Take a look at your power poles

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
MGMcAnick

Take a look at your power poles

Post by MGMcAnick »

Thursday morning I noticed that the line leading from the electric pole to my shop building was sagging low enough that I could have reached up to touch it. The tall wood pole out front appeared to be leaning more than most of the others up and down the highway. I called the electric company. A guy in a bucket truck arrived a few minutes later. He dug around the base of the pole and said that it should be replaced ASAP. He defined ASAP as two to six weeks. The wind decided that ASAP needed to be about 5:03 that afternoon. The pole snapped about 18" below ground. It took out the next pole to the north too, and brought wires down onto my property and those on either side. There does not appear to be any major damage, but I have not had a look in the broad daylight yet. Guess I need to get my morning started.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Long Run

Re: Take a look at your power poles

Post by Long Run »

Yikes, hope things are back and running for you pretty soon. I'm afraid to think what Gob would make of the title of this thread, though. 8-)

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

I remember when they replaced the poles near my old house. Fifteen years later, they look worse than the old ones.

The old ones dated to 1930.

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Jarlaxle wrote:The old ones dated to 1930.
There was a metal tag on the pole nearest me with AB1951 stamped into it. I assume that means it was my age.

I heard they finished up about 5:00 AM.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Long Run wrote:Yikes, hope things are back and running for you pretty soon. I'm afraid to think what Gob would make of the title of this thread, though. 8-)
Oh that's hard, I'll need to take it in hand....
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Last summer the power people came by and dug around the bottom of the pole that is right on my property line. They determined replacement ASAP and the usual meaning of ASAP. They replaced it and moved the power wires pretty quickly (about 6 weeks). Now both pole are there, the new one has the power lines and the old one has the telephone and cable lines on it. If the old one goes down, it will take the new one with it (or at least it will take down the power lines on the new pole).

Response to calls to the power company say they did their part. Calls ot telephone and cable company say they know of no new pole at that location.

I think having the pole snap might be better as at least all parties involved will get together and do it at the same time.