My new ride

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
TPFKA@W

My new ride

Post by TPFKA@W »

So when this pandemic nonsense is over we want to hit the road around the US. Possibly western Canada for a summer. Just drive. So we went car shopping and I ended up buying this Beast. Terrible gas mileage but safety and comfort were the goals. It is incredibly easy to drive for it's monstrous size. Plenty of room if we want to take the grandbrats with us.

eddieq

Re: My new ride

Post by eddieq »

I rented a high end Navigator in Anaheim a few years back. It was huge, went really fast and got really shitty gas mileage. Loved every second of it, especially the "ass conditioned" seats in the LA weather.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Well Lauren Fix likes it.

It's worth watching her 1/2 hour review of this vehicle - your model might be a different trim level, but she probably talks about some features you may not be aware of. Lauren has been a car reviewer for Oprah and briefly, I think, for CNN.

25 years ago her daughter and ours attended the same preschool in Clarence NY, a suburb of Buffalo, so we were friends. They lived near us, and if you watch the video she talks about the GPS (etc) screen and in fact her home and mine are in the screen around 12 minutes. She's driving in my old neighborhood.

Lauren used to have light brown hair. Last time I saw Lauren I was in the supermarket, and this lady was waving at me. She seemed to know me but I could not place her. I got home and said to my wife: "Has Lauren changed her hair?" "Yes, it's black now." I think it looked better the old color but what do I know.

Anyway she's a good car person.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Nice car.

If you ever drive to Mexico, you could probably haul quite a few Mexicans back with you.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

No immediate plans to go to Mexico even by accident. The car would not allow it. In fact I believe the car is Canadian.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Congrats on the new wheels, and the great plan for a road trip! Nothing like a vehicle you love!! This month is the two year anniversary of getting my beautiful Bimmer, and I still love it every single time I get behind the wheel. Looking forward to a good road trip myself to see my Maryland/DC family and friends, when it’s safe.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Gob

Post by Gob »

America, destroying the planet one trip at a time! ;-)

(Nice wheels but wouldn't be a good drive hereabouts, ask Econoline!)
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

eddieq wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:08 am
I rented a high end Navigator in Anaheim a few years back. It was huge, went really fast and got really shitty gas mileage. Loved every second of it, especially the "ass conditioned" seats in the LA weather.
You could fry bacon on the heated seats. The massage seat is just decadence. I can see me just sitting in the car for that. There is a tinge of guilt but I worked my ass off for 40 years and deserve it. And I bought this with “my” money though hubby offered. It is 100% mine.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I’m thinking of buying a Subaru Forester in the future. As soon as I figure I can justify the expense.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Crackpot wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:07 pm
I’m thinking of buying a Subaru Forester in the future.
I think you have to sign a contract that you will never go faster than the speed limit less 10mph. If you get an Outback you have to agree to never go slower than 120% of the speed limit.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Congrats on your acquisition, @w! Best wishes for happy traveling.

I bought myself a Lincoln MKZ a year and a half ago and it is by far the most luxurious car I have ever owned; I never owned a Ford product before and I am favorably impressed with this one. Oh, and Gob, mine's a hybrid gas/electric, so I'm passing my hydrocarbon savings on to @w.
GAH!

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Long Run wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:46 pm
Crackpot wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:07 pm
I’m thinking of buying a Subaru Forester in the future.
I think you have to sign a contract that you will never go faster than the speed limit less 10mph. If you get an Outback you have to agree to never go slower than 120% of the speed limit.
The wife has an Outback that is really nice (can’t get another that’s one step away from matching sweaters). Finally the new Forester looks really nice (and I fit in it too) plus that boxer engine gets great gas mileage with decent power. (I was driving almost 90 miles one way to work when gas hit $5 dollars per gallon some years back I don’t find 20-25 mpg impressive anymore)
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

A year since I bought my Challenger...I like it. First road trip in it might be this summer.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

We are going to take a drive down to Savannah the middle of next week. We want to hit Charleston and then Gatlinburg on the way back up. I will let you know how the test drive goes. There are mountains involved.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Savannah is lovely but I like Charleston better.

I had to escape today so heading to the Cape with a detour in Plymouth for brunch first.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Stop posting road trips. It makes me wish I could ride my motorcycle.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Guinevere wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:40 pm

I had to escape today so heading to the Cape with a detour in Plymouth for brunch first.
Best place for seafood in Charleston?

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:09 am
Stop posting road trips. It makes me wish I could ride my motorcycle.
Who (or what) is stopping you?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:52 am
Guinevere wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:40 pm

Best place for seafood in Charleston?
I haven’t been since I was in college, so I have no idea, but it’s just such a gorgeous city and location. It’s also really southern, so be prepared. As for eating, pretty sure you can get good seafood almost anywhere.

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

My brother used to live in Goose Creek (north or Charleston). I would make the road trip from PA to SC a couple times a year between semesters, etc. Beautiful town. Great "tourist stuff" and for the most part great places to eat.