BMW i3

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
Burning Petard

BMW i3

Post by Burning Petard »

https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/bmwi/i3.html

This is the link to the official web page. The pictures do not come close to doing it visual justice. I just saw one on the road, traveled beside it for about one mile.

It is major UGLY ! It is not even bad enuff to be cute.

snailgate.

(edited for spelling, to clarify the 'on on")
Last edited by Burning Petard on Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MGMcAnick

Re: BMW i3

Post by MGMcAnick »

If you don't like that four wheeled electric BMW, try this one. https://www.cycleworld.com/2015/11/15/b ... motorcycle

I met a guy who was in charge of USA marketing for the Nissan Juke, to date ugliest car, with the stupidest name. He admitted that it was not an easy car to market. He drives a Volvo. I think the BMW i3 runs the Juke a close second.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

The two tone paint does not work on that vehicle
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Thanks MG. BMW must be trying to expand their market. That is the first big bike I have seen with training wheels. On the other hand, several years ago My employer seen me to Barcelona and I saw there several examples of a BMW two-wheeler that was exempt from local helmet laws, because it had a full roll-over cage. It had a huge windshield and could be covered with clear plastic and thus suitable for the most staid business executive to operate without mussing his attire.

It was identified there as the "Montana" model, never distributed in the USofA. I frequently ponder just how it would have handled riding across the open highways of Montana with gusting winds.

snailgate

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I met a guy who was in charge of USA marketing for the Nissan Juke, to date ugliest car, with the stupidest name. He admitted that it was not an easy car to market. He drives a Volvo. I think the BMW i3 runs the Juke a close second.
I had never even heard of the Juke - my BIL arranged a rental through Enterprise last time I was in UK. Actually not bad and a practical size for three of us on vacation with lots of miles to do. But with a 1.6L engine a bit underpowered.

Edited to add: but of course in a country where gas is around $8 per gallon I am willing to sacrifice a little horsepower for economy.
Last edited by ex-khobar Andy on Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I'd still leave the ugliest car to the Pontiac Aztec.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

You mean the Aztek? Only the first year qualifies as ugliest after that they fixed all the glaring flaws rendering it merely unattractive.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

I actually don't think its that horrifying (and I'm probably part of the target market), and its certainly not as hideous as the Aztek.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

If the BMW i3 wasn't two tone, it would look like most hatchbacks that are on the road. The Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, Chevrolet Sonic and others are difficult to tell apart. So, if you think the i3 is ugly, it's not uniquely ugly.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

It's hard to tell how it would look without the two tone those lines can make things look different than you think. I can't tell if it's just bad paint or the paint is hiding something worse. I lean toward the latter because people should be getting paid to point this out. Then again 90% of what repaired the Azteks looks was painting the cladding body color.

dales

Post by dales »

WHAT A DOG!

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Burning Petard wrote: On the other hand, several years ago My employer seen me to Barcelona and I saw there several examples of a BMW two-wheeler that was exempt from local helmet laws, because it had a full roll-over cage. It had a huge windshield and could be covered with clear plastic and thus suitable for the most staid business executive to operate without mussing his attire.

It was identified there as the "Montana" model, never distributed in the USofA. I frequently ponder just how it would have handled riding across the open highways of Montana with gusting winds.

snailgate
I wonder what you saw in Spain. In the USA, the Montana is a lower trim variation of BMW's R1200C "Chromehead". I have a pair of their CLC version. My BIL has a Montana. The biggest visible differences are the seat, and the saddle bags. The bags are leather and smaller than the BIG plastic ones on my R1200CLCs. One has a big windshield and side crash bars, but certainly no cage.

I tried a Google search of Spanish websites for a different Montana over there, and turned nothing up.

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

dales wrote:WHAT A DOG!
Still not as ugly as the Nissan Juke.

The Pacer was supposed to have been AMC's rotary engine car. When they gave up in the Wankel, they crammed their 258 CID six into the engine bay. It made the drive train protrude back beside the passengers knees.

My Aunt Mary bought a Pacer brand new. I must admit that it handled quite well with its short wheelbase and wide track. Its MPG was not as good as it should have been, but Aunt Mary had a very bad habit of accelerating to speed, then backing off and stepping on the gas again to get back up to speed. She said she always did that. I tried to explain that the carburetor pissed an unnecessary extra teaspoon of gas into the engine every time she did it. So she got 13 MPG, five less than their claimed 18.

dales

Post by dales »

Not as ugly as the juke which post-dated it by a good 40 years!

Want more ugly from AMC?

Feast your eyes on this!

AMC sawed the ass-end off its Hornet :lol:

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

I miss my Gremlin...

Though it ran a 9.92 1/4 mile over the summer. :D

dales

Post by dales »

Right off the showroom floor, I'm sure. :lol:

yrs,
rubato

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I think this Lexus design (which I first saw on their Christmas commercial (and really thought was a joke) is giving BMW a run for its money.

sorry, use the link instead:

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/lex ... s-exterior

I'm sure some people will love it, but to me it looks like you hit the gate on the way out and it's still attached.

eta: I know they had the bigger grill for a couple of years now, but this new design seems to emphasize it with more angular features and a windswept design.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

HIDEOUS!

I'm headed for this lovely, for my next car (still a few years out, but I'm always looking and thinking): https://www.caranddriver.com/volvo/xc40

I particularly like this trim:
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké