EGR Vacuum Modulator

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
Big RR

Re: EGR Vacuum Modulator

Post by Big RR »

Joe Guy wrote:I'm surprised that nobody else suggests doing what the maintenance manual says to do. Do people think there is some kind of conspiracy among the auto manufacturers to push unneeded maintenance?
Given that new auto dealers make a pretty good profit on maintenance, and that people bring their cars in to the dealer at least while under warranty (I know it's not required, but it avoids problems if there are warranty problems), I would think, at the very least, that the manufacturers err on the side of maintenance on a shorter schedule than necessary. I don't think they would do something that could harm the engine (after all, that could lead to warranty repairs), but bringing a customer in a little bit more often will result in higher profits across the board.

RayThom

EGR Vacuum Modulator

Post by RayThom »

Big RR wrote:... Given that new auto dealers make a pretty good profit on maintenance, and that people bring their cars in to the dealer at least while under warranty (I know it's not required, but it avoids problems if there are warranty problems), I would think, at the very least, that the manufacturers err on the side of maintenance on a shorter schedule than necessary. I don't think they would do something that could harm the engine (after all, that could lead to warranty repairs), but bringing a customer in a little bit more often will result in higher profits across the board.
Case in point. My '10 KIA Forte EX manual states an oil change every 7,500 miles. When I get it changed at the dealer they slap on a windshield sticker telling me my next change should be scheduled in 3,000 miles.

Old habits die hard. I suppose.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

The dealers always want you to do maintenance more often than necessary. They don't go by the car's maintenance manual.

My thought is that it's better to go by the manual than it is to experiment and have your oil analyzed and attempt to prove the manual wrong. Maintenance manual based oil changes are cheap insurance. Extra cheap if you do them yourself.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Joe Guy wrote: Extra cheap if you do them yourself.
That would be penny-wise and pound foolish in my case. :)

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I did a few oil changes on my first car back in the day, but for many years I lived in housing where DIY oil changes on the property either weren’t feasible or were specifically prohibited in the rental agreement - so I got out of the habit. Proper disposal is a PITA and for a long time I got discount oil changes and free tire rotation from the place in Montana where I bought my tires. Now, with a good mechanic who charges $15 (BYOO&F), I’m good to pay and give him a regular opportunity to have my vehicle on the lift to spot any issues or whether any rust has emerged (as of yet, Reva has none - benefit of living out West for a decade).

My GAJ shocks are arriving tomorrow and I’m excited to ride around on them! Hopefully installation will be Thursday.

Turns out Reva also needs the catalytic converter pipe and the front pipe replaced, along with a new bank 2 sensor - but it’s not dire yet and I’m going to wait on that a little while.

I’m SO loving the ZOOM she’s got on now; Reva’s got her groove back!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

BoSoxGal wrote:Roof rack, no - I called, they said they could get it for me, they explained how there would be a charge from them and a separate charge from the part supplier. It's been 3 weeks and they're not located the part - but they've charged me $50 for the same 'looking around the country at various parts dealers to no avail' that I've been doing periodically for the past 10 years myself. I called them last week to check on status, the guy said don't worry, we'll get you that part - then he asked if I needed cross bars. I told him, the cross bars - plus the feet - ARE the roof rack for a 1999 RAV4, there were no roof rails then. He was adamant they'd find me the part, but I'm planning to call back next week and ask for a refund of my $50.

After I'd talked to them I did another search myself and found one of the parts dealers they'd contacted (I didn't realize that at the time). It's a salvage yard in Port Murray, NJ - they have the rack, but don't want to ship it, too big too much of a pain in the ass. The guy told me he'd sell it to me for $100 if I picked it up, which wouldn't be a big deal if I combined it with a visit to the family in NY. The guy was supposed to call me back after going out to check the vehicle to determine it's really there and in saleable condition; I haven't heard back but I'm guessing he's busy and I didn't want to push it until I'd figured out when I might get over there.

You don't by chance drive that far on deliveries? :shrug
Sadly, no, I stay local. Though...if I make the trip to the Intrepid I'm considering this year, I might be able to get to Jersey.
For the moment I've purchased a simple foam blocks & bumper-to-boat tie down system for my kayak, which the 'local' kayak shop owner who is my new bestie tells me she's used lots of times over the years with fine results. I'm only going at most as far as the outer Cape, and I can avoid highway driving if I need to. The roof of my RAV hasn't got a single bit of clear coat left, so it's not like I'm worried about the paint finish - it's securing the boat properly that is my concern, for the boat's sake but also for other people on the road. The kayak shop owner told me a story about a local guy she knew who was killed a few years ago when he was biking on the side of the road and a vehicle going by lost a kayak off the roof - it struck him and bashed his head in.

