Up, Up, ..... and AWAAAAAYYYYY!!!

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Up, Up, ..... and AWAAAAAYYYYY!!!

Post by Bicycle Bill »

French Fighter Jet Joy Ride Goes Très, Très Wrong

Imagine:  You work hard your whole life in the French defense industry, and when it's time to retire, your co-workers want to give you something more memorable than a gold watch or a set of golf clubs.  So they set up a coveted back-seat ride in a Dassault Rafale-B fighter jet, the kind of perk that requires serious connections.

Just one problem:  nobody asked one particular 64-year-old civilian whether he ever wanted such a ride, or showed him much about what to expect.  Next thing you know, the French Investigation Bureau for State Aviation Safety (BEA-E) is issuing a report explaining how Monsieur Newbie came to experience not only the Dassault, but also its Martin-Baker MK16 ejection seat.

Well, mistakes were made.  Lots of them.  Since this treat was to be a surprise, the recipient didn't get much of a briefing on what to expect.  His g-suit pants weren't on correctly, his seat harness wasn't tight, and his helmet—and oxygen mask—were unbuckled as the plane taxied to the runway at Saint-Dizier 113 air base.  He was so nervous that his heartbeat was around 140 bpm just from climbing into the plane.  Our reluctant Goose did get medical clearance from a doctor, but only four hours before the flight, and with an important stipulation:  no negative G's.  The way the rest of this was unfolding, do you want to guess whether there were negative G's?  Mais oui!

The fighter pilot, being a fighter pilot, probably thought he was taking it easy as he pulled into a 47-degree climb and generated a 3.7-G load (which, incidentally, was also beyond the doctor-ordered limit of 3 G's).  On the climb, both pilot and passenger were crushed down into the seat.  But when the plane started to level off, things got real panicky in the rear seat, as a negative 0.67-G load caused the ill-buckled passenger to feel like he was about to fly out of the cockpit.  Which, shortly thereafter, he did.

Apparently the quick and dirty safety briefing failed to properly emphasize the fact that the black-and-yellow striped loop in the middle of the seat, between his legs, was not a grab handle but the trigger for the ejection seat.  The good doctor's G-load recommendations were surely exceeded as pyrotechnics blasted a hole in the canopy and rocket motors fired the seat and its terrified denizen out into the slipstream high above the French countryside.

It was probably not long afterward that, as the seat left the plane, so did the unbuckled helmet part ways with the miserable noggin it was pledged to protect.

In a growing cascade of colossal fails, the next one was actually fortuitous:  the pilot's own ejection seat malfunctioned.  When either the fore or aft seat in a Rafale is triggered, the second one is supposed to follow automatically, on the theory that if one crew member makes an unscheduled departure, there's probably a good reason for the other to promptly join the exodus.  And indeed, after the world's unhappiest retiree bid adieu, pyrotechnics blew a hole in the pilot's canopy.  But the first ejection damaged the front seat such that it didn't eject, and the pilot was actually able to land his now al fresco fighter jet.  At which point the pilot beat feet away from the aircraft, for fear that the dud seat would, like so many flights, take off late.  In fact, nobody was allowed near the plane for 24 hours after it landed, just in case the pilot's seat decided to go all Colonel Stapp and fire the rockets.

As for our unfortunate co-pilot, he made it to the ground with minor injuries and likely a keen desire to never hang out with his old co-workers ever again.  Because, as the report notes, he didn't want to ride in a fighter jet in the first place.  According to the BEA-E, the passenger "never expressed a desire to carry out this type of flight, and in particular on Rafale," but his cohorts offered him no chance to bail.  Ultimately, he did anyway.
from, of all places, Car and Driver
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Re: Up, Up, ..... and AWAAAAAYYYYY!!!

Post by BoSoxGal »

I read a short blurb story about this in Daily Mail at the time it happened and my first thought was, what a horrible surprise present - possibly the worst ever. So lucky everything turned out ok.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Like BSG I saw the original report so I am pleased to see a little more detail here. I bet some colonel somewhere is in for it. The plane was probably going for a training flight already, so he thought - I can buy a lot of black market toilet paper for a €1000 donation - what the hell - I'll save the French taxpayer (some guy in Paris named Marcel) a little dosh and I'll be a hero - and approved it. I have no idea of the cost of replacing an ejector seat and the shattered canopy but I'm sure it's not shy of €1,000,000 or so.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I love how that story was written. It caused a literal LOL.

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

From the article
"In a growing cascade of colossal fails, the next one was actually fortuitous: the pilot's own ejection seat malfunctioned. When either the fore or aft seat in a Rafale is triggered, the second one is supposed to follow automatically, on the theory that if one crew member makes an unscheduled departure, there's probably a good reason for the other to promptly join the exodus. "

One must remember that the entire plane, not just the ejection system, was a French design.

Just before Mrs Mc retired from Cessna Aircraft, a division of Textron Aviation, she was given the opportunity to go on a pre-delivery test ride in a brand new Cessna Citation X. It's a 12 seat plane. There was lots of space. This is not something that is given to the rank and file. She'd worked with many of the test pilots and engineers as an IT manager whose work included playing with the on board computers on several Citation models. If her group messed up, planes could have fallen out of the sky. Of course she jumped at the opportunity. The flight involved going to an area Cessna used near Roswell NM, then to Reno NV and back to Wichita. Some time was spent on the ground. She was gone all day.

It should be noted that Cessna's jets do not have ejection seats.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.