EGR Vacuum Modulator

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
Crackpot

Re: EGR Vacuum Modulator

Post by Crackpot »

Unless there is a wire harness coming out of latch cover WD40 shouldn’t hurt anything. I wouldn’t think it would hurt regardless but I am unsure of the competitions construction methods.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

RayThom

EGR Vacuum Modulator

Post by RayThom »

BoSoxGal wrote:It’s the part that the seatbelt plugs into, that has a button you push to release the seatbelt. According to what I found online that’s the formal name for it. :shrug Anyway, sometimes the button sticks down in and has to be fiddled with to get it to pop up, and sometimes when I put the belt buckle in it’s very hard to get it to grab and catch.
Make sense?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I'd like to protest this extreme topic drift. We had a perfectly decent thread about EGR Vacuum Modulators which sane people could ignore. Now we have discussion about possibly useful car stuff and one is forced to read it a bit just to make sure.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

OK, Gen''l. How 'bout a drift toward something you seem to have an affinity for--box graters.

I don't like them. Too hard to clean the inside without cuts and scapes on the back of my hand. And the exemplars I have used seem to be constructed of weak sheet metal that bends too easily if I am trying to grates something hard, like raw carrots or some hard cheeses.

snailgate

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

:lol: :lol:
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

RayThom

EGR Vacuum Modulator

Post by RayThom »

Clogged graters?

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I recommend an electric cheese grater. Although, like an electric knife, it's useless during power failures.

RayThom

EGR Vacuum Modulator

Post by RayThom »

Grate-A humor, that.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Oh cheez whiz :roll: :lol:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:49 am
Now you've got me wondering.  That '99 Corolla I bought a couple months back does in fact have DRLs, and the dashboard lights (now that I've gotten them fixed) come on when the key is turned.  I'll have to do a walk-around some time in the daytime and see just what else comes on when I turn the key versus what comes on when I turn the switch on the stalk.

Also, does anybody know a way to manually override the DRLs?  Parking with the motor running (so the heater keeps working), the radio playing, and headlights on is a sure-fire way to become the most hated person at Inspiration Point.
-"BB"-
Sometimes, DRLs shut off in park. More often, they shut off if you set the parking brake.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:18 pm
How's Reva doing, BSG?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:44 pm
BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:18 pm
How's Reva doing, BSG?
Reva is still rockin’ and rollin’! She just turned over 200,000 miles a couple of weeks ago, at approximately 22 years of age (she’s a ‘99).

Knock wood (shhhhhh!), everything is working well in recent months, though I do need to take her for an oil change soon and a lookover.

I had been having that electrical thing where dash stuff from the odometer to the wipers/blinkers to the gear shift won’t operate when I first start the car, but it all kicks in within a couple of minutes and I’m good to go. I was wondering if it was loose wires or what, but over the last several months I’ve concluded it is the ignition cylinder because I can get it to kick in by turning the key several times before actually engaging the engine. I just turn it back and forth until the odometer clicks in, then I start the purring kitten of Reva's 4 cylinder heart.

So, apparently all those pesky mansplainers who nagged me about my collection of keychain bits and bobs over the years (‘you’ll mess up your ignition switch with all that weight, missy!’) were right after all! It took 16 years, but I did indeed mess up my ignition switch! I enjoyed the bits and bobs along the way, though. Maybe worth the repair price.

Also have a window off the track in the back driver’s side door; it’s the primary dog window so I’m not surprised it wore out soonest. The motor appears to still function so I hope it just needs to be re-set and sealed in the track.

The check engine light still spends a lot of time on between cycles, but it’s the same code - one of my O2 sensors doesn’t sit perfectly because of some bad mechanic work in the past, so it trips the computer even though it’s actually pretty tip top - I’m averaging 22-23mpg, which based on my 80% city driving means she is currently running very efficiently re: emissions.

I still love her SO much, but at this point I would trade up in a heartbeat if I won the lottery. I would like newer seats and some shinier gadgets on the dash. Things being as they are (I almost never remember to buy a lottery ticket), I am saving diligently toward a used Prius which will be my next car. Maybe in a couple of years; sooner only if something very bad happens to Reva.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

My brother is on his third (or maybe fourth) Rav4. He's definitely a lifer. His latest one is the hybrid version. I feel like he's trying to recruit me into a cult each time we ride in it. Of course, when it comes time to go haul something, my Ranger is the thing he wants :)

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

FWIW, a replacement ignition switch is $43, about a half hour job.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:02 pm
Is the switch and cylinder the same thing? The shop mentioned it might be the ignition cylinder.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:40 pm
Jarlaxle wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:02 pm
Is the switch and cylinder the same thing? The shop mentioned it might be the ignition cylinder.
Not exactly, though I tend to use them interchangeably. 43 bucks is the cylinder.

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

They are 2 separate parts on a '99 RAV4. The lock cylinder is the part the key goes into, and also contains the steering lock pawl. The ignition switch is attached to the back of the lock cylinder, and contains the electrical parts. Both parts are subject to wear although your symptom is more likely the ignition switch.

On some cars, the 2 parts are made into a single unit. And many modern cars have done away with physical keys altogether.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

datsunaholic wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:57 pm
They are 2 separate parts on a '99 RAV4. The lock cylinder is the part the key goes into, and also contains the steering lock pawl. The ignition switch is attached to the back of the lock cylinder, and contains the electrical parts. Both parts are subject to wear although your symptom is more likely the ignition switch.

On some cars, the 2 parts are made into a single unit. And many modern cars have done away with physical keys altogether.
Does it make sense for me to order the full assembly from my discount authentic Toyota parts source and just ask the shop to install both? If the parts aren’t very pricey, it seems like that’s likely to cure the issue whether switch or cylinder, and save me labor should they diagnose it wrongly between the two.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:59 pm
datsunaholic wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:57 pm

Does it make sense for me to order the full assembly from my discount authentic Toyota parts source and just ask the shop to install both? If the parts aren’t very pricey, it seems like that’s likely to cure the issue whether switch or cylinder, and save me labor should they diagnose it wrongly between the two.
But on second thought it must be the switch since it’s the electrics that are wonky.

However it still seems sensible to replace both since the cylinder is also 22 years on and could get wonky next?
~ Carl Sagan

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

I would just replace the switch, as the cylinder would have to be taken to a locksmith to be keyed to your key (unless you don't mind having to carry separate door and ignition keys). On the flip side the labor to replace both would cost the same (other than the re-keying process) since both have to be removed/replaced to install either.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.