I have a Challenger

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
BoSoxGal

Re: I have a Challenger

Post by BoSoxGal »

My mechanic does my oil changes for me - I got a great deal on a case of genuine Toyota oil filters on eBay and I buy the oil when it’s on sale at AutoZone - full synthetic high mileage. So they just do the dirty bits and dispose of the old oil for me and for that they charge me $20, which isn’t bad considering it takes a half hour and their hourly labor rate is 5x that. I didn’t even think they’d be willing to do oil changes because it’s a loser for them, but the owner of my new trusted shop does it for regular customers because he doesn’t want them to get screwed into shit they don’t need. That’s one reason I love him - in addition to the great work he’s done on my car recently for far less than other places quoted me.

When I was a kid I loved helping my dad do the driveway oil changes - one reason why I once briefly dreamed of being an auto mechanic with a shop by ladies for ladies. It’s been decades since I’ve done my own oil changes - lots of years as a renter where it wasn’t allowed, then just got out of the habit, too much regular work to do on my weekends, no time to love on my car.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Darren

Re: I have a Challenger

Post by Darren »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:02 am
My mechanic does my oil changes for me - I got a great deal on a case of genuine Toyota oil filters on eBay and I buy the oil when it’s on sale at AutoZone - full synthetic high mileage. So they just do the dirty bits and dispose of the old oil for me and for that they charge me $20, which isn’t bad considering it takes a half hour and their hourly labor rate is 5x that. I didn’t even think they’d be willing to do oil changes because it’s a loser for them, but the owner of my new trusted shop does it for regular customers because he doesn’t want them to get screwed into shit they don’t need. That’s one reason I love him - in addition to the great work he’s done on my car recently for far less than other places quoted me.

When I was a kid I loved helping my dad do the driveway oil changes - one reason why I once briefly dreamed of being an auto mechanic with a shop by ladies for ladies. It’s been decades since I’ve done my own oil changes - lots of years as a renter where it wasn’t allowed, then just got out of the habit, too much regular work to do on my weekends, no time to love on my car.
There was a woman near Pittsburgh that ran a transmission repair business. She wrote a book about auto repair for women. I met her once for transmission work and she took me around the shop.

That was when transmissions went electronic. That was one of the best organized and equipped shops I've ever seen. I gave a copy of the book to my daughter and had her help me with repairs. She drew the line at assembling the V-8 engine model I gave her.

http://www.transmissionsbylucille.com/aboutus.html
Thank you RBG wherever you are!