I was thinking at the same price the OE shocks would be better, but it hadn't occurred to me that they might have been manufactured that long ago. But, wouldn't that be the same for the KYB, if it's for a vehicle model that is 18 years old?
Probably not...if for no other reason than KYB wouldn't be selling them in any great numbers until the vehicles were at least a few years old. (Note: I have no idea if later RAV4s used the same shocks-they certainly might.) I am not all that impressed by most OE shocks, which tend to be strictly low-bidder stuff. The most-egregious I ever saw was some Ford trucks: ordering a certain "off-road" package got, among other things, what were supposedly Bilstein shocks. Well, no. It got you Motorcraft shocks...with a Bilstein sticker.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Installation of new shocks was delayed a week because the shop was too busy late last week and then I ended up working 4 days in a row this week with my little old lady (I love her but couldn’t wait to get home!) because a caregiver quit; anyway I got them installed yesterday and OMFG! they are fantastic! Thanks so much for recommending them Jarl, my Reva has never ridden so terrific before, excellent handling and it’s so great that I don’t have to listen to rattling over every bump anymore. I’m very excited for my next trip into Boston, if you can believe that!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Rock Auto also has exhaust systems.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I actually ended up buying through Amazon because it was cheaper even with the discount code applied at Rock Auto - and it delivered faster, although that didn’t end up mattering because they couldn’t fit me in last week.

Last thing Reva needs (not yet imminent) is the catalytic section and front section of muffler pipe replaced, plus the back O2 sensor. I’ve priced the parts out everywhere and it looks like I’ll be getting the sensor and front pipe from my discount Toyota parts dealer - a dealership in Austin - and the catalytic from Amazon, a Walker aftermarket, because the Toyota part is almost a grand and the car won’t last long enough to be worth that investment.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Check Summit Racing. A complete aftermarket system is frequently cheaper than even one factory component. (It was half as much on my Jeep.)

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

After all this work to make Reva almost new again, an opportunity has arisen to replace her: my elderly client has a 2005 Subaru Forester wagon (with roof rails) in pristine, always garaged condition and low miles. I haven’t driven it yet, but I’m guessing it’s a nicer ride than Reva just because RAVs are notoriously stiff and have plentiful road noise, too.

I’ve never owned a Subaru, but I’ve heard they are similarly reliable as Toyotas - is this true? I’ve also heard they are more expensive to fix - is that true?

Pros are a much nicer looking vehicle, with a rack for my yak and much lower so easier to get it up there. Same amount of seating and cargo space, but the seats look more comfy.

Cons are probably higher insurance and registration fees, plus it would lack the 150,000 miles of memories. And of course, I have to shell out @ $5k (I’m guessing, we haven’t talked price yet) to the buy it - but it would be interest free terms.

What to do?
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

we like our Outback Subaru’s seem to hold thier resale value. Don’t know about repairs tho.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Crackpot wrote:we like our Outback Subaru’s seem to hold thier resale value. Don’t know about repairs tho.
Because it’s never broken? How many miles have you had it?
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Not many the first had about 15,000 before it was totaled (wife was rear ended by a commercial dump truck) Don’t think the new one has that many miles yet. They have a reputation for being durable tho.
Gob had one for over a decade.IIRC
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

RayThom

EGR Vacuum Modulator

Post by RayThom »

Subarus are quite reliable and comfortable. Before buying my KIA Forte I was looking at the Subaru Impreza sedan but it turned out to be even more expensive than the Honda Civic which I also liked.

A '05 Forester for $5k sounds reasonable and would probably be less costly than Reva in the long run. Be aware that there has been a higher rate than normal head gasket failure on engines in that '05 era. (A $2k repair -- give or take.) Maybe the car you're looking at has had a gasket replacement. If so, it's probably a good buy. If not, be sure to have the engine compression tested before making a deal.

Regardless, keep in mind the law of diminishing returns. It's unavoidable the older a car gets.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

BoSoxGal wrote:After all this work to make Reva almost new again, an opportunity has arisen to replace her: my elderly client has a 2005 Subaru Forester wagon (with roof rails) in pristine, always garaged condition and low miles. I haven’t driven it yet, but I’m guessing it’s a nicer ride than Reva just because RAVs are notoriously stiff and have plentiful road noise, too.
You're the lawyer, BSG: and you can tell me to fuck off if you like. But I'd suggest you proceed with caution. If she has some heirs with dollar signs for eyeballs (sadly a not uncommon species these days) they might suggest that you wormed your way into your client's affections in order to get that wonderful rare Forester in immaculate condition for a knockdown price by using your lawyerly wiles.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Some older Sube engines were known to eat their timing belts. Don't know enuff to say this problem was gone by 2005.

snailgate

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Some Subarus of that era had head gasket and bottom end problems. I do not know if the Forrester was one of them.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I did some research today and learned about the gasket issue, so I’d need to check on whether it’s a turbo - they didn’t have the bad gasket - or whether the repair has been done already.

There’s no concern as far as heirs go; my client’s daughter is also a lawyer, as is her husband. They’d not allow anything underhanded - but then, neither would my personal moral code.

But in any case, my client is worth millions - so a 12 year old Forester is hardly of any real interest to her grandkids.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

The gaskets require engine removal.