MECHANICS CORNER: Spark Plugs

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
RayThom

Post by RayThom »

I have a 2010 KIA Forte EX 2.0. After 65,000 miles I thought it was time to change the original spark plugs. Rock Auto suggested either OEM Denso Iridium or Autolite Iridium. The Autolite were somewhat cheaper so I went with them. When I checked the old with the new I see Denso has dual, opposing, "spark pins" but AL only has one pin. BTW -- the engine is running quite nicely.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between these plugs? Does one have a longer life than the other... or is it merely "cosmetic?" Thanks.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Big RR

Re: MECHANICS CORNER: Spark Plugs

Post by Big RR »

what does the owners manual specify; as I recall, some cars are specified to use double platinum or platinum/iridium plugs. I don't recall exactly what the double electrode does, but I think some cars specify their use.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Iridium lasts longer...otherwise, no major difference.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Jarl--then the double plugs are kind of a marketing gimmick? It wouldn't surprise me, but I wasn't sure.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Re: 'twin electrode plugs'....

SplitFire spark plug
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SplitFire was a company that manufactured a spark plug featuring a split ground electrode. SplitFire claimed that its "V" electrode design improved combustion by allowing the ignited flame to pass through the gap in the electrode, instead of around it.

SplitFire spark plugs were popular and heavily advertised in the early 1990s. The manufacturer also sponsored the SplitFire Spark Plug 500 NASCAR stock car race, the SplitFire 200, various other powersports, and the Pro Bowlers Association SplitFire Spark Plug Open.

In 1997, the United States Federal Trade Commission charged SplitFire with deceptive advertising. The manufacturer settled the charges with the FTC; as part of the settlement, SplitFire was prohibited from making what the FTC considered deceptive claims about fuel economy or emissions.After the settlement, the popularity of SplitFire's spark plug range declined. In 2002, it was still considered a leading sparkplug manufacturer, but by 2015, the company's products were not broadly distributed, and its official website had been removed.
There is nothing new under the sun.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

To be a bit more specific, both Denso and Autolite have a fine wire iridium center electrode. However, the Denso has a "needle tipped" platinum single (not split) ground electrode... the Autolite's single ground electrode is flat -- no needle tip.

The RA rep said performance was mostly equal so I went the cheap route with the Autolite. $12 compared with $21.

ImageImage

.............................. DENSO ..........................................................AUTOLITE ...........................
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.”