Maintaining Small Flashlights

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
BoSoxGal

Re: Maintaining Small Flashlights

Post by BoSoxGal »

If you have a smartphone you can listen to NPR using their wonderful app on your phone. I still listen to Yellowstone Public Radio sometimes on my iPhone.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Thanks Dales, I had forgotten about B cells; now that I recall them, I also recall A cells which were bigger than a AA and smaller than a B cell. I haven't seen either for years. I'd bet I have some C cells in a drawer somewhere, though I don't know what I needed them for.

I also recall those giant 'Dry cells", about 6-7 inches high and 3 inches in diameter, with the two screw terminals on top; I used them for my crystal radio and other "Fun Experiments for Boys" (a book I had for the wonderful word of electronics; I had a similar book for chemistry experiments (don't know if girls were forbidden from reading either or performing the experiments).

Methuselah

Post by Methuselah »

Those dry cells were often used for doorbells in ancient days. They were a cheap alternative to stringing wire over long distances to connect to 110 V power, to the bell in the kitchen, and to the button on the door. They'd last a while, and it wasn't a disaster if the system went dead and you didn't notice.The only wire they needed was from the battery to the door, battery to bell, and button to bell. The batteries were usually stored in the nearest clothes closet. I haven't kept up with the chic modern ways. I suspect the button has a tiny battery in it, or a solar panel to keep it wireless. It would have a wifi sender which talked to a bell in the kitchen, with 110V wiring for power on the bell. I probably missed some of the more modern gadgets. I am amazed when I see how the front end of the house is now covered with security cameras and mics and speakers to talk to people at the door. I guess they don't even need buttons to push to make a message. Visitors can just look at one of the camera and wave their hands and shout "Open the damned door". The housewife can click another button that opens the door, and maybe even opens it a bit. The security system will ring the bell for you.
She can click another button and and yell "Get off the grass" to a wino she sees from the security camera, stumbling by. The wires are cheaper, the installation guys wind up costing you $50/hour for installation and when they come back to fix the inevitable bugs. Don't even ask about what the hardware costs.
I suspect school scientists still use the dry cells. They have small budgets, so innovation is slow.

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Ah yes, "B"s.

I remember going to the (Jones?) beach and having my biological father's Zenith Trans-Oceanic portable radio with us. I suspect that battery life was an issue, and that the batteries were probably not cheap. The radio was not turned on for our entire time. Strangers would stand nearby to listen, as it was an oddity in the mid-'50s. I wish I had that radio today.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:21 am
If you have a smartphone you can listen to NPR using their wonderful app on your phone. I still listen to Yellowstone Public Radio sometimes on my iPhone.
I have used my phone for both local (KMUW member) and national NPR, especially when travelling. (Remember travelling?) I have the app, but I prefer my old radio.
Not that it's a big deal at all, but there are a few seconds lag in the transmission on the phone's WiFi.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

When I lived in Columbia MO, there was a local park which was very close to one mile around. If I was in the exercise mood I'd often do three or four laps. My phone was tuned to the local NPR and I'd listen to it live. Regularly on each lap around the same point, it would cut out for a second or two and then resume but repeat possibly 5 seconds I had already heard. Then at another point it would cut out again and resume but having missed 10 seconds or so. I don't know how the technology works but I can only assume that I was between two towers which for whatever reason were a few seconds out of sync and I was cutting in and out as I walked. Someone who knows how these things work may have a better idea.

dales

Post by dales »

MGMcAnick wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:24 pm
Ah yes, "B"s.

I remember going to the (Jones?) beach and having my biological father's Zenith Trans-Oceanic portable radio with us. I suspect that battery life was an issue, and that the batteries were probably not cheap. The radio was not turned on for our entire time. Strangers would stand nearby to listen, as it was an oddity in the mid-'50s. I wish I had that radio today.
Ah yes, the Zenith transoceanic S/W radio.

We had one of those and the battery took up a huge part of the back.

I miss that old radio.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

MGMcAnick wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:15 am
Does anyone else remember "C" cells?

I have ONE Radio Shack AM/FM/Shortwave radio that goes through its three "C" cells about once a year. It was a Christmas present, probably 35 years ago, from Mrs Mc's dad. I'm sure it wasn't cheap. Digital read out, Push button station setting. Still works great.

Mrs Mc brought a smaller transistor radio to the hospital for me. It will fit in a shirt pocket. I gotta have my morning NPR. She couldn't visit, but she could drop stuff off before her positive test. Then she had to quarantine at home for 14 days. (She's had practically no symptoms, and is now in the clear.)

I was amused at the number of nurses who commented on my little old radio. One, I'm going to guess in her mid 20s, said she'd never seen one. Makes me feel really old. I felt old in there anyway.
I have a portable radio and an electric lantern that uses C batteries.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

MGMcAnick wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:37 pm
BoSoxGal wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:21 am
I have used my phone for both local (KMUW member) and national NPR, especially when travelling. (Remember travelling?) I have the app, but I prefer my old radio.
Not that it's a big deal at all, but there are a few seconds lag in the transmission on the phone's WiFi.
I listen through my phone all the time...most web broadcasts from radio stations have a ~10 second lag.