I want a Challenger

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
BoSoxGal

Re: I want a Challenger

Post by BoSoxGal »

I *did* used to wonder what I’d do in that circumstance, as I’d had a power window fail so figured it could happen to the sunroof sometime, too.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Sunroofs used to be bad for all of those things (aftermarkets still are). Though as I said they seem to have fixed the major problems by the end of the 90’s. I think the major part of the solution was to incorporate the sunroof into the original design rather than sending vehicles to aftermarket shops.

As for them getting stuck open how is that going to be a problem if you’re never going to use it? What do you do if your power windows break?
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Because stuck open means it rains or snows inside your car?

When my power window failed, until I was able to afford to replace the necessary parts, my mechanic was able to pop the door panel, move the window to the closed position and tighten it to stay closed. I imagine something like this must be possible if your power sunroof fails while in the open position, but it also seems like it would be a much bigger production. Maybe not?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Depends how you look at it. A lot of people are more comfortable removing a door panel than dropping the headliner but you’re less likely to damage the spring clips that usually hold the headliner in place than the “ Christmas tree fasteners “ that hold door panels on. Fact is if you want either to fit right again going with a professional is probably your best bet.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

I’ve owned either convertibles or cars with sunroofs since 1996. Never a leak, never an issue opening or closing. Yes, a convertible is noisier than a hard top, but the noisiest vehicle I ever owned was my Jeep, and it had nothing to do with the small sunroof.

I adore the panoramic sunroof in my Bimmer. It lets in so much light and air. It’s not a ‘vertible, but it’s a nice compromise.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

This article gives me pause on the panoramic sunroof: https://www.consumerreports.org/car-saf ... -overhead/

Apparently more than a few have randomly exploded, and the vehicle manufacturers aren’t terribly helpful to the people who suffer that joy.
~ Carl Sagan

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

You posted that article before, and I researched my car before buying it. According to the NHTSA, there is only one sunroof complaint for my model and year. Not enough to not make the purchase, and it also has CPO status, so its covered under warranty for a while longer.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’m glad to hear that. I meant the article as a general contribution to the conversation, not specifically directed at your happiness with your car - just to clarify!

I think those panoramic sunroofs look great and I would love one here in Massachusetts, where it’s more likely to be enjoyed in rainfall than in blazing sunshine - there’s nothing I love more than sitting in a sunroom on a rainy day under the raindrops, weird as that sounds. Living out West for a couple of decades left me with a deep appreciation for precipitation and I never, ever complain anymore about rainy days or snow.

My niece is looking at a new used vehicle with a panoramic and I’ve shared the article with her so she can do her due diligence, too.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

My stepfather's 300 has the panoramic sunroof. He loves it (indeed: it and AWD are the main reasons he bought the car in a color he didn't like), but I don't like it, my mother doesn't like it (she is very sensitive to sun, due to Lyme disease), and my wife will not ride in the car with the panel open.

On a more positive note, I found an SRT with no sunroof. The less positive note...it's 1000 miles away. :(

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Roadtrip!!
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

I want a Challenger

Post by RayThom »

Jarlaxle wrote:... On a more positive note, I found an SRT with no sunroof. The less positive note...it's 1000 miles away.
Fly out to the car's location and have the seller deduct your expenses from the sale price. And then -- as mentioned above -- roadtrip!!

Check it out:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewwend ... 60db9e19b0
1000 miles? You might be able to make the trip home in about 10 hours -- give or take.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

I will ship myself truck freight before subjecting myself to commercial air travel.

And I'm not sure I want a purple car. :shrug

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

There are still trains and buses, Jarl. Or you might look into getting a rental relocation or driveaway vehicle. Or drive there with your wife or a relative or a friend and drive back in two cars. Or if you've got a vehicle capable of towing it, drive down and trailer (or tow-bar?) it back. Where there's a will there's a way road trip!
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Stop playing Hamlet and figure out how to travel to the car, or have it brought to you. It’s not that difficult.

dales

Post by dales »

Jarl enjoys being miserable.

Why rob him of that perverse pleasure?

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Jarlaxle wrote:I will ship myself truck freight before subjecting myself to commercial air travel.

And I'm not sure I want a purple car. :shrug
My former boyfriend’s purple Challenger was a gorgeous car. Wasn’t enough to keep me from walking (he got the color to impress me which ended up being just a larger then usual example of his self absorption) but I gotta admit that car regularly turned heads, including mine.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Jarlaxle wrote:And I'm not sure I want a purple car. :shrug
No sweat — all you need to do is find this guy ....
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Econoline wrote:There are still trains and buses, Jarl. Or you might look into getting a rental relocation or driveaway vehicle. Or drive there with your wife or a relative or a friend and drive back in two cars. Or if you've got a vehicle capable of towing it, drive down and trailer (or tow-bar?) it back. Where there's a will there's a way road trip!
I'd probably take a train if I go get it. I haven't owned anything able to tow a Challenger (~4000lbs plus trailer) since selling my last F-350.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Guinevere wrote:Stop playing Hamlet and figure out how to travel to the car, or have it brought to you. It’s not that difficult.
I'm leery of dropping a pile of money on a car sight unseen. I'm leery of the seller demanding more when I get there, or the car having a serious problem (bad clutch, serious rust, smelling like an ashtray or a dead skunk) and being basically screwed.

And Bosco, fuck off and die.

dales

Post by dales »

Looks like Bosco struck a nerve.

TooFunny!

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato