I want a Challenger

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
RayThom

I want a Challenger

Post by RayThom »

Jarlaxle wrote:Want.
Track Pack (3.73 axle and limited slip), no sunroof, no leather, Pistol Grip shifter, spent its entire life in Texas and Oklahoma so no road salt, has headers and full Borla exhaust...aftermarket stereo is a bummer, but should be easy enough to swap for a stock head unit. Federal emission car, FWIW. Just need a set of stock wheels for winter tires. Not thrilled about black...but I can live with it.
You have my blessing. Go for it.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Jarlaxle

Re: I want a Challenger

Post by Jarlaxle »

Wow. I found...something that I did not expect. It's a 2012 Challenger...SRT 392. Rip-roaring 6.4 litre Hemi (480hp), 6-speed manual, and the first and only SRT I have seen with no sunroof. Price is in my price range, it's local, dealer claims one owner, but it has high miles.

No, higher. Keep going. Higher than that. More. It has 242,855 miles. But wow, this is tempting.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Looks nice. I found it on cars.com in about 10 seconds. It certainly scrubs up well and doesn't look like a car with close to a quarter of a million miles on it. By whatever criteria cars.com use, they rate it a 'great deal.'

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:Looks nice. I found it on cars.com in about 10 seconds. It certainly scrubs up well and doesn't look like a car with close to a quarter of a million miles on it. By whatever criteria cars.com use, they rate it a 'great deal.'
Like everything else I touch, this turned to shit. Car has a sunroof, seller lied to me. I am holding onto my temper by a fraying thread, using every ounce of control I have not to put my fist through something.

I need to get drunk.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Bummer to get your hopes up like that and be disappointed. Hopefully, you will find a better opportunity around the corner.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Jarlaxle wrote:Car has a sunroof, seller lied to me.
I'm with you about sunroofs. (In fact that's a big part of the reason why I opted for the base LE model rather than the next-step-up XLE package—which includes a sunroof—when I bought my new RAV4 last summer.) That said, if I found a car I really really liked, I'm not sure if I'd let that be *THE* dealbreaker. The real dealbreaker, I'm sure you agree, is that if the seller lied about something that obvious, how could you possibly trust anything else he says?

:evil: Bummer.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Econoline wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:Car has a sunroof, seller lied to me.
I'm with you about sunroofs. (In fact that's a big part of the reason why I opted for the base LE model rather than the next-step-up XLE package—which includes a sunroof—when I bought my new RAV4 last summer.) That said, if I found a car I really really liked, I'm not sure if I'd let that be *THE* dealbreaker. The real dealbreaker, I'm sure you agree, is that if the seller lied about something that obvious, how could you possibly trust anything else he says?

:evil: Bummer.
Sunroof is a total, instant deal killer.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I adored the sunroof/moonroof in my Mazda 626; not having one is the only thing I’ve disliked about my RAV4.

Why do you guys dislike them so much?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

BoSoxGal wrote:I adored the sunroof/moonroof in my Mazda 626; not having one is the only thing I’ve disliked about my RAV4.

Leaks, noise, structural weakness, weight...and the loss of headroom. I have very tight headroom in many cars. (Indeed, it's a major reason I drive a Crown Victoria.)

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Probably for pretty much the same reason I'd never cut a big hole in a perfectly good house roof in order to install a skylight, if there was any possibility at all of getting the light I wanted from enlarging/reconfiguring windows. "Leaks, noise, structural weakness, weight...and the loss of headroom." Yeah, that pretty much says it all. (Though depending on the particular vehicle, the last 2 just *might* not be that much of an issue. But still... )
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

Oddly, all the vehicles I have with sunroofs increase the headroom. But then again, they are all flip-up sunroofs, not power ones.

Read somewhere that less than 1 in 25 Challenger SRTs have solid roofs.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

RayThom

I want a Challenger

Post by RayThom »

BoSoxGal wrote:I adored the sunroof/moonroof in my Mazda 626; not having one is the only thing I’ve disliked about my RAV4.
I always liked the electric moonroofs (and convertible tops) on some of my previous vehicles. I couldn't afford the option on my '10 KIA Forte at the time of purchase so I went without. I still miss it.

If it wasn't raining, the roof was almost always opened a few inches. I enjoyed the ventilation aspects without having to open a noisy side window.

If I buy another new car I'm sure I'll price one with a retractable roof, and see if it's within my budget.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

If you don't want your sunroof, you can caulk it and seal it permanently.

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

T-top headroom is the big thing for me too. They eat up at least an inch, maybe two. I haven't seen a factory sunroof leak on any car made in the last 15 years, and I've owned a few. Sometimes I've had to lean the seat back a bit. I don't think structural rigidity is an issue with a factory T-top. They have quite a framework to go along with their mechanism. I also have not seen a non-factory sunroof on a car in at least that long. I think those fell out of favor because they ALWAYS leaked, some of them badly.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I loved mine but I’m 5’3” so headroom is not a problem in any vehicle. It never leaked and wasn’t noisy that I recall; I left the interior shade open almost all the time for the extra light and had the window tilted in all but the coldest weather - or in rain, obviously. I opened it all the way much of the time the way I now open the windows in my RAV4, for all the air without the wind.

But this was a mid 1990s Mazda 626, with a then standard size sun/moonroof - not terribly large and I didn’t worry about the structural aspects at all. I will admit that seeing some of the newer vehicles with their nearly full roof sunroof systems - well, I wouldn’t be keen on that for structural reasons, as cool as it looks for a climate like where I live (more rain and clouds than blazing sunshine).
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Joe Guy wrote:If you don't want your sunroof, you can caulk it and seal it permanently.
If you don't want a hole in something—whether it's in the top of a car or the bottom of a boat—the best alternative is always not to put a hole in it in the first place, rather than to fix an existing hole that somebody else already put in it.
God @The Tweet of God

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Econoline wrote: If you don't want a hole in something—whether it's in the top of a car or the bottom of a boat—the best alternative is always not to put a hole in it in the first place, rather than to fix an existing hole that somebody else already put in it.
True, but the hole is already there, Grasshopper.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Me, I want a Panoz roadster with a Ford gen III Coyote engine.

snailgate

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I haven’t been privy to a problem of leaks or structural weakness for decades (at least with factory installed sunroofs for the last 20 years. (though if there were to be a problem it would probably be on a Chrysler) I can’t speak to the noise as I haven’t done a with or without comparison but I haven’t noticed an increase in noise when not in use. (I would expect if you do there would be a leak.) Headroom could be an issue tho depends on the vehicle 4 of the least 5 cars I bought have had them. Even though I rarely used them. The only use I had for them was to rapidly suck out the hot air after the car was sitting in the sun (floor vents on sunroof open to vent)
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Crackpot wrote:I haven’t been privy to a problem of leaks or structural weakness for decades (at least with factory installed sunroofs for the last 20 years. (though if there were to be a problem it would probably be on a Chrysler) I can’t speak to the noise as I haven’t done a with or without comparison but I haven’t noticed an increase in noise when not in use. (I would expect if you do there would be a leak.) Headroom could be an issue tho depends on the vehicle 4 of the least 5 cars I bought have had them. Even though I rarely used them. The only use I had for them was to rapidly suck out the hot air after the car was sitting in the sun (floor vents on sunroof open to vent)
Every vehicle I have been in with a sunroof is louder than its solid-roof counterpart. The sunroof on my mother's Sable whistled on the highway, my sister's Civic also whistled (and leaked).

There is also the "now what?!" moment when the thing is open and will not close.