EGR Vacuum Modulator

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
Jarlaxle

Re: EGR Vacuum Modulator

Post by Jarlaxle »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:10 am
I found a few around here that look decent on the yard listing photos, but who knows how they look now.

I think after all I’m just going to fix the hole in the side of my bucket seat with some foam stuffing and an iron on patch like for clothing. The rest of the fabric in front is ok, just faded but after a vacuum and shampoo of all the pollen and dirt it will be nice enough. The back bench has fabric rips from dog claws, but I cover the bench now with a blanket so it’s not even visible most of the time.

I think it’s probably not quite right how much I’m attached to this car. *sigh* All of my dogs have ridden in Reva, including my law school dog Gus who has been gone for 17 years. Somewhere in Reva is one of his hairs, I’m sure.
Uhh...I wouldn't recommend ironing a patch on a seat. One, it probably won't work well, and two, you might melt the seat foam.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:01 am
BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:10 am
I found a few around here that look decent on the yard listing photos, but who knows how they look now.

I think after all I’m just going to fix the hole in the side of my bucket seat with some foam stuffing and an iron on patch like for clothing. The rest of the fabric in front is ok, just faded but after a vacuum and shampoo of all the pollen and dirt it will be nice enough. The back bench has fabric rips from dog claws, but I cover the bench now with a blanket so it’s not even visible most of the time.

I think it’s probably not quite right how much I’m attached to this car. *sigh* All of my dogs have ridden in Reva, including my law school dog Gus who has been gone for 17 years. Somewhere in Reva is one of his hairs, I’m sure.
Uhh...I wouldn't recommend ironing a patch on a seat. One, it probably won't work well, and two, you might melt the seat foam.
There are some that have adhesive which strengthens with heat but adheres initially without. I think that adhesion might be enough because it won’t get laundered like clothing would. I could also hand stitch the edging of the patch to the seat.

Last resort would be a seat cover but I’m not partial to the ones that stretch over the headrest etc. I wish they had covers just for the bottom part of the bucket seat.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

I've seen some, but paid little attention. Maybe try an upholstery shop?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

It’s finally happened - Reva has sprung an oil leak. Calling tomorrow to get her in for a diagnosis. What’s the least bad/expensive thing it could be? I really wanted another year, or two.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

It could be as simple and cheap to fix as a loose oil plug or oil filter. Did she lose a lot of oil at one time or is it just leaving drops on the ground? I'm assuming you've checked the dipstick. If it lost a lot of oil at once, that's obviously a more potentially expensive problem and you shouldn't drive it to a shop. I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know.

Of course, I'm assuming you're talking about and are sure that it's engine oil.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Old-tyme red-neck, anti-tree-hugger question: Is the dip stick showing you need add to more than one qt of oil a month? If not, just keep pouring it in, and park it on gravel or something non-asphalt. And carry a couple of cans in the trunk.

Digression question: is this the longest and/or longest running car-fixer thread?

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’m sure it’s the longest running car fixer thread here, but maybe not on the whole interwebs. Reva is 24 this year, so she is either ready for the junkyard or just getting broken in, depending on one’s perspective. Luckily I’m fond of her, which makes it easier to accept that I can’t really afford to get rid of her yet.

I have certainly had vehicles in the past that burned oil on the regular, and even now I carry all the fluids around in a caddy in the back because you never know when you’ll need them. I don’t mind feeding Reva a quart a month if that’s all it takes - there is already a big stain where I park from when my rack and pinion was leaking and our driveway is so messed up it’s no big deal to add a little more.

Going on Wednesday, hopefully he’ll tell me that she’s good to keep running with just regular top offs on oil. I mean, she sounds fine and is performing fine so why not? I will try to think positive.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Are you sure it's leaking and not burning the oil?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

It is definitely leaking, not burning. I didn’t notice it at first because I park over the spot that is stained from my long term steering fluid leak, but a few weeks ago I realized there was a wet spot and even today after my morning medical appointment I checked under Reva where I’d parked on the street and there was a spot. It’s sadly a steady and not unsubstantial leak. *sigh* She is running great otherwise so this sucks ass. Taking her in next week got postponed this week because something came up. I am not driving her a lot at present, temporarily unemployed as my most recent hospice patient died a couple of weeks ago. Fingers crossed my mechanic can work some magic and it’s a fixable/tolerable leak.
~ Carl Sagan