Vanlife.....

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
RayThom

Vanlife...

Post by RayThom »

Lord Jim wrote:All I'm seeing are small circles with minus signs in them, in the middle of big empty boxes...
That's what I see, too. (GB "no entry" signs.) Remember it's Gob posting so I'm guessing there's some sort of minimalist, low-concept, thought process that he trying to express.

Genius or insanity... you be the judge.

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

MG McAnick

Re: Vanlife.....

Post by MG McAnick »

Folks, keep in mind that this VW is far from the VW vans of yore. It is built on the same chassis as the Mercedes Sprinter and Dodge Sprinter vans we see in the US. It can be equipped with a diesel engine. (Is yours?) It should deliver MPG in the low to mid 20s.

Sometimes I wish I had a Mercedes or Dodge class C motor home instead of the 37' Allegro Bus (such a sexy name) that now graces my driveway. Its 7.2L turbocharged Cat engine will get 9 MPG on a good day with a tail wind.
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

I had my (Dodge-badged) '04 Sprinter for 13 years and over 420,000 miles, and it did indeed consistently get around 23 mpg (best tankful was 26 mpg, went down to ~19-20 when cruising at a steady ~75-80 mph). I bought it brand new and my initial plan was to use it for work until the loan was paid off and it was fully depreciated for tax purposes, and then convert it to a camper...but somehow (many many long long excuses) that never happened. :shrug

IIRC the VW LT and Crafter use the Sprinter body but a VW drivetrain, and I think they all have VW turbodiesel engines.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Gob

Post by Gob »

2.5ltr turbo diesel.

"Come to the UK" he said, to his Aussie wife. "We'll buy a campervan and have lots of lovely adventures. Of course the weather will be fine...."

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

And she fell for that?! Obviously she’s mad about you! :lol:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan