my dogs.

I'm trying to think about it just like when I've lost dogs in the past. It is sad and I will always miss her and our times together, but somewhere out there is another jalopy in waiting to be my road warrior.

Reva is dead; long live Reva!
~ Carl Sagan

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

I'm sorry your beloved Reva is going to the salvage yard. Be of good cheer that, from the photos you've shared, many parts of her will live on via the used part resale industry. They simply don't make those panels anymore and someone will buy parts or the thing whole for fixing up a wrecked one with a good engine.

The good news is that you can go get another Rav4 now. My brother is on her third or fourth. He gets them, usually right at the beginning of a major life event which causes him to drive a ton, then trades them in on a new one. But he's done well for himself and could probably buy one for cash if he wanted to.

If a Rav4 is not in the cards for you, I've been very happy with my Mazda CX-5. Mid 20's fuel mileage and in the snowy PA winters, I've never gotten stuck.