5G safety issues

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
ex-khobar Andy

5G safety issues

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I really haven't been paying attention but I did not know that there were significant safety questions about 5G.

https://ehtrust.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... o-Know.pdf

Most of the discussion in both the UK and US has been political, about the role of Huawei. I don't know enough about this to decide if we are seeing just the usual reluctance to adopt new technology, and how much is genuine concern. But it's interesting that there seems to be a number of scientists who are calling for a moratorium - i.e., let's just slow this down until we have better information.

Seems to me that 5G is mostly about the 'internet of things.' Having moved recently and bought new appliances I had a few conversations with sales guys trying to persuade me to buy a fridge that could tell you the weather, play a song and order more eggs when you run out. Or a washing machine that you could turn on from your phone. Now if it could walk around the house and pick up that pair of socks from under the bed I might be interested. I'm not sure that 5G will make my life easier.

Burning Petard

Re: 5G safety issues

Post by Burning Petard »

But it will make monetization and data mining much bigger. Snailgate.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

And, with regard to cell phones and the internet itself, it might make mobile data speeds over-the-air (as opposed to a dedicated hard-wire connection) a little faster ... so people can stream even more Netflix and Hulu, play all those fucking games, do all that social media shit, and live even more of their lives while walking around like zombies with their minds sucked into a six-inch handheld screen.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

RayThom

5G safety issues

Post by RayThom »

Bicycle Bill wrote:And, with regard to cell phones and the internet itself, it might make mobile data speeds over-the-air (as opposed to a dedicated hard-wire connection) a little faster ... so people can stream even more Netflix and Hulu, play all those fucking games, do all that social media shit, and live even more of their lives while walking around like zombies with their minds sucked into a six-inch handheld screen...
As one who deals in the sale of these addictive devices aren't you going to reap the monetary benefits of pushing 5G?

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

RayThom wrote:
Bicycle Bill wrote:And, with regard to cell phones and the internet itself, it might make mobile data speeds over-the-air (as opposed to a dedicated hard-wire connection) a little faster ... so people can stream even more Netflix and Hulu, play all those fucking games, do all that social media shit, and live even more of their lives while walking around like zombies with their minds sucked into a six-inch handheld screen...
As one who deals in the sale of these addictive devices aren't you going to reap the monetary benefits of pushing 5G?
No, I won't.  I'm not one of the snake-oil pushers in the stores.

I'm a customer service rep — one of the poor bastards on the telephone who will have to deal with the people who believed everything they were told by every story on the internet about how 5G is going to speed up the internet, bring service to places that never had it before, provide the ability to do things that even sci-fi hasn't thought of yet, cost even less than it does now, bring peace to the Middle East, and cure the common cold — and they'll be able to get these miraculous, marvelous devices for pennies because ... well, I'm still not exactly sure, but the standard refrain is that "we've been paying you guys for years now" (for services we've been providing and that you have been using, btw) "and you OWE us!!" ... and my colleagues and I get to be the ones who have to tell these people that at least 35% of that was pure pie-in-the-sky speculation or outright bullshit on the part of the tech reviewers, bloggers, or the manufacturers themselves; another 35% is because of the assholes in the stores who tell these pigeons whatever they wanted to hear in order to make the sale (and get their commission); and the rest — like the low-cost devices and the cut-rate plans — were either promotional offers with a specified expiration date or required the fulfillment of certain conditions, such as requiring a minimum number of lines, adding a new line of service or switching service from a competitor along with trading in the phone from the old carrier (as opposed to just upgrading a perfectly good device on an existing line), or leasing, not actually purchasing, the device.

And I have to do it while trying to keep them happy, when a fair share of these problems are self-made because they just plain did not read the agreement/installment billing/lease contract that they signed, either before *OR* after signing it, or because they never ever read and review their damned bills but just pay them blindly, and I have to do it with people hollering in my ear and calling me everything but a gentleman, and I have to put up with it because *THAT'S* what "Customer Service" has devolved into these days.... people ranting, pissing, and moaning because things are not what *THEY* think they should be or what *THEY* think they heard when they got their latest shiny new $1000 electronic plaything.

It should really be called "Damage Control".  Trust me, I EARN my money.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

You missed “ unveil the secret to “clean coal””
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.