How robust is the tire pressure sensor gadget?

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I think they are required technology in cars for a while now. A mechanic I noticed working on a tire removed from its wheel and the lump of technology inside the wheel looked vulnerable to me if one drove for a while on a really flat tire told me replacement for one valve cost about $45. But do they really work? How much can you depend on it? I just came off renting a Nisan Versa for a 800 mile round trip between Delaware and Ohio. The instrument panel was erratically telling me to check tire pressure. The first couple of times I did. According to AAA road service and later stops at gas stations to use their compressor and gauge, it was ok or perhaps there was one time that one tire was at 28#. And sometimes the warning on the instrument panel went away when I did not do anything, and sometimes it was stayed there after I carefully filled them all.
Finally I drove from State College PA to Wilmington DE with the 'check pressure' message ignored.

I know the Versa is a dog. Some say it is intentionally designed to make any other Nissan model look good. But is this tire pressure technology generally robust and reliable?

snailgate.

Jarlaxle

Re: How robust is the tire pressure sensor gadget?

Post by Jarlaxle »

Not really. My Magnum went through 4 sensors (at $125 a whack) in 3 years. My mother's Prius lost 2 in 3 years (only 6500 miles). I personally hate the damn system with a passion.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

ny dad really likes the feature. (he switched form Ford to Chrysler for it) I just got it on The Rogue I bought last December. The pressures have seems to stay pretty constant with the driver front being a pound lower than the rest since I got it. The pressure will rise generally as you drive so some fluctuation is normal. As far as being standard not really or probably more accurate;y yes and no. A low pressure warning it fairly standard (not sure if it's required) but in my experience those only go off if the pressure is really low. The more detailed systems that I've only thus far seen in Nissan and Chrysler (my experience is limited to domestics Nissan and Subaru) those include a constant pressure readout for each tire.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

dales

Post by dales »

No problems with the technology for me on my 2012 Honda Civic.

(your mileage may vary)

I almost forgot: the indicator illuminated and registered "low tire pressure". Pulled into a service station, checked pressure (with my own gauge, as the ones at gas stations are notoriously inaccurate) pumped in a few extra psi in the offending tire, and drove off.

No problems since.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Burning Petard wrote:... But is this tire pressure technology generally robust and reliable?
snailgate.
sg, the TPMS on my '10 KIA forte EX is generally working properly. However, quite often, when on a trip over 200 miles (+/-), the warning light comes on. Early on, I would pull over as soon as I could and check the pressure with my trusty FORTEM digital tire gauge. There never is a problem. I don't panic anymore knowing it's most likely a false warning.

I later found out that due to extreme high road temps, or really low 'standing' temps, these internal sensors can often send faulty information. To date, I have never had a real tire crisis (barring a puncture) that needed any emergency attention.

Ergo, I'd say the system is "generally robust and reliable" and have found it to be a nice system to have. BTW -- it is standard equipment on all KIA models. Had it been an option when I bought the car I probably would have said no thanks. Now after nine years, however, I would gladly take it -- even if it's an option.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

My car since it doesn’t have room for a spare has run flats so I hope the system is reliable

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

RayThom wrote:
Burning Petard wrote:... But is this tire pressure technology generally robust and reliable?
snailgate.
sg, the TPMS on my '10 KIA forte EX is generally working properly. However, quite often, when on a trip over 200 miles (+/-), the warning light comes on. Early on, I would pull over as soon as I could and check the pressure with my trusty FORTEM digital tire gauge. There never is a problem. I don't panic anymore knowing it's most likely a false warning.

I later found out that due to extreme high road temps, or really low 'standing' temps, these internal sensors can often send faulty information. To date, I have never had a real tire crisis (barring a puncture) that needed any emergency attention.

Ergo, I'd say the system is "generally robust and reliable" and have found it to be a nice system to have. BTW -- it is standard equipment on all KIA models. Had it been an option when I bought the car I probably would have said no thanks. Now after nine years, however, I would gladly take it -- even if it's an option.
It is standard on everything, I think legally required on new cars since about 2010.

