Nissan getting out of Europe?

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
Gob

Post by Gob »

(Reuters) - Nissan Motor Co Ltd (7201.T) will pull back from Europe and elsewhere to focus on the United States, China and Japan under a plan that represents a new strategic direction for the embattled carmaker, people with direct knowledge of the plan told Reuters.

The “operational performance plan” is due to be announced on May 28 and goes beyond fixing problems from ousted leader Carlos Ghosn’s aggressive expansion drive, the people said.

Pursuit of market share, particularly in the United States, led to steep discounting and a cheapened brand. Under the new, three-year plan - reported here for the first time - Nissan aims to restore dealer ties and refresh lineups to regain pricing power and profitability, the people told Reuters.

“This is not just a cost-cutting plan. We’re rationalising operations, reprioritising and refocusing our business to plant seeds for the future,” one of the people said.

The plan also aims to cut competition and expand cooperation with alliance partners, the people said. Nissan will follow Mitsubishi Motors Corp (7211.T) in plug-in electric hybrid vehicle technology, with the smaller peer taking the lead in Asian markets outside China and Japan. France’s Renault SA (RENA.PA) will likely focus on electrical vehicle technologies and Europe.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-autos ... KKBN22G0XD
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

dales

Re: Nissan getting out of Europe?

Post by dales »

Nissan's going broke in the USA.

Since they teamed with Renault their quality has gone down the poop shoot.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

AMC - Renault, Chrysler - MB, Chrysler - Fiat all come to mind. Some merger can't handle the diametrically opposed cultures.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Darren

Post by Darren »

RayThom wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 9:17 pm
AMC - Renault, Chrysler - MB, Chrysler - Fiat all come to mind. Some merger can't handle the diametrically opposed cultures.
Sometimes it's not the culture but the managerial incompetence that due diligence misses. New top level management can't drill down enough to fix it.
Last edited by Darren on Wed May 06, 2020 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you RBG wherever you are!

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Darren wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 3:01 pm
RayThom wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 9:17 pm
Sometimes it's not the culture but the managerial incompetence that due diligence misses. New top level management can drill down enough to fix it.
Maybe.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

wesw

Post by wesw »

the way I remember it is that Nissan tried t0 save Datsun by changing the name and claiming newness.

kinda like Bayliner, 0r US Marine, 0r whatever they call themselves n0w....

they pr0bably made a few g00d b0ats, but 0h they made s0me crappy 47 ft yachts....

Datsun made sme g00d stuff....

the 240Z 280 and 0thers cars were gamechanging and are highly prized t0day.

l00k at F0RD....

they had a bad rep, and deservedly s0....

my M0m had tw0 0ld mavericks....

really bad....

she had an 0ld pint0 t00....

bad car....

F0rd just g0t better th0....

they had their trucks 0f that era, and they are still running t0day....

their luxury line was 0K, my M0m had tw0 LTDs t00, and they were a little better.....

then they made the Esc0rt...., and while it ain t my cuppa tea, and I d0n t see them 0n the r0ad much, they were a g00d car that was w0rth the price, and they achieved internati0nal success with it...

.... and they kept the trucks g00d......

they saved the mustang......

there were a few years when th0se mustangs were just h0rrible

...except f0r Farrah faucet s ..., hers was c00l... ;)

any way, just s0me rand0m th0ughts......

Hmmmm..., wr0ng thread....

nevermind

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

wesw wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:56 pm
there were a few years when th0se mustangs were just h0rrible

...except f0r Farrah faucet s ..., hers was c00l... ;)
Maybe 'Farrah faucet' had a Rustang, but the pictures I found show that Farrah Fawcett's ride was a 'Vette.

Rescued from storage and sent to auction in its "as found" state (which was rough, to say the least), it sold for just north of $50 grand when it went across the Barrett-Jackson sales floor a few years back.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

I think wesw is thinking about the Fords Charlie's Angels drove on the series.

Image I almost never see any of those three Ford models on the road anymore.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.