The worst f both worlds. Here we go again.

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
MGMcAnick

The worst f both worlds. Here we go again.

Post by MGMcAnick »

Renault and FIAT - Chrysler (FCA) are considering a merger. It can't be any worse than when Renault merged with AMC, causing the demise of AMC. Granted Chrysler has the Ram truck, formerly Dodge, and the Jeep lineup. That makes them profitable. I don't think FIAT and Alfa Romeo have ever made FCA much money on this side of the pond.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ ... 254829001/
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Burning Petard

Re: The worst f both worlds. Here we go again.

Post by Burning Petard »

Renault also has this screwed -up relationship with Nissan and the government of Japan, with their top executive under house arrest.

One of the worst mistakes I made was buying an AMC/Renault Alliance. It did teach me alot about car trouble shooting and maintenance.

snailgate.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Personally I find it hard to believe that FCA can get more fucked up than it already is, but, if there is one thing that life has taught me is that while there is a point where things can not get better; things can always get worse. FCA has of yet been unable to work out their italian/ american partnership (tho its admittedly much better than the German debacle) adding French and Japanese (among others) into the mix does not look good.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I have owned two Renault/AMC (Encore and a Medallion); two Fiats (both 127); and one Alfa. And a Hillman Hunter- Hillman was the UK Chrysler. OK the Encore was made of tinfoil and I was badly damaged by an unexpected encounter with an electric pole in a Buffalo blizzard but I can't blame that on the car. The Fiats were both astoundingly reliable and one I drove for 30,000 miles in Africa - sturdy and would go anywhere. And with the Alfa rust got to it eventually (as is the way with Alfas) but it was a blast to drive. Only problem with the Hillman was that I was trying to impress a new GF who lived on the other side of London and the muffler/silencer fell off. I had to drive back home through central London with no muffler at 3 in the morning. I have only ever once had two cars at the same time: the Hillman and the Alfa. I was teaching my GF (not the one who lived the other side of London) to drive and she crashed the Alfa into the Hillman. She is doing Sudokus on her computer as I write this and I try to remind her of that incident no more than once per year.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Burning Petard wrote:... One of the worst mistakes I made was buying an AMC/Renault Alliance. It did teach me alot about car trouble shooting and maintenance.
snailgate.
Ah, ha! So you're the one who bought it.

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I sold it to my future son-in-law for one dollar, cash. At that time it had about 140 thou miles accomplished (unsure, the speedometer/odometer died a year earlier. To fix it required a complete tear-down of the auto-nanny to get at a plastic gear buried therein.) He kept it running for another 3 months and moved on to something else. Inspite of that, he still married my daughter.

snailgate

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Per Ray:
Burning Petard wrote:
... One of the worst mistakes I made was buying an AMC/Renault Alliance. It did teach me alot about car trouble shooting and maintenance.
snailgate.

Ah, ha! So you're the one who bought it.
Hey, I resent that.

Mine was gold; a very sharp car. Manual (difficult to find even in 1984) and I went all over the NE in it. Toronto a bunch of times, NYC, WDC, Montreal, Philly, Boston. Never a problem until aforementioned blizzard-assisted rapprochement with a utility pole.

RayThom

The worst of both worlds. Here we go again.

Post by RayThom »

Ah, monsieur, une sucré balade, pour sûr.

Didn't the Alliance come equipped with the Oughta' shift transmission, and the GoFaster tires?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

MGMcAnick

Re: The worst of both worlds. Here we go again.

Post by MGMcAnick »

A friend if mine was the local franchised AMC dealer when all that crap hit the fan. I knew him from the MG owners club we had back then. He had a nice MGTD. He'd taken the dealership over from his father who had run it since the late '40s. One of my 1950 Nashes has a chrome advertising plaque on the rear with Joe's father's name on it. Joe told me that it was Renault that caused his legacy business to go belly up. Many many many warranty repairs were never paid for. The big one was head gaskets.

Another friend had a Renault Alliance. She was driving down the highway (at 55 MPH) when the dash, including the steering column, literally fell onto her legs. My guess is that the column came loose and took the rest of the dash with it. That made steering difficult. She nearly crashed the car.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

• Fiat Chrysler withdraws merger offer to Renault after Nissan balks
    ERIC C. EVARTS | JUNE 6, 2019

A potential merger between Fiat Chrysler and Renault, which would have involved Japanese partners Nissan and Mitsubishi, is off the table.

Fiat Chrysler withdrew the offer after Nissan, Renault's larger but junior partner withheld its support. A report in trade journal Automotive News (subscription required), noted that Nissan representatives abstained from the final vote Wednesday night. Nissan owns 15 percent of Renault, while Renault owns 43.4 percent of Nissan.

The final agreement also foundered after the French government, which also owns 15 percent of Renault, requested a delay in the vote after a key union voted against the deal.

"It has become clear that the political conditions in France do not currently exist for such a combination to proceed successfully," Fiat Chrysler said in a statement. The company said it remains "firmly convinced of the compelling, transformational rationale of a proposal that has been widely appreciated since it was submitted, the structure and terms of which were carefully balanced to deliver substantial benefits to all parties."

Shortly before the deal fell apart a Fiat Chrysler representative told Reuters "Nissan needs to be in the loop."

But Nissan CEO Hiroto Saikawa said Monday the merger "would require a fundamental review of the existing relationship between Nissan and Renault."

The tie-up would have resulted in the world's largest automaker, with 8.1 million sales a year of everything from tiny European city cars to hulking American pickup trucks.

One thing Nissan could have brought to the table is the electric-car technology behind the Leaf, which remains the cumulative top-selling electric car in the world and recently passed 400,000 sales.

Fiat Chrysler withdrew the offer after the French government asked for more time.

With all automakers facing pressure to develop cleaner electric cars, as well as self-driving cars and transportation services, smaller companies like Fiat Chrysler and Renault are likely to continue to seek other partners.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Econoline wrote: Nissan owns 15 percent of Renault, while Renault owns 43.4 percent of Nissan.
So does this mean that Nissan owns 6.51% of itself? 8-)

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Whatever it is, it sounds obscene. ;)
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God