Would you buy a used car from this man?

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
MGMcAnick

Would you buy a used car from this man?

Post by MGMcAnick »

The 130 car collection of Bob Regehr, who invented the inflatable "bouncy house", is to be sold next weekend in Hutchinson KS. Who knew he lived there? My guess is that there will be no bargains due to the company handling the sale. They don't do anything half way. International advertising and foreign bidders will drive prices to stratospheric levels. That being said, I'll probably just wait for the news reports rather than driving 45 miles up there to witness the Barrett Jackson aficionados bidding too much. Barrett Jackson has made everyone think that grandma's old Chevy in the barn is work a million bucks.

Here is a link to the auction. If you decide to go, LMK. I might go anyway...

https://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/auc ... -vehicles/
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

PMS Princess

Re: Would you buy a used car from this man?

Post by PMS Princess »

Might be fun to look around since you are so close. Very true about Barrett Jackson. My brother sold one of his AMC Ramblers at a swap meet for 5k! :| :| Then it showed up at Barrett's for 22.5k! Plus they were saying one owner when there had been at least 3.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

These turned up in an old Buick dealership just a couple hundred miles downriver from where I live. As yet, no word on what's going to become of them.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

The barn find hunter reminds me of a long-closed Chevrolet dealership in a small town about 100 miles west of here. It had a second level, accessible by a ramp from the interior of the building in downtown Haviland, population about 700. Yes, very small towns often had franchised dealers for several brands. The dealership closed sometime in the early '70s.

About 15 years ago, the heirs of the dealer sold the building, lock, stock, and barrel, to an individual who intended to raze it. Unbeknownst to the buyer, or seller, there were cars stored on that second level. Lock, stock, and barrel, and old cars too. A deal is a deal.

The cars wound up at another small-town, but well advertised, consignment auction. I went, thinking that the crowd would be small. It was, but some of them brought a lot of money.

Keep in mind that it was 16 years ago, so today the prices seem low. Most of the cars were in need of complete restoration.

1954 Corvette original I-6 automatic $3500
1967 Corvette 427 4-speed convertible, $15000 OK, THAT'S rarer than rare. An enclosed trailer with a "Corvette Store" logo and CA tag told me it was headed for California. I wish I could find one like it at that price today.
1957 Corvette Convertible with the removable hardtop, $4500
1964-1/2 Mustang, HP 289 V8, three speed, all original, needing only a good cleaning up, $3000 That's the one I bought. I wish I still had it. It went to Alberta Canada where the buyer said rust free Mustangs don't exist.

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

The results of the auction can be found here. Click on results for the Bob Regehr auction.
https://www.vanderbrinkauctions.com/auction-results/

I have a couple of friends who attended. They said it was a zoo. Elbow to elbow bidders, but a lot of nice cars. Nothing was cheap, and that was said by a guy who could write a good check for $100,000 on a moment's notice.