Where's my flying car?

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Where's my flying car?

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Back in the '60s and '70s, we were told that "...in the future there will be no traffic jams because we'll have flying cars by then."

Well, it's the future, and we have .... Tide Pods.

— and we actually have to tell people not to eat them.
:shrug :roll:
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

ex-khobar Andy

Re: Where's my flying car?

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

After Trump aced the Montreal Cognitive Test, I saw a comment from a doctor somewhere that the purpose of the test was to make sure that your patient was fit to live alone and not "start eating Tide." I didn't realize it was an actual thing.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Those Tide and other pods (washing machine and dishwasher) should be banned, simply on grounds of economics, let alone the environmental impact of the extra energy used in manufacturing of the dissolving container.

Anyone who uses them is, in my vastly superior opinion, a lazy doofus. It's far cheaper to buy a nice box of the soapy powder and use it for months than a box of these things which don't last nearly as long. The makers have found a way to force the consumer to use too much of a more expensive choice. Clever, really.

And BB, your flying car is a puppet

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Have you never noticed that the scoops cups etc. for detergent are way oversized?
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

RayThom

Where's my flying car?

Post by RayThom »

Bicycle Bill wrote:... — and we actually have to tell people not to eat them.
Yuk! They taste terrible, and give me heartburn.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Crackpot wrote:Have you never noticed that the scoops cups etc. for detergent are way oversized?
Yes you really don't need that much for a tasty treat. Too much and you start frothing at the mouth. Both ends.

Which leads me to a random thought. The mouth of a river is at the end which discharges to the sea. Why isn't it called the anus of the river? Or alternatively . . . .

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

The only time I'd use Tide pods or any other podded laundry detergent is when I'm on a road trip. I'd rather not carry around a Costco-sized container of detergent for doing my laundry on the road, and I'm not gonna pay $5 a load for the detergent at a laundromat vending machine. However, I still have several packets of Tide powder I'd gotten in 2001 before deploying to Egypt (I got a 12 pack since it could be packed in my duffel bag). One or 2 packets still reside in my luggage. Last time I used one was in 2014, somewhere near Albany NY.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Crackpot wrote:Have you never noticed that the scoops cups etc. for detergent are way oversized?
Oversoaping is what keeps the detergent industry in business - and because soap residue makes clothes dingy & stiff, it’s an endless cycle as folks buy more and more detergent and softener and keep getting poor results.

A couple of tablespoons of unscented detergent is all you need in even the largest load. Add 1/2 to 1 cup vinegar to the wash to deodorize and to the liquid softener dispenser to soften. 1/2-1 cup washing soda in the wash (Arm & Hammer or Borax) to boost detergent effectiveness.

Nothing added in the dryer but wool balls.

Soft, truly clean nontoxic laundry is the result.

Scented detergents and softeners are not only allergy and asthma triggers, they are also believed to be carcinogenic. If you need scented laundry, a drop or two of essential oil on a cloth or in the wool balls will scent the whole load.

Not sure if you’re oversoaping? Soak an item of clothing or a towel in a large bowl/bucket of water for a few hours or overnight. You’ll see the results if you’re oversoaping - properly washed textiles should leave no residue in the water.

Typical detergent manufacturer guidelines are a massive scam.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

BoSoxGal wrote:... Oversoaping is what keeps the detergent industry in business...
Same for overtoothpasting. All you need is about a 1/2" dab on your brush.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

RayThom wrote:
BoSoxGal wrote:... Oversoaping is what keeps the detergent industry in business...
And the same with shampoo makers.  Want to sell twice as much shampoo?  Just add three little words on the label — "rinse and repeat".
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

RayThom wrote:
My dentists have actually all said only a pearl of toothpaste is necessary - because it’s the brushing that really cleans the teeth, not the paste.

I buy Tom’s of Maine, which is a bit pricey - but I can’t stand sugary sweet toothpastes anymore so it’s worth it. Despite brushing 3+ times per day (habit leftover from the days of braces) I only go through 2-3 tubes per year. Just a pearl is all you need!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

BoSoxGal wrote: Just a pearl is all you need!
Grand Ole Wisdom

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

HOW MUCH TOOTHPASTE SHOULD YOU BE USING?
Posted on January 28, 2013
in Blog
toothpaste
~ Harris Dental

As little as we think about it, toothpaste is an essential item that we use every day. Everyone knows that they are supposed to brush their teeth at least twice a day, and it’s surprisingly very common to run out of toothpaste more quickly than it seems they should. A good question is “How much toothpaste should I be using?” The amount is simple for adults, but how much toothpaste should parents be using to clean their young children’s teeth?

ADULTS
Most adults tend to think that it is necessary to cover the entire brushing surface of a toothbrush because of the way toothpaste is advertised on television. Liberal use of toothpaste is far too much; it is only necessary for adults to use an estimated pea sized dab of toothpaste to properly clean their teeth.

YOUNG CHILDREN
The amount of toothpaste you use for your children varies by age. You should use no more than a thin streak of toothpaste to brush an infants teeth. Use half of the amount that is recommended for adults to brush your children’s teeth who are older than 5 years.

By following these guidelines, you won’t have to buy toothpaste as often as you have in the past. You will also avoid damaging your and your child’s teeth with excessive fluoridation which is common among those who use more toothpaste than needed.
Yikes! Too much toothpaste can actually damage your teeth!
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Bicycle Bill wrote:"Where's my flying car?"

Here ya go, Bill!

First person to Mars gets it! ;)
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Using too much detergent in the washer burns out the bearings, especially on front loaders as they spin very very very fast. If you see suds in the window, that's too much detergent.
Can't remember how many full rebuilds I did on front loaders. Two man job to pull the tub/basket out of them. They also have heavy cement counterweights on the tub to keep the vibrations to a minimum.