MG McAnick

Post by MG McAnick »

Jarlaxle wrote: It is standard on everything, I think legally required on new cars since about 2010.
But the system is not LEGALLY required to be in working order. I asked that question on cartalk.com to be sure.

A new set of senors for an '08 F-150 ran about $200. All four were condemned. I guess if it saves one $200 20" tire, it might be worth it, but considering that I own several $2 tire gauges, and have good eyesight, I opted out.

Before the direct TPMS systems that vehicles have now, monitors used to work off of the cogs and sensors of that style ABS system. A low tire showed up as one that rotated more than the others due to decreased circumference. It worked just fine, and required little if any maintenance. The newer systems have a sensor inside each wheel. They still use the ABS, but it's supposed to be better as it can give a direct pressure reading. Some TPMS have batteries, which of course have a limited life. The better ones use RFID, and should last the life of the car.

Mrs Mc's "new' Jeep Grand Cherokee TPMS even says if the spare tire is low. The spare had never been on the ground, but had a bead leak, the three week kind, on the upper side as it was cable mounted to the bottom of the vehicle. The chrome plating had been eaten by corrosion since it collected water and road salt. Please explain why it was attached with the valve stem UP where it couldn't be inflated...
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

It saved one cent at the factory?

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

They install them stem-up to the undercarriage to prevent rocks from dinging the side you see, supposedly making them look batter when you install them. But that doesn't help when you live in the rust belt and salty snow and sand accumulates up there.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

MG McAnick

Post by MG McAnick »

Jarlaxle wrote:It saved one cent at the factory?
A penny saved on a million cars, isn't that $10,000?

Probably more than that, considering the UAW's high wages, benefits, and the factory's overhead cost.

How about the absence of keyholes in trunk lids and passenger doors on cars with remote keyless entry fobs? Now you're talking some big savings.

And then you lose the fob...

If you do lose one, they are available on ebay far cheaper than any dealer I've dealt with. Then you have to call someone with the equipment to set them up. Some locksmiths have it, some don't. Two new fobs, plus set up, for a Cadillac CTS this week totaled under $40. The dealer wanted just over $200. Prices may vary...
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Rented a pickup recently...damn thing had no keyhole in the passenger door, AND no remote fob. SERIOUSLY?!

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Losing a fob is no different than losing the key.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Never had a fob.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Crackpot wrote:Losing a fob is no different than losing the key.
Other than the 200x replacement cost.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Nowadays they are one in the same.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

My daughter's Maxima has a "proximity" feature. As she approaches the car it automatically unlocks the driver's door and once she's seated she just pushes the ignition button and goes.

I'm no Luddite but I find this all to easy. Unfortunately, if I ever decide to buy another new car I'll probably find it to be standard equipment. No doubt a subtle step towards self-driving cars.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Slight change of subject. There is is a piece in today's NYT about (especially) seniors (of which group most of us now are) who are fooled into leaving the car running in the garage because there is no longer a key to turn the engine off. The key fob is in the purse or pocket, and the engine requires only the proximity to start. (I may be explaining this to people who know all abut it - both the cars in my garage are 2008 and doing fine, thanks with pretty standard keys.) Apparently they put the car in the garage and the habit of a lifetime driving (stop the engine by removing the key from the ignition) is no longer triggered. Quiet engines don't help. The house fills with CO and Bob's your uncle - or rather he's not any more.

If you've run out of free NYT articles let me know and I can copy it here. I had no idea this was a thing.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I can only see this being a problem if the occupant is deaf. Both my cars make a hell of a racket if the fob leaves the interior of the car. (Yes the location sensors are that good). They also don’t unlock until a hand touches the handle.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

In 1984 I had regular use of an Audi 5000 owned by somebody else. I or the owner never had an instance of 'unintended acceleration' but the car may have been one of those statistical freaks (opposite of a lemon) where everything just was fitted together perfectly. This model became notorious for bad idle control. I never noticed that. It idled so quietly and so smoothly that I frequently could not tell the car was running, either sitting in the driver's seat or standing outside and near it.

snailgate