Car quiz

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
MGMcAnick

Car quiz

Post by MGMcAnick »

In this test, you will be given pictures of several cars and asked to pick one from the multiple guesses provided. Most are really too easy. (Is it a Corvair or a Firebird?) Of course I got 100%. To make it interesting, try to give the make and model of the car before you scroll down to the possible choices. I got almost all of them right that way too.

http://standardnews.com/classic-american-cars/1/
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

RayThom

Car Quiz

Post by RayThom »

Some of these were downright insulting. However, the RS Camaro handed me my only wrong answer.

I think it's really difficult for anyone who grew up in the "muscle car" age to screw this up.

I got 23 of 24 right
Excellent! You put the pedal to the metal and aced this quiz!

Do you know what I never see when these types of quizzes pop up... one of my late, great cars, the 1967 Mercury Cougar XR7/GT. There's plenty of XR7s and plenty of GTs but NEVER an XR7/GT. (Copper/Cinnamon w/black vinyl top) Sigh!
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

datsunaholic

Re: Car quiz

Post by datsunaholic »

Difficult? Not. I mean, ONE car in the whole quiz was younger than me, and I still got all of them right. Hell, there were maybe 2 that had a chance of getting wrong.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I missed one--where there was a choice between two of the same make that I could not distinguish. Therest seemed simple--who can't tell a Corvette from a Corvair?

snailgate

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Like I said, most are too easy. How well did you do naming the make and model before seeing the possible guesses?

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

I was never much into muscle cars (or, truth be told, much of a gearhead at all) but I still got 22/24; I missed one of the Camaros (when there were two to choose from) and, stupidly, the Dodge Dart (DOH!...I blame the angle from which the photo was taken...yeah...that's my story and I'm stickin' to it...)

I got almost all the make/models (including every 'Vette, Ford and Pontiac) without looking at the possible multiple choices but I was not very good remembering the model years—generally ± 2 or 3 years (which is pretty bad considering they were almost all from the '60s). (Then again, there are plenty of other things from the '60s that I don't remember very well...)
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

RayThom

Car Quiz

Post by RayThom »

Ah, ha! I found what I think may be the only photo of the exact same '67 XR7/GT Cougar that I owned. Tires and all. (Same type of right, front, fender damage, too.) It's in Sweden.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I missed 2, but also had a question--wasn't the 1962 Chevrolet Nova called the Chevy II and not Nova. I know my 1964 was.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

According to Wikipedia, "Nova" was always with the Chevy II from the beginning, as the top-of-the-line version. What I remember about the car is that is had a high roll center and center of gravity. My future wife managed to roll hers and bounce off both side guard rails on the beltway around Kansas City--and walk away from it, in the era before airbags, I don't think it even had a telescoping steering column. The 4 banger was also a great engine for sleeper design--almost every Corvette engine hop-up part would bolt on to the Chevy II basic engine.

snailgate.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

I thought of the same question, and looked it up: according to Wikipedia, "Nova was the top model in the Chevy II lineup through 1968. The Chevy II nameplate was dropped, Nova becoming the nameplate for the 1969 through 1979 models."

So it's iffy, but could be technically correct. (Or possibly technically incorrect. ;) )
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

That makes sense, mine was a fairly standard 4 door with a 6 under 200 cu in) and an automatic. There was plenty of room under the hood for an 8, which I imagine was in their top of the line.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Pretty sure the Chevy II was briefly available in a factory dragster version with a 409.

snailgate

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

This Wikipedia article http://www.superchevy.com/features/sucp ... scle-cars/#/ contains this excerpt about 409 CID Chevy IIs:

Chevy II FX V-8 Kits
This story is mainly about rare performance engines, but the following data is applicable. A lot of Chevy high-performance engineers wanted to see a V-8 offered in the new '62 Chevy II, but it was not to be until 1964. No matter. They pressed on and engineered a kit so any owner or dealership could do a V-8 swap, either a small-block or big-block 409. They presented all the data to the NHRA for competition in A/FX, B/FX, and C/FX (Factory Experimental). Some racers campaigned a two-door Chevy II, some a four-door, and others a station wagon. (A wagon sounds like fun.) We have seen 283, 327, and 409 engines in Chevy IIs.

Not much more was said/stated/announced by the factory. New car RPO sales were much more profitable, and the working press and media seemed to like the big car drag wars more than Chevy IIs, Falcons, and Tempests. Some of these FX cars are still around today. We have the complete factory FX list of part numbers, but space does not allow us to print it here.

By the end of the year, these "FX" Chevy IIs mostly ran in the high 11s. So did Don Gist's legal '62 fuel-injected A/SP Corvette (he was a Florida winter-home neighbor of Harley Earl) and most of the Z-11-equipped 409 big cars.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Burning Petard wrote:Pretty sure the Chevy II was briefly available in a factory dragster version with a 409.

snailgate
Never from the factory...hottest engine was the 350HP 327 Corvette motor. (And an early Nova was a 2600lb flyweight...no heavier than a Corvette.)