How robust is the tire pressure sensor gadget?

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Re: How robust is the tire pressure sensor gadget?

Post by Econoline »

Crackpot wrote:I can only see this being a problem if the occupant is deaf. Both my cars make a hell of a racket if the fob leaves the interior of the car.
All the examples in the article were people in their 70s and 80s (which of course explains the hearing loss*) and I think all the cars mentioned were Toyotas and Lexi.

Oh, the awful, unbearable inconvenience of having to put a key in the ignition! In order to avoid that difficult and strenuous chore, it's definitely worth paying for an option that might kill you!

* Yes, I'm over 70 myself; why do you ask? ;)
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

What purpose does turning a key serve?
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

RayThom

How robust is the tire pressure sensor gadget?

Post by RayThom »

The vagaries of old age: Keyless Ignitions

Keyless Ignitions Blamed for At Least 28 Deaths
http://www.newser.com/story/259215/keyl ... gn=rss_top
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

Crackpot wrote:What purpose does turning a key serve?
Oh, I don't know... being able to select "Accessories" instead on "on".

Or more to the point, thieves using relay boxes to amplify the signal from your own key, locked in your house, to start up and drive away. Way easier than hotwiring or using shaved keys.

Not to mention that a "smart key" is just an RFID chip that can be copied remotely, just as easily as copying the chip in your credit card. In fact easier because reprogrammable replacement smart keys already exist.

I don't even like the idea of remote start systems. Especially if the car is in a garage in the house. What if that button got accidentally pressed? Of course, remote start is something I'd never have anyway being that almost all my cars have manual transmissions, and I park them in gear. Of course none of my cars have fobs either.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Modern factory Remote starts only run 15 minutes and you have to lean on the button good and long. That and the tech involved modern keys is a little more complex then you let on.

And there are still ways to run accessories only. You just have to RTFM

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Datsun--my understanding re modern key fobs is that they transmit randomized signals that are difficult to decode (although I guess it might be possible if you studied the signals over a long period of time), so hacking is pretty difficult (although I am certain not impossible). I tried gogling it and, except for sites trying to sell you something, didn't find any reports of cars being stolen this way.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

A few years ago my BIL lost some stuff from his car when his remote was hacked by thieves. I'm guessing maybe 2012 or so. I know the technology has advanced but I assume that older cars (both mine are 2008) are still vulnerable.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I hate to ask this but what evidence was there or “remote” hacking?

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Crackpot wrote:I hate to ask this but what evidence was there or [sic] “remote” hacking?
I was thinking the same thing.  Perhaps someone cloned his remote or figured out some other way around it, like maybe using a 'slim-jim', a wire coat hanger, an actual honest-to-God old-school metal key — hell, your BIL might have even forgotten to lock all the doors in the first place! — but that's not 'hacking' his remote.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

Well, there's 3 ways I can think of for cloning or hacking key fobs.

One is with older cars that just had remote door locks, there were a limited number of frequencies and codes used. Much like garage door openers, thieves would just go around parking lots with either stolen fobs or a homemade transmitter and unlock car doors.

Second, is depicted here:

http://6abc.com/automotive/investigatio ... g/2676389/

It uses a radio frequency relay to extend the range of the RFID type fobs, making the car think the fob is nearby and allowing the car to be opened and in some cases, driven off.

Third, is cloning a fob. All you need there is the same technology used to clone RFID credit cards. It might be more complex, but once you have the whole code, it can be programmed into a replacement fob.

It's really no more than a high-tech "shaved" bump key.

OK, I realize that doesn't answer the question of why one needs to turn a key. As it is, I've never driven anything that didn't have a key. Other than military vehicles.
Last edited by datsunaholic on Sun May 20, 2018 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Crackpot wrote:I hate to ask this but what evidence was there or “remote” hacking?
AFAIR the police told him. 'The car had been locked and there was no sign (scratches etc) of a forced entry. The police told him that there had been a spate of that type of robbery in the area. Hacking may be the wrong word: in effect when he locked the car, using the remote, a nearby thief was watching and had some receiver which picked up and could then duplicate the signal. I assume (don't know) that it's a bit like garage door openers. Not so long ago there were 8 dip switches with two positions each which gives 256 possible settings. So if there are 20 people on your block, chances are good that two of them share (unknowingy) a GDO code. Now my understanding is that the codes are much more numerous and it is virtually impossible to share a code with a neighbour.