EGR Vacuum Modulator

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
BoSoxGal

Re: EGR Vacuum Modulator

Post by BoSoxGal »

I found this webpage all about it, and how to check for the repair - though I’d let my mechanic do that for me.

http://www.licmotorsports.com/blog/2014 ... sue?page=4
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

If it hasn't been done...the car is basically worth scrap value. The repair is probably as much as it is worth. (I recall $2000+)

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Yeah, @ $2000. The car is valued over $5k, and if it’s as low mileage as I believe, it would probably be worth $7k to me because of the number of years I could get out of it - I only put @ 8-10k miles/year on a vehicle.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

BoSoxGal wrote:Yeah, @ $2000. The car is valued over $5k, and if it’s as low mileage as I believe, it would probably be worth $7k to me because of the number of years I could get out of it - I only put @ 8-10k miles/year on a vehicle.
Check the underside...Subaru rustproofing is nothing impressive.

You could probably get just as much out of your RAV...it only has 150,000 miles. (Coincidentally, my car will turn 150K in the next couple weeks.)

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Yeah, I’m not as keen as I was before finding out about the gasket. But Reva has 182k on her, and needs another O2 sensor, the catalytic converter pipe and front pipe of the exhaust system - totaling close to $1k including installation. Added to everything else I’ve done the past few months, that’ll be close to $3k I’ll have put into her.
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

EGR Vacuum Modulator

Post by RayThom »

Jarlaxle wrote:If it hasn't been done...the car is basically worth scrap value. The repair is probably as much as it is worth. (I recall $2000+)
That's great advice.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18113&start=100#p249792
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

BoSoxGal wrote:Yeah, I’m not as keen as I was before finding out about the gasket. But Reva has 182k on her, and needs another O2 sensor, the catalytic converter pipe and front pipe of the exhaust system - totaling close to $1k including installation. Added to everything else I’ve done the past few months, that’ll be close to $3k I’ll have put into her.
Gimme a few hours to get home- I can get better prices than that!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

So I finally got to talk to my client’s daughter and I gather the Subaru needs a differential repair that they were told would run $2k. I didn’t even ask how many miles or if it has the bad gasket. I’m going to talk to my mechanic and ask him how much it would cost if he did it, but not until I check on the model (to see whether it has the gasket problem too) and the mileage, plus what they’d be asking to sell it.
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

EGR Vacuum Modulator

Post by RayThom »

If it's not a turbo it very well could be a crap shoot.

Try to explain this to the family and maybe they'll go "rock bottom" on the price. Good luck.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Jarlaxle wrote:
BoSoxGal wrote:Yeah, I’m not as keen as I was before finding out about the gasket. But Reva has 182k on her, and needs another O2 sensor, the catalytic converter pipe and front pipe of the exhaust system - totaling close to $1k including installation. Added to everything else I’ve done the past few months, that’ll be close to $3k I’ll have put into her.
Gimme a few hours to get home- I can get better prices than that!
Yeah, figured I could.

Which O2 sensor does your RAV need, front or rear? Either way, it is about thirty bucks if Federal, more for Cali. Head pipe is ALSO about fifty bucks, midpipe is $45-ish if you need one. Cat-con is $150-175, depending on emissions (Federal or California). Should be able to get everything for three bills including shipping, with change left over to get me a steak dinner. :mrgreen:

Is it a 2-door or 4-door?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

4-door, needs the rear O2 sensor, doesn’t need the midpipe (I just replaced that, and the front O2 sensor a couple months back).

Where are you finding these parts, and who is the manufacturer?

($30 for an O2 sensor sounds aftermarket, and I won’t go aftermarket on an O2 sensor - BTDT, and got the extra parts & labor bills when the shitty malfunctioning aftermarket part had to be replaced with OEM.)
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Parts are from Rock Auto. The O2 sensor is Bosch-which IS OEM for many companies. (Including, IIRC, BMW, VW, Mercedes, and Ferrari.) A Denso O2 sensor (which probably IS factory-Toyota used lots of Denso parts) is $55. Catalyst is Bosal, which is an OE manufacturer. (My Jeep had a Bosal converter, and it worked fine for at least 45,000 miles.) For $179, you can get a Walker Ultra. Again: do you have California emissions? They use a different cat, if so. Front pipe is also Walker for Federal emissions. Front pipe for Cali emissions is $80, and Ansa. (Import-mostly Euro-car exhaust brand.)

If the catalyst is bad, that might come up as a rear O2 sensor problem...and vice versa. You sure you need both?

Sirloin tips, please. :D

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’m thinking the sensor does need replacing even though the cat is bad, as it’s factory original with 182k on it. I’m on the second front O2 replacement so I think I did well to get so many miles out of the rear one.

My car is too old to require emissions testing, and I don’t see anywhere in the manual where designation is specified. I’d planned on getting the federal emissions parts.
~ Carl Sagan

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

California or Federal emissions would be specified on the emissions sticker under the hood. I would say it's somewhat unlikely it's a Cali emissions model. Newer cars get more likely as more States have adopted the California standard. It's possible, of course, as once they hit the used market they get sent all over the country.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Mine was sold brand new in Maine. It’s made in Japan I know that from the VIN. I’ll check under the hood tomorrow for that code - thanks for the heads up!
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Some states require Cali emissions-Mass and NY come to mind. Maine I'm not sure.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Maine doesn’t even test emissions, except in Cumberland County.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

But new vehicles sold in Maine (along with Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Mexico, Delaware, and Washington, along with Washington DC) must be Cali emissions.

I have no idea if that was the case in 1999, however.

Edit: looks like it was not. Near as I can tell, Maine didn't adopt CA emissions until 2005. Your RAV is probably Federal. My 2008 Magnum (sold in MA) was Cali, my 2011 Vic (sold in NH) is Federal. (Though I think the only difference is that CA cars are not flex-fuel.)

The biggest issue is simply that the Cali models use different (more-expensive) parts.

How do you know the cat is bad? Is it physically damaged?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Yes, it’s close to going like my muffler and midpipe did recently. There isn’t any rust on the underside of the vehicle except for the exhaust components - but considering this is the first time replacing any of the parts (except the muffler, I’ve replaced that at least once before) I think they’ve lasted pretty well, especially as I was not at all diligent about keeping the underside clean following crappy weather.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

So the Forester has only 26,000 miles on it. That’s like, practically brand new!

But it will need a new head gasket at some point, as it’s not a turbo. And apparently it has some major issue with the differential - I need to find out more about that.

KBB private party is from 5-9k; I’m waiting to hear from the daughter about how much they’d ask for it bearing in mind it needs $2-$4k in repairs. It could still be a very good deal for me, if they let me have it cheap. My mechanic takes payments if necessary (I’ve never needed to) so I wouldn’t have any problem getting the repairs done as needed - he also always charges less than the repairpal estimates.

More to come . . .
~ Carl Sagan